Firefox 22 font is huge!!!!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Sabin

Re: Firefox 22 font is huge!!!!

Post by Sabin »

Elbart, your whole point is that you are right by the Holy Rules Of Clean Development And System Consistency, even if it is at the cost of destroying the user experience of hunreds of thousands of users, and possibly millions of users.

Don't you see you're wrong while being right ?

There's a keyword missing from your book : user experience.
Lots of firefox extensions splash an explanation page when they're updated. WHY NOT WITH FIREFOX ? Adding a page to show on next boot to tell "we've made a BIG change to your user experience, it's for the best, and look, if you want to customize it back, it's easy, just do that, that and that" ?

Developers are not Roman priests telling right from wrong, they're trying to provide a good experience :)
Gubbio

Post by Gubbio »

Elbart wrote:
Gubbio wrote:It wasn't overriding here.

Yes, it was. It used its own (static?) DPI-kerfuffle for the website-content and
the OS-setting only for some parts, like text in the menus, tabbar and in the
navigation-bar (but not the images).
In 22 it uses the OS-setting for everything.

To elaborate what Sabin said.....

You know, I don't care about your technical babble, how FF does what it does, and what it uses to do it. I shouldn't have to be concerned with those details. No user should.

I only know what I SEE. And, what I SAW when 22 started up was patently WRONG. :shock:

When someone does something right, I am the first to applaud them. =D> When someone does something wrong, I state that as well.

You are the only one who is defending this debacle. You are acting like this is "The Emperor's New Clothes."

What I'd like to know is, why are you being an apologist for Firefox? :?:
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

I just sent a feedback message to Firefox via the link I posted about above, providing a URL to this discussion, as well as a simple recommendation that they make the new dpi scaling enhancement a USER option that can be easily disabled or enabled by clicking on an appropriate selection listed under the Firefox View menu. It could also be listed under the Options menu, but I felt it should be as visible as possible to the novice or non-technical.

To me, this would be the best of all worlds--those that need or want it, would have it; those that don't could easily put things back the way it was without having to hack the configuration settings or install another add-on.

O_F
harryb649

Post by harryb649 »

I just found that adobe read does not work right in Firefox. No menu bar to save . I'm not spending another 1/2 day to fix it
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Gubbio wrote:You are the only one who is defending this debacle.

He's the only one who can be bothered to reply to the empty vessels who make a lot of noise here and who expect Firefox not to obey the very OS system wide dpi settings that they themselves have set.

Gubbio wrote:When someone does something right, I am the first to applaud them. =D> When someone does something wrong, I state that as well.

Get over yourself. No one gives a **** what you do.

You were inconvenienced by having to do one about:config entry and install one extension. Compare that to the kids in blind schools who have been inconvenienced for years by Firefox not correctly applying the OS DPI settings they had set.

So don't kid yourself that he is alone.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Gubbio wrote:You are the only one who is defending this debacle. You are acting like this is "The Emperor's New Clothes."

Actually, he is merely attempting to explain and fix a problem for a small subset of folks who need the Emperor's suit adjusted.

Kindly don't insult the folks who give their time here to help other folks.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
DSperber

Post by DSperber »

You can get the US English v21 download file from the Mozilla releases web site:

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org ... n32/en-US/

All other release versions and languages are also available through this site.

I myself have re-installed v21, as I too feel that the general appearance of fonts and text from v22 looks very similar to how things look if you run with "graphics acceleration" disabled. There is just a different rendering of text and appearance when "graphics acceleration" is enabled vs. disabled (I much prefer enabled). Didn't have this issue with v21.

The first open of v21 will complain about the fact that you're back-level, and they don't recommend it. But just close that tab and you'll never hear from it again. Then just don't open Help -> About, and you'll never initiate an automatic download/update of v22.

I will remain with v21 until this forum confirms that the issues of font rendering brought about with v22 have been resolved, either to make them optional by user setting or to just back it out.

I run a 1920x1200 desktop, with fonts at 125%, and using the layout.css.devpixelsperpx setting of 1.0 in About:Config and then further adjustments from there is NOT AN ACCEPTABLE SOLUTION.

I simply prefer to stick with v21, with the "No Squint" add-on to make zooming a bit more precise and visible (via the add-on bar), where everything was just fine before Mozilla decided to do something really radical with their user interface in v22.

Again, it's not just the zooming of v22 that I object to, and could work around. It's is the APPEARANCE of the fonts/characters, which to me looks like they're not using "graphics acceleration" any longer. The different appearance from not using "graphics acceleration" is dramatic, and in my opinion that's one of the things that Mozilla may have done as part of their new DPI scaling implementation... used software rendering rather than hardware "graphics acceleration". That's what it looks like to me.
Ortho_Fan

Post by Ortho_Fan »

DSperber wrote:You can get the US English v21 download file from the Mozilla releases web site:

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org ... n32/en-US/

All other release versions and languages are also available through this site.

I myself have re-installed v21...

I will remain with v21 until this forum confirms that the issues of font rendering brought about with v22 have been resolved, either to make them optional by user setting or to just back it out......

I was thinking of doing that, myself, but then I stumbled upon this -- http://threatpost.com/14-vulnerabilitie ... irefox-22/ -- and boo-koo other references to the security enhancements in 22.0.

As it is, I've kind of gotten used to the large scale fonts, etc., and if something is too big for me, I use the built-in zoom feature to zoom out. I've already done this on about a hundred sites, which means that it's a safe bet that when the next release comes out, the DPI setting will be back to what it was before 22.0, so I'll have to re-set everything--again. (It's not I'm not a fatalist, I just believe in Murphy's Law.)

O_F
Sabin

Post by Sabin »

Guys, are you open to my "how to" ? With the same problem as everyone, I eventually got firefox 22 to ENTIRELY behave like FF21. Sadly, I also came up on security vulnerabilities mentions, so I think FF22, once re-configured and after the devs are cursed, is a better choice.
- set layout.css.devpixelsperpx to 1 in about:config
- install the Default Zoom Level firefox extension (with 125% fonts in windows, my zooming is default 133%) ( https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/a ... oom-level/ )
- install the Theme Font And Size changer extension ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e-changer/ ), and set fonts to 15

One last time, I understand the point of the devs, that this offers consistency with system settings, and it allows the visually impaired a supposedly more pleasant experience.
But that didn't allow developers to make this derogatory while this meant a massive user experience change, that didn't allow developers to discard even loading an explanation page on firefox startup, and the visually impaired will suffer the same "what the..., everything's huge-er than before, crap, firefox is broken !" problem everyone went through. A sad waste, really. I'm starting to see how I can make chromium work as I make Firefox work...
Last edited by DanRaisch on July 5th, 2013, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Minor edit for language.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Sabin wrote: A sad waste, really. I'm starting to see how I can make chromium work as I make Firefox work...

Feel free, the Chromium devs have already proved that they listen to their users, even less than the Firefox ones.

Who are you guys trying to convince to your point of view? Us? You already know that this is a forum of users, theme/extensions devs, do we look daft? Would you prefer we offered zero solutions to you? Who do you think was betatesting this stuff when you lot were idly watching youtoob vids using the final release of Firefox 16?

Yes, the dpi settings of Firefox do need to be brought into line with the DPI settings of the OS, but like this, without a word of explanation or proper options to revert? What do you think those non-daft betatesters were pointing out to the Mozilla devs ages ago?

You want to do something actually useful? Don't kid yourselves that Mozilla devs come here and will read your stuff. They don't, because we take them to task over silly decisions on the rare occasions that they do.

Filing a bug here, would be a good start - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ and point out (a damn sight more politely than you're doing here) what problems this change has mas made for you.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Sabin wrote:I'm starting to see how I can make chromium work as I make Firefox work...

Have fun. Chrom(e|ium) behaves the same as Fx22, or significantly worse: http://imgur.com/a/DkXPL (screenshots made on Win7).
The blurred text at 144dpi is something special.
Anyway, I'm out.
gone
Ratbert

Post by Ratbert »

I discovered this problem after updating to SeaMonkey 2.19 and Firefox 22. I also have my system set to Large Fonts (120 DPI).

I ended up changing the value of layout.css.devPixelsPerPx in about:config to 1.0 but was not happy with reduced font size in most areas of SeaMonkey.

I ended up creating a userChrome.css file in the chrome folder within my SeaMonkey profile to modify most of the fonts. In my Firefox profile I had to first create a chrome folder. Here what I am using in the userChrome.css file:

/* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning
*/
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */

* {
font-family: Tahoma !important;
font-size: 10.5pt !important;
}

window {
font-family: Tahoma !important;
/* font-weight: bold !important; */
font-size: 10.5pt !important;
}
doogie88

Post by doogie88 »

wtf, why is this not fixed yet?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Read the thread properly
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Ratbert

Post by Ratbert »

To change the font size in about:config and about:data (Password Manger) you will need to create a userContent.css file in your chrome folder in your profile. You may need to adjust the font size. Here is what needs to be entered in the userContent.css file:

@-moz-document url-prefix(about:config) {* {font-family: Tahoma !important; font-size: 10.5pt !important;}}

@-moz-document url-prefix(about:data) {* {font-family: Tahoma !important; font-size: 10.5pt !important;}}