FF 19 problems with PDF.js

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
rfalcon

FF 19 problems with PDF.js

Post by rfalcon »

I've noticed with the new FF 19 that PDF files from a site I use no longer render properly. It just gives the 'This PDF document might not be displayed properly'. Clicking on the "Open With a Different Viewer" button and selecting Adobe works fine - the page displays as expected.

There doesnt seem to be any debug available in FF 19 with the pdf.js extension so I'm not sure what's happening. The PDF stream from the server looks fine - I can manually save this as a file and open in Adobe Reader, etc.

Any ideas how to debug this?

Thanks.
Dingler

Re: FF 19 problems with PDF.js

Post by Dingler »

Please, provide a PDF link if possible.
harrier-jj

Post by harrier-jj »

https://otago.ps.org.nz/sites/all/files ... -12-03.pdf and a few others on that site. Do you want me to inquire how they were created, I guess it says inside the file already.
swolfearch

Post by swolfearch »

Same problem; pdfs don't open automatically. The displayed file is not a pdf; if saved, it wants to be HTML or txt.
Dingler

Post by Dingler »

PDF.js is still experimental and versions in FF20 and FF21 are better. If you have some time to spent, report the issue with your example here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug. ... F%20Viewer
rock21586

Post by rock21586 »

Solution if Customers have already updated to FF19

Go to Firefox -> Options

Go to Applications Tab

Search PDF and then from Actions dropdown menu Select the Use Adobe Acrobat in Firefox option.
swolfearch

Post by swolfearch »

I had the "use Adobe in Firefox" option checked before the update; now it doesn't show as an option.

Someone else said to enter "about:config" in the search box, then change pdfjs.disabled;false to true. That eliminated the lock-up, but all pdfs automatically brought up the "save as" dialogue box, with no option to open, so I changed that setting back. Lock-ups don't happen now.
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

In Firefox | Options | on the Applications Tab scroll down to Portable Document Format (PDF). There, you should be able to select Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox) in the pull-down. PDF is no longer clustered with the other Adobe files on the Applications Tab.
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
swolfearch

Post by swolfearch »

As noted, I was using "use adobe in firefox" before the update, and it did not appear as an option afterward.

However, and I wish I could remember exactly what I did - a combination of following several suggestions and reversing some of them - everything seems to be back to normal, i.e., working the way it did before the update.

I cannot understand why an "upgrade" with problems like this would be released.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
swolfearch

Post by swolfearch »

"In Firefox | Options | on the Applications Tab scroll down to Portable Document Format (PDF). There, you should be able to select Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox) in the pull-down. PDF is no longer clustered with the other Adobe files on the Applications Tab."

Portable Document Format (PDF) does not appear in the applications.
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

If Portable Document Format (PDF) doesn't appear on the Applications Tab, then your profile is munged somehow. Nothing in the Firefox update should have done that.
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
pwillener

Post by pwillener »

I had exactly the same problem (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2665829), and resetting the Firefox profile restored 'Portable Document Format' in the Applications tab. Changed it to 'Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox)' and I can now view online PDF docs correctly with the Adobe Reader plugin.
SoftRocker

Post by SoftRocker »

Here's what worked for me. Following the steps of Tools > Options > Applications as noted in other post, I changed portable pdfs to open in acrobat. I closed my browser. I clicked the link to the troublesome PDF, which opened the PDF correctly in acrobat. Then I repeated the steps in my browser to set portable pdfs to open in the viewer. I closed my browser. I clicked the link to the troublesome PDF, which opened the PDF correctly in the browser. Problem solved. :D