How to load correct Flash version in Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Peter-T

Re: How to load correct Flash version in Firefox

Post by Peter-T »

VanillaMozilla wrote:OK, I don't know what's going on. Today from a different Windows computer get.adobe.com is downloading the stub installer "install_flashplayer11x32_mssd_aih.exe", whether or not you have Flash enabled, and whether or not you want the additional "security" software. We'll never know what happened.

I think that is the normal behaviour just as you describe, at least it is in other browsers.

Indeed I guess we won't know what happened, but for sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

I do appreciate you tried to help, thanks all.
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

Peter-T wrote:AIUI the McAfee & Google additions are the maker's way of supporting what is, to be fair, a free product. I know from experience Flash updates "invite" user to install similar in other browsers. The default assumption is the user will agree unless user unchecks.

Adobe Products are quite profitable on their own. https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog.html?promoid=JOOTH They offer Flash and Shockwave Players for free, as that creates a much better market for their high end website publishing products. Far less web surfers would have these players installed if they weren't free, and Adobe and their customers know it. Offering the various other toolbars along with their player downloads is just an effort to squeeze a little more profit from the process.
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
Peter-T

Post by Peter-T »

Gopher John wrote:Adobe Products are quite profitable on their own. https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog.html?promoid=JOOTH They offer Flash and Shockwave Players for free, as that creates a much better market for their high end website publishing products. Far less web surfers would have these players installed if they weren't free, and Adobe and their customers know it. Offering the various other toolbars along with their player downloads is just an effort to squeeze a little more profit from the process.

I think as long as providers are up-front about their tactics it's acceptable, there's a considerable amount out there that is not. In this case Adobe is just about OK, but close with that default option ticked. It's very easy to miss and install unwanted extras inadvertently. It certainly aroused irritation in this discussion, that said I thought the staff member "Chris" gave pretty decent replies
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4692105

As a new Firefox user I'm a bit disconcerted by what intermittently appears to be considerable Google linked activity going on in the background, sometimes slowing things down. I've no idea if that's related to some agreement with the makers of Firefox or beyond their control.