Still cannot view PDFs on Firefox 17

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jcobban

Still cannot view PDFs on Firefox 17

Post by jcobban »

The electronic payment site for my employer attempts to display and print my paystub using the following code:

Code: Select all

<object classid="clsid:CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000" type="application/pdf" style="width:100%;height:100%;position:absolute;top:0px;left:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;">
             <param id="objectParam" name="src" value="pdfobject.aspx?"></param>
             <embed id="objectEmbed" type="application/pdf" width="100%" height="100%" src="pdfobject.aspx?"></embed>
          </object>

This fails on Firefox 17, as it has on every recent release because Firefox cannot find a plugin that will handle the PDF file embedded in the page in this way, obviously by some idiot who thinks that everyone in the world is still running IE and Windows!

I would really like access to my pay stubs.
DanRaisch

Re: Still cannot view PDFs on Firefox 17

Post by DanRaisch »

Can you right click on the link and download it to your local system to read the PDF?
jcobban

Post by jcobban »

DanRaisch wrote:Can you right click on the link and download it to your local system to read the PDF?

What link? All I have is a window with a gray rectangle with what looks like a white Lego block and the text "A plugin is needed to display this content. Install plugin..." When I click on the "Install plugin" linke, or the "Install Missing Plugins" button above the gray rectangle I get "No suitable plugins were found." When I right click and examine the element using Firebug it shows the <embed> tag.

Do I have to write my own plugin? I am an experienced C and C++ programmer but I have no idea how to get started writing a plugin.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

This is a know bug, Bug 738967 - pdf.js doesn't work for embedded PDFs. when trying to display a PDF using an "embed" tag like this

Code: Select all

<embed id="objectEmbed" type="application/pdf" width="100%" height="100%" src="pdfobject.aspx?"></embed>

It is somewhat unusual to use an "embed" tag to show a PDF. Having said that the bug is being worked on. If you read the bug report it "was solved" but then resurfaced in some type of regression issue.

To deal with your issue for now I would use some other browser on that site.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

jcobban wrote:Do I have to write my own plugin?

Well, you could do but it might be slightly easier just to do what everyone else does and use one of the many IE extensions for that website. For example - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ab/?src=ss
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
jcobban

Post by jcobban »

Frank Lion wrote:

Well, you could do but it might be slightly easier just to do what everyone else does and use one of the many IE extensions for that website. For example - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ab/?src=ss

That would require installing Wine and IE on Ubuntu. A huge mess. I have since found that installing Acroread also partially solves the problem. That is I can see the PDF document, but I cannot resize the embed so as to be able to see the whole document. Moreover Acroread is also a huge mess of code.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Sounds like someone in your company is programming for IE. Fun times. Have you attempted to contact someone within the organization about getting that mess fixed?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

jcobban wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:

That would require installing Wine and IE on Ubuntu..

How often does someone have to look at their payslips? You really have no access to any machine running Windows? That would be a first, most of us dualboot..
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)