Stop Firefox From Sending System Information ?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
James

Re: Stop Firefox From Sending System Information ?

Post by James »

the-edmeister wrote:I reported this thread in the appropriate Site Discussion thread, so that a moderator can deal with it.

I take it this is the first time you have ever seen one of these http://www.danasoft.com signs over the years? as this has existed since at least Oct 2003. It is just a simple way of showing (only you) your location based on your IP and your system details based on browser user agent used at the time of viewing. No hacking or anything bad is happening.

Used to see these in some forums posts or sigs in earlier days more when it was it was a newer thing at time.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

dfoulkes wrote:
Lee_Dailey wrote:

i misunderstood what was happening _entirely_. [*sigh ...*] the link is auto-generating an image based on browser snooping so we are all seeing _our_ data there.

makaiguy is quite correct and i am going to have to learn to read AND understand posts. [*blush*]
lee-

That is funny... so, I guess my post was pretty much to myself ](*,)

[*grin*]
Gort

Post by Gort »

Gingerbread Man wrote:
Noah Werka wrote:||danasoft.com^

Gort wrote:Yes, doing what you say will just hide those annoying images, but the website will still know your precious IP and other system data that is necessarily divulged.

No. If you set up a blocking filter in Adblock Plus, then the request matching that filter will never be sent out. In the example provided, all requests to danasoft.com are filtered. So Firefox will never communicate with that server, unless you visit a page on danasoft.com: Adblock Plus doesn't block top-level URLs (what you see in the address bar).

Hiding filters only remove items from view. They're used to get rid of items that are part of the webpage and cannot be blocked, so in that case Firefox does communicate with the server.

For the technical details, see How does Adblock Plus block addresses? and How does element hiding work?

My point was really that you could hide the image but your IP will still be known by the website you visit (I didn't make it clear that I was meaning the website visited, so sorry about that).