Couldn't load XPCOM

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
joseff

Couldn't load XPCOM

Post by joseff »

Hi. Today I got message "Couldn't load XPCOM" when I launched Firefox. It happens every few starts and don't know how to solve it. I reinstalled Firefox and it still appears :evil:
JayhawksRock

Re: Couldn't load XPCOM

Post by JayhawksRock »

It seems to be a Win 8 problem if/when you put a shortcut to Firefox in the startup folder.... other than that I dont have a clue

From Mozilla Support
If this error only happens when you put a shortcut to Firefox in the startup folder, it would appear that there is something called XPCOM that needs to finish loading before Firefox can load. I have honestly never heard of that problem before, so if that's the case, we should file a bug about it since it seems Windows 8 specific
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
joseff

Post by joseff »

Where's this startup folder? I use ccleaner to manage all startup applications but I can see there only them which I selected. There are no firefox entries there.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Do not use ccleaner for anything related to Firefox or it's profile. The program is too stupid understand the various files related to Firefox and how they work
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

joseff wrote:Where's this startup folder? I use ccleaner to manage all startup applications but I can see there only them which I selected. There are no firefox entries there.

The reference was to the Windows Startup folder http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... windows-8/

you can hope Ccleaner has not destroyed your OS settings too!
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
joseff

Post by joseff »

1) I checked autostart folder and there's nothing inside.

2) I unmarked all related things with firefox in ccleaner. I used this tool for maybe 2 years and there were no problems before today.