How to switch back to old download manager

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mightyglydd

Re: How to switch back to old download manager

Post by mightyglydd »

AnotherLife wrote:What the hell, I can't even find a screenshot of the program on its official page
Judging from your posting history you couldn't find your **** with a flashlight..
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Here is what FDM looks like.

It's a great free app., with heaps of options.
I suggest you add a few more file types to scan with your AV program as well.

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

AnotherLife wrote:What the hell, I can't even find a screenshot of the program on its official page ?!?

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/screenshots.htm

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... wnthemall/
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Ta L.A.R. G...
I knew I'd seen them................ somewhere. ;)
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Denise51 wrote:ok Fair comment Vanilla, was there any reason to omit the download speed, as I didnt see that as the box was small.

IIRC they didn't want the text to be cut off at the end of the panel, so they got rid of the speed-text.
There's a bugticket with a patch to put it back in, but there hasn't been progress in a year, so don't count on it to ever land.
gone
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Denise51 wrote:ok Fair comment Vanilla, was there any reason to omit the download speed, as I didnt see that as the box was small.

You are clicking the 'Show All Downloads' link, aren't you? Although it's not made very clear, that stuff on the toolbar is only for a quick indication of active downloads.

For a proper look, you click that link (or press Ctrl + J) and it opens up the Download view in the 'Library'. There you will find much more information and if you right click an active download you can Pause or Resume it.

I think the old one was slightly better, but there's not much difference really.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Or just click on the arrow. You know, it does show you the download size, how much remains, and how much time remains. If you really, really need the speed, you can calculate it from that.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Or just click on the arrow. You know, it does show you the download size, how much remains, and how much time remains. If you really, really need the speed, you can calculate it from that.

I might be wrong here, but I'm getting the impression from reading various threads that many people who don't follow Firefox closely think that Download toolbar button is it. As in, the old Download Manager has gone and been replaced by just that. It isn't.

Firefox now has a 3 part Download Manager -

#1. The Download toolbar button - gives you a quick indication at the download progress of active downloads.
#2. The 'popup' notification that appears when you click the button - shows more details of the last 3 downloads,
#3. 'Show All Downloads' at the bottom of the popup - shows the Download Library and gives a lot of details on all your downloads, especially the active ones. Right clicking on these gives you more choices. Go straight there at any time by just pressing Ctrl + J.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

I just wish the Library (CTRL-J) would remember the transfer rate and time taken. If it does, I sure as heck don't see it. Most active downloads are finished by the time I tell it where to save the file. I suppose if I really must know the transfer rate I can load up Task Manager and look at the Network tab to see the bytes sent/received per interval before I start the download. I do this a lot when I'm streaming down videos.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

MarkRH wrote:Most active downloads are finished by the time I tell it where to save the file.

Then the answer is "fast enough", isn't it?
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

VanillaMozilla wrote:
MarkRH wrote:Most active downloads are finished by the time I tell it where to save the file.

Then the answer is "fast enough", isn't it?

True, but, I see no reason not to add these two bits of information to the standard download history database regardless of how slow or fast it might be. Anyway, saying it here won't do anything. I'll go to the Mozilla forum with my suggestion.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

MarkRH wrote:True, but, I see no reason not to add these two bits of information to the standard download history database regardless of how slow or fast it might be. Anyway, saying it here won't do anything. I'll go to the Mozilla forum with my suggestion.

An Official Mozilla forum ? Please point me to the link so we can refer all the whiners about the changes to the DM there.
James

Post by James »

For Firefox support that would be https://support.mozilla.org/questions/ and there is the newsgroup forums http://www.mozilla.org/about/forums/
TigerClaw

Post by TigerClaw »

Just saw this thread now, I also would like the old Download window back, and Im not going back a version.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Given the number of Download manager threads we have I want to get the information in one place. I created a sticky about it, Locking, Please continue here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2782751
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."