firefox isn't automatically logging in to sites anymore..

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Lanky0

firefox isn't automatically logging in to sites anymore..

Post by Lanky0 »

Firefox remembers usernames and passwords but doesn't automatically log me into websites which is very frustrating.. although it used to do it fine!

I deleted the cookies.sqlite file and but it made no change...

I also just tried a fresh install of firefox and it still isn't working...

How can i get firefox to automatically log me into websites (facebook, linkedin etc) and forums??

Help is very much appreciated!!!!
wd50

Re: firefox isn't automatically logging in to sites anymore.

Post by wd50 »

to automatically log me into websites (facebook, linkedin etc) and forums??

https://lastpass.com/
Oracle68

Post by Oracle68 »

Ok, so why is Firefox no longer doing the logging in and WHY do I need a 3rd party to do it?
The Dawg
Be The Man You Dog Thinks You Are!!
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Are you allowing the site to set cookies? Logging in does not work if you block cookies.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

And the active logins you had were removed when cookies were deleted...
Are there logins remaining in Tools > Options > Security > Saved Passwords ?
Last edited by JayhawksRock on February 27th, 2014, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I think there are two ways of doing it. If I'm not mistaken, sometimes the Web site does it for you, and sometimes Firefox does it for you. I believe the second method requires the site to mark the field as a password that a Web browser is allowed to remember. Sometimes sites mark password fields as not to be stored, for extra security. That means you will not be logging in automatically.

There are certain extensions that store the passwords anyway. I am guessing that they are simply ignoring the Web requirements. All this is a little speculative, but I think that's basically how it works.
Oracle68

Post by Oracle68 »

Yes, I am allowing cookies. I have deleted the cache, I have cleared the history, I have emptied the trash. I have removed all of the book marks. I have removed ALL of the passwords stored within Firefox more times than I can count. I have un-installed and reinstalled the program. I have no add-ons or extensions installed. My antivirus is not blocking anything, as far as I know.

I have tried to do everything I can as directed by the 3 or 4 posts in the forum on this subject. I have gotten some to work recently but not all and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what does get loaded and what does not.

The only thing I have not done is change profiles, as I cannot get the Firefox Profile Manager to come up.
The Dawg
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

You cannot run the Profile Manager when Firefox is running.
Oracle68

Post by Oracle68 »

VanillaMozilla wrote:I think there are two ways of doing it. If I'm not mistaken, sometimes the Web site does it for you, and sometimes Firefox does it for you. I believe the second method requires the site to mark the field as a password that a Web browser is allowed to remember. Sometimes sites mark password fields as not to be stored, for extra security. That means you will not be logging in automatically.

There are certain extensions that store the passwords anyway. I am guessing that they are simply ignoring the Web requirements. All this is a little speculative, but I think that's basically how it works.

I do not have this problem with IE and Chrome. Having said that, does this change your answer?

I am not trying to be rude.
The Dawg
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

No it does not change my answer. I cannot say whether Chrome and IE are working correctly, or how or why they might be working, and I cannot be certain that the Web site is serving them exactly the same page as Firefox. It's a little difficult for someone to diagnose this for you, as we cannot see your computer or determine what site you are looking at.

Furthermore, I cannot rule out security software on your computer. (Because all browsers are different, security software treats each browser differently.)

I think there are (at least) two requirements for auto logging in: (1) the fields have to be marked as user name and password, and (2) they must not be marked as "do not store". Web sites can and do change.

Having said that, though, I cannot rule out some setting or extension in your Firefox setup. A new profile will reset (almost) everything.
Oracle68

Post by Oracle68 »

VanillaMozilla wrote:You cannot run the Profile Manager when Firefox is running.

Ok, now I have created a new profile and tried to log in to this forum. I inputted my username and password and got a verification thing telling me I had exceeded my login attempts and when I typed the image, it just changed the image and wouldn't log me in. I had to come back to the previous profile before it would allow me back into the forum.

I am really getting frustrated over this.
The Dawg
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

This forum has problems. Fortunately, the problem you just experienced happens only occasionally. It's a forum problem, not a Firefox problem.

There's more information on logging in here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/User_name_and ... remembered
and here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pa ... -passwords
Oracle68

Post by Oracle68 »

VanillaMozilla wrote:No it does not change my answer. I cannot say whether Chrome and IE are working correctly, or how or why they might be working, and I cannot be certain that the Web site is serving them exactly the same page as Firefox. It's a little difficult for someone to diagnose this for you, as we cannot see your computer or determine what site you are looking at.

Furthermore, I cannot rule out security software on your computer. (Because all browsers are different, security software treats each browser differently.)

I think there are (at least) two requirements for auto logging in: (1) the fields have to be marked as user name and password, and (2) they must not be marked as "do not store". Web sites can and do change.

Having said that, though, I cannot rule out some setting or extension in your Firefox setup. A new profile will reset (almost) everything.

I am looking at this forum. Firefox will not log me back into this forum even though I have checked the box allowing Firefox to remember and log me automatically. When I was able to get in, the first two times, using the newly created profile, it did not log in automatically. The first time was expected as there were no passwords in that profile. I had it remember the password and when I closed Firefox down and came back to this site, it made me log back in manually again. When I attempted to verify the action, this forum said I had exceeded my login attempts and asked me to type a verification thing. Then it barfed all over the place and would not accept the verification. 7 different verifications. It just kept resetting the verification image. I changed back to my original profile and got the verification and it let me in on one try.

I am not an expert at this but neither am I a newbie. I understand that you cannot verify my settings, but this is really annoying. I left IE because of it may website issues, I nave been using thunderbird for a very long time. I just want to know why it wont do this and whether or not its Firefoxes fault or mine.
The Dawg
Oracle68

Post by Oracle68 »

VanillaMozilla wrote:This forum has problems. Fortunately, the problem you just experienced happens only occasionally. It's a forum problem, not a Firefox problem.

There's more information on logging in here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/User_name_and ... remembered
and here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pa ... -passwords

That is good to know that I am not crazy about the logging into this forum issue. LOL I will keep that in mind.

Neither of the two items you listed appear to be addressing the issue I appear to be having. I should have stated that the user id's and passwords are entered into the appropriate fields at the various websites, it just doesn't log in for you. I have to manually click on the log in button.
The Dawg
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Oracle68 wrote:I should have stated that the user id's and passwords are entered into the appropriate fields at the various websites, it just doesn't log in for you. I have to manually click on the log in button.

Ah, why didn't you say so? Perfectly normal. That's what Firefox does. Just press the button.

Anything else, I believe, would be up to the Web site. There may be a check box that says "Keep me logged in", or something like that. Or perhaps you have some login extension that presses the button for you. Can't help you more than that. Not actually a Firefox problem, as far as I can tell. Possibly an extension problem, but not a Firefox problem.