MozillaZine

FF21: No longer sees WMP Plug-in

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MarkRH

Post Posted May 15th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Another solution; although, probably not be the best, is to copy the C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\Plugins folder to C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\browser\Plugins. This may or may not work for all plug-ins that get installed into this folder.

This is on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system. Doing this allows the plug-ins to be seen while keeping the plugins.load_appdir_plugins set to false (if the setting gets removed in a future version). As long as this about:config option is available, it's probably the easiest thing to change for now.

Oh, here's a version of the registry hack that works with Windows 7 Pro/SP1 64bit
Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MozillaPlugins\@Microsoft.com/np-mswmp,version=1.0.0.8]
"Description"="WMP Firefox Plugin"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Mozilla Firefox\\plugins\\np-mswmp.dll"
"ProductName"="Windows Media Player Plugin"
"Vendor"="Microsoft"
"Version"="1.0.0.8"

So, you have three options to get this plug-in working again.

albert764

Post Posted May 16th, 2013, 1:01 am

Hello folks,

I am a very non-technical Firefox user in England and find that, when upgrading to 21 this problem has reared its head and there are things which I could view 24 hours ago, but cannot now. The posts above mean absolutely nothing to me, but I wanted to know how to get this bug fixed.

It has been suggested to me elsewhere that a resolution is known, but will never be incorporated into a new version of Firefox. Is this true, and if it is how can I get Firefox to display the material which is affected by this mystery?

I keep seeing the word "registry" in the above and I vaguely know that it is something very basic to the workings of Windows and something which a non-techy like me should never, ever, go near.

So, please, what is the solution in plain, non-technical, English?

Kevin McFarlane

Post Posted May 16th, 2013, 3:36 am

nwg wrote:Still it bothers me that they would be so inconsiderate. They did this knowingly, without not even a notification and it's not something that the average user can fix easily. So to this user the browser feels and is broken.

Yes, it's very poor form. :shock:

Vitesse

Post Posted May 16th, 2013, 5:31 am

albert764 wrote:Hello folks,

I am a very non-technical Firefox user in England and find that, when upgrading to 21 this problem has reared its head and there are things which I could view 24 hours ago, but cannot now. The posts above mean absolutely nothing to me, but I wanted to know how to get this bug fixed.

It has been suggested to me elsewhere that a resolution is known, but will never be incorporated into a new version of Firefox. Is this true, and if it is how can I get Firefox to display the material which is affected by this mystery?

I keep seeing the word "registry" in the above and I vaguely know that it is something very basic to the workings of Windows and something which a non-techy like me should never, ever, go near.

Rather than messing around with the registry, which can be fraught with danger - and will also need to be done every time the plugin version number changes - this is the easiest solution:

1 Open a new tab and type about:config into the address bar.
2 Click on the button that says "I'll be careful, I promise".
3 In the search bar at the top, type plugins.load
4 That will show you a line which says plugins.load_appdir_plugins - which will be set to false.
5 Highlight that line by right-clicking on it. Select "Toggle" - that will change the setting to true.
6 Close the tab and restart Firefox. Your missing plugin(s) should now be visible and work as before.

albert764

Post Posted May 16th, 2013, 6:00 am

Thank you Vitesse. All now sorted.

Don't worry, there is no way I would have tried to do anything to the "registry" - even if I had known how to. I would have sooner given up on Firefox, though the alternatives don't really attract me.

MarkRH

Post Posted May 16th, 2013, 2:02 pm

albert764 wrote:Hello folks,

If you read my post more closely, the registry thing is just one of three possible ways to get the plug-in working again and is by no means necessary. By far the easiest way at the moment is to toggle the plugins.load_appdir_plugins setting in about:config from false to true like you have now done. :) I will admit Vitesse's step-by-step directions in how to do this is more helpful for those that have never messed with about:config settings.

albert764

Post Posted May 16th, 2013, 2:34 pm

Thanks Mark. As I said, my understanding of the posts prior to my own initial one was utterly zero, even reading "more closely". All I knew was that this mysterious "registry" kept on being mentioned, though I knew not what it implied - except "keep well clear". However, thanks to the clear explanation from Vitesse, I am now OK.

teodorgant

Post Posted May 17th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Vitesse wrote:Rather than messing around with the registry, which can be fraught with danger - and will also need to be done every time the plugin version number changes - this is the easiest solution:

1 Open a new tab and type about:config into the address bar.
2 Click on the button that says "I'll be careful, I promise".
3 In the search bar at the top, type plugins.load
4 That will show you a line which says plugins.load_appdir_plugins - which will be set to false.
5 Highlight that line by right-clicking on it. Select "Toggle" - that will change the setting to true.
6 Close the tab and restart Firefox. Your missing plugin(s) should now be visible and work as before.

There is also this addon for those who do not want to get into the hidden options of Firefox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/plugins-app-dir-restorer/

Return to Firefox Support