"All Bookmarks are gone" - Bring them back!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
PROSPERO28

Post by PROSPERO28 »

I've been trying all the ways you described, guys. None of them seems to help.
But, I've spotted another way to get at least part of my bookmarks back. It's as follows: Documents and settings/XP/Application Data/Phoenix/Profiles/default/kfrbgt89(random)/bookmarks.html

As I noticed this file includes major part of my bookmarks, excluding only the latest ones. It seems that those missing ones are the bookmarks that I've created since the last Mozilla update (1.0.2).
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Sorry, I don't think you did try everything. The very first message of this thread has links that would have lead you right to that information.

Post by Guest »

Thanks so much....I was scared that I had lost everything.....awesome!!!!
v12kid

Post by v12kid »

I just tried all the suggested fixes and it appears EVERYTHING is lost unless someone comes up with a fix. This is VERY dissapointing as I had loads of bookmarks.. *sigh*

matt
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Look at the first few messages in this thread, and the sticky note at the top of the Support Forum. Also take a look here.
MsDetta

Post by MsDetta »

Would you like a screenshot?
MsDetta

Post by Guest »

How do you handle this situation if you're still on Windows 98???
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

The same way. It's simpler because the search box has fewer options, but you still have to read them.

Post by Guest »

Hello,

bad day. Reading all these advices I had a hope I will restore my bookmarks easily. Unfortunately I had no luck :(

My OS is XP professional.
I do not know exactly why my bookmarks disappeared. Most probably FF crash. I shut down my computer in the evening (looks like there was everything ok with bookmarks then) and next morning bookmarks were gone :( It's very heavy loss :(

I tried everything. First I would like to say that I haven't found parent.lock file when FF is closed. When FF is running I can see this file. So described procedure with firefox.exe -p didnėt žork for meš Then I searched bookmark* but had no luck finding lost bookmarks. Then I tried restore deleted files with TuneUp. TuneUp found few deleted bookmark files (though their condition were bad) and I restored them.
These files were biggest among all bookmark* file I've found on my computer.

Then I opened restored bookmark file (C:\MFT 3347\yyy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\zieubara.default) but whole page content is following:

ўјҐЉС+Є{Gmъћb­лPм›х@l«¦љ?_‰8ЮRЉй‰шќђGЩ¤фбm+k1ВЃ=nаТПhpMcЕYќn‡пЅБ-јРюёw1 uјjИ 4J¦]_.sw””Guщm„фLЄE>Nнfй1hЋїгЗяDыК;Кѓbnµєк*Еµ*њ‡Щьkъс©ћ*TЭЌHЯ Дзўё7’P{2Т_-xђOФTbлw`Х¬лњЏ¬Я>\Ю€"zТBuD“QЅіб"ЄcЂQРxРњ
I think it is namely that bookmark file (considering size and date) but how to repair it?

Then I tried open restored bookmark.html.moztmp file (same path C:\MFT 3347\yyy\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\zieubara.default) and got 2 options Open with moztmp_auto_file (default) or save it to disk. When I click open nothing happens.

Do not know what to do. Maybe try unistall and re-install FF? :( :(

Dzen
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Guests,
Please enter a name when you reply. It makes things easier.

Most Recent Guest,
You can open those files with Fx. See my link in the message on June 21. Also, please state the file names.

Post by Guest »

AnotherGuest. wrote:Guests,
Please enter a name when you reply. It makes things easier.

Most Recent Guest,
You can open those files with Fx. See my link in the message on June 21. Also, please state the file names.

I said that when I open bookmark file I am getting not bookmarks list but pile of symbols. Opened FF page looks like this:

ўјҐЉС+Є{Gmъћb­лPм›х@l«¦љ?_‰8ЮRЉй‰шќђGЩ¤фбm+k1ВЃ=nаТПhpMcЕYќn‡пЅБ-јРюёw1 uјjИ 4J¦]_.sw””Guщm„фLЄE>Nнfй1hЋїгЗяDыК;Кѓbnµєк*Еµ*њ‡Щьkъс©ћ*TЭЌHЯ Дзўё7’P{2Т_-xђOФTbлw`Х¬лњЏ¬Я>\Ю€"zТBuD“QЅіб"ЄcЂQРxРњ

I read everything you post and done everything. As I said I found deleted bookmark files with TuneUp utilities program. These files (both 125KB both has same path. Bookmark is htm file, bookmark.html is moztmp file) was biggest of all bookmark.html files. I do not know is it overwritten or what.

Dzen

Post by Guest »

I forgot to mention one thing. When bookmarks disappeared I did FF setup procedure. Maybe that is the problem?I have latest version of FF.

Dzen
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

The Fx installation program does not affect your bookmarks, so you don't have to worry about that.

I would expect at least one of them to have recoverable bookmarks. But if you open them and they have no readable bookmarks, it doesn't look good. Try opening the file in a text editor. If there is nothing that looks like bookmarks, with readable Web addresses, it looks like the file has been written over.

Post by Guest »

AnotherGuest. wrote:The Fx installation program does not affect your bookmarks, so you don't have to worry about that.

I would expect at least one of them to have recoverable bookmarks. But if you open them and they have no readable bookmarks, it doesn't look good. Try opening the file in a text editor. If there is nothing that looks like bookmarks, with readable Web addresses, it looks like the file has been written over.

AG,

thank you for the advice. Please forgive my ignorance what is text editor? I never used it. What program is it?

Dzen
hellene

Post by hellene »

Notepad is a text editor supplied with all windows software (start>all programs>accessibility>notepad on XP Pro). Sometimes these little utilities that read ASCII text only can make sense of files with destroyed formatting that browsers or word processing programs cannot read. Read all thru your recovered file in Notepad - even if the first page is all Greek that can sometimes just be destroyed formatting, and you find the actual text a page or so down. If it's all greek or symbols though, then it's not looking good.
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy