Firefox 24 and Google Toolbar not playing nice!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mlmmlm

Re: Firefox 24 and Google Toolbar not playing nice!

Post by mlmmlm »

i'd also like to thanks you two, spared me time to check every addons to find the culprit AND the time to look for another addon...

GL cannot mix other addons button with it's buttons (for example, tab mix plus button between up and highlight buttons, etc.) but is still a good compromise.
jfrog

Post by jfrog »

:-k if you want a google toolbar, use an updated version:
Googlebar Lite Image[/quote]

I'll give that a shot. I see it has a couple of the things I liked about the original GT.
niall8472

Post by niall8472 »

I still use the Google Toolbar too (version 7.1.20110512W). As far as I can tell the problem is to do with the preloading of the new tab page that's been turned on by default in Firefox 24. If you change the new tab page to be something else there doesn't seem to be a problem but anyway, setting browser.newtab.preload to false in about:config fixed it for me. I also set google.toolbar.newtab to false too but I've no idea if that's got anything to do with it.
jeane99

Post by jeane99 »

niall8472 wrote:I still use the Google Toolbar too (version 7.1.20110512W). As far as I can tell the problem is to do with the preloading of the new tab page that's been turned on by default in Firefox 24. If you change the new tab page to be something else there doesn't seem to be a problem but anyway, setting browser.newtab.preload to false in about:config fixed it for me. I also set google.toolbar.newtab to false too but I've no idea if that's got anything to do with it.

That's fixed it for me! Thank you so so so so much!

(I only changed the browser.newtab.preload setting.)
cbiwww

Post by cbiwww »

jfrog, I'm with you - love my google bookmarks! Hope to find a fix (Googlebar Lite doesn't include the bookmarks), but if not, perhaps I'll try Firefox Sync - has anyone else tried this? Thanks.
cbiwww

Post by cbiwww »

Sorry, disregard my last post - didn't see page 2! Thanks, niall8472 - the first change fixed it for me too. Although I'm getting a little tired of hacking firefox to keep my google bookmarks - so still curious if anyone has tried firefox sync?
jfrog

Post by jfrog »

niall8472 wrote:I still use the Google Toolbar too (version 7.1.20110512W). As far as I can tell the problem is to do with the preloading of the new tab page that's been turned on by default in Firefox 24. If you change the new tab page to be something else there doesn't seem to be a problem but anyway, setting browser.newtab.preload to false in about:config fixed it for me. I also set google.toolbar.newtab to false too but I've no idea if that's got anything to do with it.

That works! :) I only modified the browser.newtab.preload and didn't touch google.toolbar.newtab. Thanks a bunch!
rdmdog7

Post by rdmdog7 »

I like my google toolbar features too.

Unfortunately, googlebar lite isn't going to cut it for me. However, when you all say to go to about:config and then make the changes, I have no idea what or where you are going. Can someone please give me a bit of help with how to make these changes.? Thanks. :oops:
rdmdog7

Post by rdmdog7 »

Nvrmind. Emily Litella. Got the about:config and will follow through.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Any of you considered doing a forum SEARCH ? :idea: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
thenna

Post by thenna »

Thanks. that fixed the problem.
I still use GT, but in my google bookmarks - import firefox bookmarks is not working. anyone knew how to make it work ?
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

anyone knew how to make it work ?

Step 1: Uninstall Google Toolbar.
Step 2: Just use Firefox's bookmarks.
jfrog

Post by jfrog »

mightyglydd wrote:Any of you considered doing a forum SEARCH ? :idea: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Isn't the whole point of a forum to have conversations? Since version 24 was brand new, I new that a forum search would be futile.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Some of us are damn tired answering questions about an extension that was officially retired by the developer of that extension well over two years ago. The last I checked, well over a year ago, less than half of the features worked and that was after hacking that extension a half a dozen times as Google changed the web addresses for many of its' services to try to keep that extension alive. Google didn't just stop updating and supporting that extension, they decimated it with many unnecessary changes to their services. IMO, they did that trying to grab market share from Firefox for Google Chrome.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

:locked: This problem has been answered and needs to die !