Download manager in Firefox 26-- Please post here.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Frank Lion

Re: Download manager in Firefox 26-- Please post here.

Post by Frank Lion »

JoeG wrote:I've got the (wonderful) Status-4-Evar extension, but it doesn't appear to offer any option to open the "whatever" automatically either.

Yes it does, Joe, it's in the Options under Download and you want the 'Library' option....because that's what pressing Ctrl + J opens.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

TMNB-
Please continue here. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2783009 Sorry about the lock, my mistake.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Daikun wrote:Is there a way to have the window open automatically so I don't have to hit Ctrl+J every time I start downloading something?

Yep, just click the Download button and then click the 'Show All Downloads' on the Download Panel.

Hardly ideal, but that's the only way without using an extension. Obviously, many people (i.e. me) would like the (Ctrl + J) Download Library/Manager to open automatically on download start.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Frank Lion wrote:
JoeG wrote:I've got the (wonderful) Status-4-Evar extension, but it doesn't appear to offer any option to open the "whatever" automatically either.
Yes it does, Joe, it's in the Options under Download and you want the 'Library' option....because that's what pressing Ctrl + J opens.
Thanks very much for your reply Frank, but I guess that, yet again, I'm doing something wrong. :(

Here are my settings.
When I click "Save file", the download process works correctly. However, I don't see a status panel, bar, the Library window, or anything that indicates a download is taking place. Maybe I have something set wrong in about:config? Or could it be my theme?

I'll appreciate any tips you might be able to give me.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

JoeG wrote:When I click "Save file", the download process works correctly. However, I don't see a status panel, bar, the Library window, or anything that indicates a download is taking place. Maybe I have something set wrong in about:config? Or could it be my theme?

I'm on 17esr again atm, so I'll do this from memory - your settings look right. Having set it up like that, you should now (if you want) hide the default Download button back in Customise and forget about it. You will see the S4Evar Download button on its statusbar/addons bar instead. It will show the downloading text or, at the very least, the button will show a download progress line, when downloads are in progress.

If and when you click that button (because of how you have your Options set there) it will immediately open up the full Download Library, which gives a much better view of what's going on, download-wise.

Now, if you're not seeing that, then -

#1. Disable your theme and restart.

#2. If that doesn't do it, then into about:config and look for bolded (non-default ones) entries under a search for the term 'download'. Ignore any related to Stat 4 Evar and reset back to default any others, by right clicking the entry and choosing Reset.

Here is my setup (pic is a few weeks old, when I was working on this) and shows the S4Evar Download button (cross shaped button right at the very bottom on the far right -

http://franklion.co.uk/GEN-LINKS/Hmm094.png
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Frank Lion wrote:
JoeG wrote:When I click "Save file", the download process works correctly. However, I don't see a status panel, bar, the Library window, or anything that indicates a download is taking place. Maybe I have something set wrong in about:config? Or could it be my theme?

I'm on 17esr again atm, so I'll do this from memory ...
Thanks VERY much Frank. It's 1am, and I'm off to bed. :roll: I plan to try it tomorrow.

G'night.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

This - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... l-tweaker/ ...is brilliant.

Don't even ask, just install it. It makes a world of difference to the Downloads Panel and the information it gives -

(see what I mean about the tooltip only doing a 'snapshot, that I mentioned earlier'? The download speed changed a second later and so the actual time changed as well)

Btw I reckon the download details are too pale for such important info (even though the default theme has it like that) Fix that one with -

Code: Select all

.downloadDetails {
opacity: 1.0 !important;}

..in your userChrome.ss or Stylish, etc
Negativeions

Post by Negativeions »

I don't know how to delete a post...
Last edited by Negativeions on December 14th, 2013, 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Negativeions

Post by Negativeions »

Frank Lion wrote:This - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... l-tweaker/ ...is brilliant.

Don't even ask, just install it. It makes a world of difference to the Downloads Panel and the information it gives -

Yes, fina-ly. Thanks, man. Is there a way to change the color of the info? I don't mind the opacity as it distinguishes it from the download better, but maybe for clarity it can be another color?
Last edited by LIMPET235 on December 14th, 2013, 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed the un-necessary profanities.
Negativeions

Post by Negativeions »

LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

hINDUs-

I split your post off to locked. Your claims of the evilness of the sxtension have already been disproved. You should have read the entire thread.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Bob_in_Calgary-

This is a support thead. I moved your post to here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2783243
Post wrangler
Night Wing

Post by Night Wing »

Frank Lion wrote:This - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... l-tweaker/ ...is brilliant.

Don't even ask, just install it. It makes a world of difference to the Downloads Panel and the information it gives

Thank you for the link. I use Firefox as my default browser in Linux Mint and I was still on version 25.0.1 so I installed the add-on and tried it out on a download. It works. With that said, I then brought up the Synaptic Package Manager and marked Firefox for upgrade to 26.0 version.

Again, thanks.
hINDUs

Post by hINDUs »

hi!

so after download statusbar has stopped working i have been looking for a fix / another extension of similar functionality
i have found https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... tatus-bar/ which looks very promising
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

hINDUs, Don't post just to post, please.
& the extension's link has already been posted.
No need to duplicate it.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)