firefox using excessive amount of cpu

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
manrow

firefox using excessive amount of cpu

Post by manrow »

I have read why firefox uses so much of my computer(s) cpu time, and have tried to follow the ideas on how I can counter this effect. However I have to ask why does Internet Explorer not use anything like as much cpu?
Furthermore it seems to me that firefox is updated too frequently? Is that the experience of others?
I presume that many of the designers of the firefox application will be using the latest state-of-the-art computers which may be why with my older machines I get so much trouble.
LoudNoise

Re: firefox using excessive amount of cpu

Post by LoudNoise »

How much CPU is to much? Comparing it to I.E. doesn't make sense, I.E. is part of the Windows Operating System so a good deal of its CPU is hidden.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

manrow wrote:I have read why firefox uses so much of my computer(s) cpu time, and have tried to follow the ideas on how I can counter this effect. However I have to ask why does Internet Explorer not use anything like as much cpu?
Furthermore it seems to me that firefox is updated too frequently? Is that the experience of others?
I presume that many of the designers of the firefox application will be using the latest state-of-the-art computers which may be why with my older machines I get so much trouble.

1st... some heavy users around here are still using old(er) XP machines... with minimal memory and Firefox is working fine in there...

2nd... what extensions/themes etc. users have added to their Firefox profile(s) can greatly affect how much memory is used and how hard the CPU has to work...

It would be better if you would list out some of the changes you've made to your Firefox.. those changes that you've read in those "ideas" areas... extensions/themes you've installed etc... in that way we can better help you with your question.

As for the updating schedule... it's basically every 6 weeks... but there is what's called an ESR version that you may be interested in... but, that can wait until your other issues are answered.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

It makes no sense to claim that Firefox uses "too much" CPU without saying what it is Firefox is doing. Just sitting there, displaying a static
web page, it uses essentially ZERO cpu, the same as IE. Scrolling the page around, cpu usage jumps up for a second or two, the same as IE does (only IE uses
MORE cpu doing that on my machine). See what I mean?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

The interesting thing is that the OP posted....
I have read why firefox uses so much of my computer(s) cpu time

... and not the normal cpu number "%" that most users post... the "time" is pretty meaningless when you think about it.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Firefox has progressively used more and more CPU in subsequent versions. This has been through a combination of new functionality, bug fixes, and making things "faster". For the most part, this has been an improvement as modern CPUs are more than capable of handling the load. If you have a fairly old CPU then you may notice these improvements as a degradation because your CPU has maxed out.

Other than that banal generality, its hard to say much without knowing what you are regarding as excessive, and why.
trolly

Post by trolly »

I experienced that some toolbars can hog a complete core. Check your addons.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
slrman

Post by slrman »

Firefox using way too much CPU has been a problem for years. Even with FF23, it has not been fixed. Don't tell me about add-ons and themes, not using any of either does not help.

I like the add-ons, I have never used any themes. But this problem not having been fixed after years of complaints, tells me the developers simply do not care or are unable t change it.

Goodby, FF. Welcome back Safari. Even IE would be an improvement. :x [-X [-(
If freedom means anything at all, it is the liberty to tell others what they do not want to hear.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Go tell it Mozilla... we are a community of users just like you http://www.mozillazine.org/about/ so we dont care what browser you use...
Oh... and have a nice Life.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln