Java 7 update 45 : blocked

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
colfer

Re: Java 7 update 45 : blocked

Post by colfer »

The real problem was the UI. Like many experienced users and developers, I did not notice the tiny 16x16 red icon in the URL bar, which is the only way to reliably override the block. So you've got enterprise people on the bug saying, like WTF, the whole Spanish or Danish gov't runs on Java, you think I can walk them all through this procedure? Obviously they'll just switch to another browser. Apparently Chrome's UI is saner.

The block is going to be reverted until they fix the UI, but no patch yet. The bug is now reopened, and locked to further advocacy comments.
colfer

Post by colfer »

Should also note, the new behavior was explicitly excluded from community testing. Mozilla decided to deploy the block a week or two after the Firefox version release, so there would be no confusion of the new version and the new block. That shows there is probably no easy way to deploy a block only to Nightly/Aurora/Beta users. And those users typically do not run outdated versions of plugins, so there was no loud complaint about the UI until everything went live.

All that said, I wouldn't complain if Mozilla disabled Java completely and advised users to switch to another browser. But the hacky, untested half-measures of Bug 914690 were a disaster.

Users should routinely use multiple browsers, IMHO.
charwing

Post by charwing »

I'm not willing to install this updated extension -- it's like adding a patch to a patch .. or re-opening a hole that Java U45 was meant to fix. Nor do I think it'll help. I've got the click to activate option BUT there is a web site I'm trying to use (e-learning) that apparently looks at what firefox has done to java -- and because it's being blocked .. treats it as non-existent. We (at my company) were told last week . with emails written in tones of great alarm .. that we absolutely MUST install this update and do so by a deadline .. OR ELSE.. so we did. If my IT security dept wanted me to install this update to FIX a security hole .. why should firefox treat it like the plague and block it? I don't understand this at all. Btw .. I can run my e-learning site in IE .. even tho it's NOT my desired browser btw .. but if that's what I have to run to do what I want.. I'll subject my feeble minded carcass to using IE.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Um, ok.
gone
charwing

Post by charwing »

OK . .maybe I should have also added a polite request to whoever is in charge (is anybody in charge?) ... to release an update to Firefox that removes the block on Java 7 U45 . Would that be better? Rather than my rant?
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Better, but useless, as next to nobody from Mozilla is reading this forum, as it's not related to Mozilla. http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

You'd have to consult their official channels like their mailing-lists or http://support.mozilla.org or http://input.mozilla.org
gone
colfer

Post by colfer »

Firefox will continue to block old versions of Java. The block for the latest version of Java is temporarily suspended until they fix the UI. If you have a problem, click the little icon in the URL bar.

From the bug: "The blocks have been reverted. It'll take roughly a day or two for most systems to update their blocklists and have Java working again."

From the bug: "We certainly will be making java Click-to-play by default when the UI is fixed (along with all other plugins). Whether or not we want to use the scarier UI is still an open question."
charwing

Post by charwing »

thanks elbart . and here I thought i was using the current mozilla firefox forum .. and to colfer.. nobody is complainning about blocking old versions of Java . what's being blocked is the LATEST Java release.
charwing

Post by charwing »

Sorry - @Colfer -- ok .. found the little icon .. and all is well again.. thanks!
James

Post by James »

charwing wrote:thanks elbart . and here I thought i was using the current mozilla firefox forum

Mozilla has a had their own Firefox support forum at support.mozilla.org/questions since 2007/2008.

charwing wrote:what's being blocked is the LATEST Java release.

Which is still vulnerable. The block for 45 has been removed now.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

James wrote:The block for 45 has been removed now.

Yep, removed from 7 U45, just updated to 25b11, still a block on Java Deployment Toolkit but that's been the case for ages.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Modaquitaine

Post by Modaquitaine »

malliz wrote:Great idea Scarlett open everyone up to the black hole of disaster Java has become

Do not exaggerate! Your comments are totally excessive !
Moreover, Mozilla FF no longer blocks the Java plugin, after legitimate protests of many users
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Grow up.... your over the top hysteria is painful and unwarranted and I have no doubt when Mozilla get the mechanics right Java will be blocked again.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=914690#c83

And scarlett has a long long history of recommending old and insecure versions of things seemingly blissfully unaware of the dangers to other people
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Modaquitaine

Post by Modaquitaine »

Hysteria ? : Java JRE is unsafe but Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Firefox also : does it block any !
Just turn off the computer: no risk!
We must therefore accept to live "dangerously"...
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Here is a wild thought..uninstall Java and then get on with your life
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"