MozillaZine

Bookmarks folders closing when trying to drag bookmark

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
psaulm119

Post Posted January 23rd, 2013, 9:45 am

Not sure how to describe this, but I find that often when I'm trying to drag a bookmark from the URL or my bookmarks bar, into another nested folder in that bookmarks bar, I have trouble keeping the folder that I want to drag it into, open. The folders always open up, but when I try to move the cursor (and the bookmark) to the correct nested folder, sometimes the entire folder closes, other times, the intended nested folder will open, and then close before I can release the bookmark.

Is there a setting for leaving bookmark folders open longer? No jokes about Parkinson's please, this is an annoyance I'd like to get rid of if I can.
Paul

JayhawksRock

Post Posted January 23rd, 2013, 10:16 am

Use the Library to organize Bookmarks... Ctrl+Shift+B It will stay open forever.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." ~ Abraham Lincoln

RobertJ

Post Posted January 23rd, 2013, 11:19 am

psaulm119 wrote:Not sure how to describe this, but I find that often when I'm trying to drag a bookmark from the URL or my bookmarks bar, into another nested folder in that bookmarks bar, I have trouble keeping the folder that I want to drag it into, open. The folders always open up, but when I try to move the cursor (and the bookmark) to the correct nested folder, sometimes the entire folder closes, other times, the intended nested folder will open, and then close before I can release the bookmark.

Is there a setting for leaving bookmark folders open longer?

That issue has been around for a while which is why I generally use the Bookmarks sidebar. I find that you have to move the cursor quickly to keep a folder open; the downside is that I often move it too far and it closes anyway. I'm not aware of a setting but have not looked at the source code.

FF 39.0 - FF 40.0b1 - FF42.0a - TB 38.0.1 - TB 38.0b6 - TB 41.0a - Mac OSX 10.10.4 Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5500
Computers I've used: IBM 7094/UNIVAC 1108/IBM 360/DEC PDP11/DEC VAX-11 780/DEC VAXstation 8000/Sun SPARCstation 2/Mac from 1984 to 2015

psaulm119

Post Posted January 23rd, 2013, 12:33 pm

RobertJ wrote:That issue has been around for a while which is why I generally use the Bookmarks sidebar. I find that you have to move the cursor quickly to keep a folder open; the downside is that I often move it too far and it closes anyway. I'm not aware of a setting but have not looked at the source code.

OK, that good old bookmarks star is back on my toolbar. I haven't used it since I found how convenient a bookmarks toolbar is. But that's ok--clicking on that star opens up the bookmarks sidebar, which, as you've suggested, stays open as long as I want it to.

Sometimes doing something slowly, once, is better than doing it quickly and goofing it up.

Thanks to you both for the replies.
Paul

Anonymosity

Post Posted January 23rd, 2013, 1:47 pm

I found that cut and paste works fine.

psaulm119

Post Posted January 23rd, 2013, 1:53 pm

Anonymosity wrote:I found that cut and paste works fine.

Never thought of pasting URLs into a folder to create a bookmark. You're right, it works, although I'm not sure its quicker than the sidebar. Interesting, though.
Paul

Alice0775

Post Posted January 25th, 2013, 1:04 am

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
e10s destroys my Firefox.
Fx-team destroys my Firefox.
Firefox :: Collections :: Add-ons for Firefox, Git Hub uc.js & cb

Return to Firefox Support