What Happened To the JavaScript Box in V. 23?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
JayhawksRock

Re: What Happened To the JavaScript Box in V. 23?

Post by JayhawksRock »

Anonymosity wrote:So what is the excuse for removing the settings that were still there for javascript permissions and setting them back to defaults? The actions that they block cause major pains.

Please educate me Anonymosity... I've never changed any of those settings. What kind of problems / pains? :shock:
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Those settings are still available in about:config under "dom.disable", and in fact there are about 3 times as many options there as ever appeared in the options panel. Note that because "disable" is in the name of these prefs it means setting them to TRUE disables that feature... I just set all of them true. Also, the only setting that was changed for everyone was javascipt being disabled, all of the individual prefs were left alone.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
patrickjdempsey

Glad I rechecked those settings. Make sure to leave dom.disable_image_src_set as FALSE or else images on just about every website will fail.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

RobertJ wrote:.
The reason for this change is explained in http://limi.net/checkboxes-that-kill/.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

RobertJ wrote:
The reason for this change is explained in http://limi.net/checkboxes-that-kill/.

That only explains why disabing javascript as a whole was taken out of the GUI. I see no excuse for enabling websites to monkey with my context menus or resize my browser window. Those setting were reset to defaults. Since I have a user.js file with those settings in it, it was not a major problem for me, since they were put right back to where I had them after I restarted the browser.
Lassar

Post by Lassar »

RobertJ wrote:
That only explains why disabing javascript as a whole was taken out of the GUI. I see no excuse for enabling websites to monkey with my context menus or resize my browser window. Those setting were reset to defaults. Since I have a user.js file with those settings in it, it was not a major problem for me, since they were put right back to where I had them after I restarted the browser.

I say, I must agree.

If you want to keep these settings away from newbies, put an advanced button there instead.

If the newbie does mess up, have a reset to defaults button in the options menu.
-
Curious about the FCC GROL License ?
patrickjdempsey

About:config IS the advanced options panel. I don't get the point in complaining about this... it's not like they've completely removed it, and it's not like these are settings you ever need to play with.
mod_wastrel

Post by mod_wastrel »

I love about:config... I really do. The "hidden preferences" contain a wealth of... everything except an explanation as to what each and every preference and its settings mean. Sure, there are external pages here and there which explain, perhaps, the majority of them--even the obvious ones. Of course, lots of these pages are out of date. Oh, well... it is what it is (namely, Mozilla's attitude of, "Oh, you don't really need to know that do you?").
;) mozillaZine is not Mozilla; just as Godzilla is not God. Neither is Mozilla God... they just think they are (what's that about:mozilla?).
Hey, Mozilla... are you sure you wish to do this? (bug 1121291)
patrickjdempsey

This website actually maintains the most in-depth listings for about:config entries in it's Knowledge Base. The "official" Mozilla Knowledge Base was actually directly copy-and-pasted from the one here a few years ago, much to the dismay of the local contributors. If you see entries that need updating, they can be reported here: viewforum.php?f=11
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

mod_wastrel wrote:I love about:config... I really do. The "hidden preferences" contain a wealth of... everything except an explanation as to what each and every preference and its settings mean. Sure, there are external pages here and there which explain, perhaps, the majority of them--even the obvious ones. Of course, lots of these pages are out of date. Oh, well... it is what it is (namely, Mozilla's attitude of, "Oh, you don't really need to know that do you?").

See Config Descriptions add-on.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Or check out Configuration Mania.
gone