Firefox 22 font is huge!!!!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Gubbio

Re: Firefox 22 font is huge!!!!

Post by Gubbio »

jscher2000 wrote:Example of layout.css.devPixelsPerPx change = 1.0 and Theme Font & Size Changer set to 15:

https://support.cdn.mozilla.net/media/u ... 1757e3.png

Thanks.

"layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" took care if the screen resolution. It was the resulting small fonts that really bothered me. "Theme Font & Size Changer" took care of that. Looks good.

I'm still in the camp that thinks all this "tweaking" shouldn't be necessary to maintain what was "normal" before an "upgrade."

Not everyone thinks this is "fun." I, for one, just want a product to work "out of the box" the way I expect it to work, with a minimum of aggravation.

Many people will get disgusted and leave FF. Either they don't have the know-how -- or don't want to learn.

What could the developers possibly be thinking? :-k

-Mike
Sabin

Post by Sabin »

Gubbio wrote:I'm still in the camp that thinks all this "tweaking" shouldn't be necessary to maintain what was "normal" before an "upgrade."

Not everyone thinks this is "fun." I, for one, just want a product to work "out of the box" the way I expect it to work, with a minimum of aggravation.

Many people will get disgusted and leave FF. Either they don't have the know-how -- or don't want to learn.

What could the developers possibly be thinking? :-k

Hear, hear !
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Gubbio wrote:Not everyone thinks this is "fun."

Did someone claim this was fun? Not me.
willarson

Post by willarson »

jscher2000,
Cool, just the facts man.

old school.....sight change from Dragnet.
Gubbio

Post by Gubbio »

Elbart wrote:Give this a try:
Right-click on the Firefox-shortcut, "Properties", select "Compatibility" and check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".

That didn't work on my system.

Elbart wrote:I don't understand the annoyed posts at all. By setting higher DPI, you get everything in higher DPI, so everything is larger. Isn't that what you want?

No, that ISN'T what I want! [-X

I want the screen resolution normal, not larger than Version 21. And, when I get the screen resolution back to normal, I then get fonts (on menus) half of their normal size. (Squint!) :shock:

Then, I have to download an add-on to get the fonts back to normal.

It's simply a crazy way of doing business. This shouldn't be necessary.

It's asinine! #-o ](*,)
Last edited by Gubbio on July 3rd, 2013, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gubbio

Post by Gubbio »

Ortho_Fan wrote: I encourage you to click on the HELP menu, and then "Submit Feedback" and click on the the "Firefox made me sad" link (who thinks of this stuff!) to post your two cents.

I took your advice and did just that.

I've been a loyal user since Version 4, but now things are getting ridiculous. :roll:
harryb649

Post by harryb649 »

Not being a computer geek it toke me most of the afternoon and evening to get Firefox back to were it was before the up grade. Thanks for the help folks
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Gubbio wrote:Then, I have to download an add-on to get the fonts back to normal.

As far as I understand this, the problem is: What you considered "normal" is actually buggy, because Firefox wasn't respecting the system-DPI setting in the whole application.
gone
Gubbio

Post by Gubbio »

Elbart wrote:As far as I understand this, the problem is: What you considered "normal" is actually buggy, because Firefox wasn't respecting the system-DPI setting in the whole application.

Maybe we're saying the same thing.....

But, "normal" would be for all applications to respect the system-wide DPI setting.

"Buggy" would be Firefox's complete disregard of that setting -- and overriding it with no warning or explanation on how to prevent or correct it. That's simply and completely wrong, in my opinion.

The onus should be on Firefox to "play nice" -- not on the users to have to scramble and figure out a work-around.

That's my complaint. :twisted:
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Firefox was overriding before 22. That's the whole point of the change.
gone
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

You sound just like the devs. Obviously no visual problems for you either
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Gubbio

Post by Gubbio »

Elbart wrote:Firefox was overriding before 22. That's the whole point of the change.

It wasn't overriding here. 21 was fine. No change was necessary. :?:
DSperber

Post by DSperber »

Well, I'm not liking this v22 font presentation either.

I actually thought it was caused by "graphics acceleration" being turned off, which is what happened a few months back when ATI's Catalyst 12.8 video driver had been blacklisted by Firefox for causing instability and I had to go back to 12.6 to get it back on, until ATI fixed the driver in a later version 12.10 and it was acceptable to Firefox.

I've been fooling with the +/- zoom button because I thought maybe the web sites had suddenly (and simultaneously) changed their presentation... but obviously they wouldn't all have made a similar change on the same day.

But it would appear that the problem is not being caused by graphics acceleration being disabled. It appears to be caused by something in Firefox v22 itself, from the discussion.

But the current appearance for me certainly looks like it did when graphics acceleration was disabled... with more blocky characters, vertical spacing between lines reduced, horizontal spacing between characters on one line reduced, etc., giving an overall "busier" more compressed text appearance. Definitely NOT what I wanted.

I'm not pleased.
DSperber

Post by DSperber »

I've added the "No Squint" add-on, which makes zooming just a bit simpler and more visible. Altering the zoom increment to just 5% at a time is a bit more convenient.

But that doesn't change the difference in actual character appearance with v22. The rendering really does seem like it does when graphics acceleration was disabled... blocky, more "dense", just not as pretty.

I've now reinstalled v21 of Firefox and will stay with it certainly for the time being. I'm just used to the way various Forums and web sites look in their characters, and cannot accept how DIFFERENT those characters look with v22. Again, it's not a zoom issue (which is easily solved). It's an APPEARANCE issue for the rendering of those characters.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

malliz wrote:You sound just like the devs.

So?

malliz wrote:Obviously no visual problems for you either

So you prefer having two different DPI-settings within one application? Because
that's a visual problem in my book, when one string of text with one size
(i.e. 12pt) has two different display-sizes within the program, depending on
where it is located.

Gubbio wrote:It wasn't overriding here.

Yes, it was. It used its own (static?) DPI-kerfuffle for the website-content and
the OS-setting only for some parts, like text in the menus, tabbar and in the
navigation-bar (but not the images).
In 22 it uses the OS-setting for everything.

---
http://imgur.com/a/A4EFp
Screenshots all done on a new, unmodified profile.

Notice how, in the first picture, the text in the tabbar is considerably smaller
than the first line of the website.
In the second picture, the lowercase m in the tabbar is almost as big as the
uppercase M in the website.
In the third picture, the relations are back to how they are supposed to be.

EDIT:
I added two pictures to the linked gallery: Firefox 21 and 22, resolution 3840*1920px, 192dpi.
Which one would you prefer? ;)
Last edited by Elbart on July 4th, 2013, 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
gone