Download manager in Firefox 26-- Please post here.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
James

Re: Download manager in Firefox 26-- Please post here.

Post by James »

Springtime wrote:Image

This is the popup I was referring to. Is there any way for this specific feature to be enabled in v26+?

That feature is still in Firefox 26.0 and current 27.0. The new download manager of now has been the default in Firefox ever since Firefox 20.0
Springtime

Post by Springtime »

James wrote:That feature is still in Firefox 26.0 and current 27.0. The new download manager of now has been the default in Firefox ever since Firefox 20.0

Wait, what? The previous poster had just said it has been removed entirely from the code. Could you explain how to re-enable the popup download box if it does still exist, as I didn't see it when I installed 26.
Epidomis

Post by Epidomis »

Springtime wrote:
James wrote:That feature is still in Firefox 26.0 and current 27.0. The new download manager of now has been the default in Firefox ever since Firefox 20.0

Wait, what? The previous poster had just said it has been removed entirely from the code. Could you explain how to re-enable the popup download box if it does still exist, as I didn't see it when I installed 26.

Edit: Stopped working in 25 not 26? I been using ESR so I forgotten

Here read it from the horse's mouth. From 20 to 25, you could use the toolkit about preference to enable the old download manager, but the default was still the new download manager. After 26 you couldn't, b/c Mozilla removed the old manager for good. You can read in the bug report why and so on.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=926146#c4
Springtime

Post by Springtime »

Well, had the misfortune of having v28 auto-installed (must have reset the settings while trying to fix other issues). Download popup was nowhere to be found.

Upon some further reading it appears as though the devs just couldn't be bothered writing new code for the download popup, as the pre-26 code is incompatible with the latest changes to one of their libraries. Apparently they're open to anyone else re-writing it, and I'd so be behind such an effort =D>

The auto-update of my ESR install also brings up another point - why did it auto-update? I thought the ESR version was meant to only provide incremental security and stability fixes :? .
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

ESR doesn't update to 28.
gone
Epidomis

Post by Epidomis »

@springtime, in case you are confused about of what ESR means?

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

Current Firefox ESR is based on 24, with security patches 24.3. IF you are on 28 then you are on the beta channel.

As for rewriting code, there is a reason why people use and write extensions.

Anybody can technically change the code b/c Firefox is open source, however it wouldn't be firefox anymore it would be a fork. You would have to change the code for every release then change the code and recompile it yourself. Basically a whole lot of work.
James

Post by James »

Actually it is 24.3.0. The second number updates by one in line with Firefox releases and the third number increases by one for chemspill updates if any.

Springtime wrote:Well, had the misfortune of having v28 auto-installed (must have reset the settings while trying to fix other issues). Download popup was nowhere to be found.

Upon some further reading it appears as though the devs just couldn't be bothered writing new code for the download popup, as the pre-26 code is incompatible with the latest changes to one of their libraries. Apparently they're open to anyone else re-writing it, and I'd so be behind such an effort =D>

The auto-update of my ESR install also brings up another point - why did it auto-update? I thought the ESR version was meant to only provide incremental security and stability fixes :? .

You were likely using a Beta build of a version and was updated to the current beta build which is Firefox 28.0b3 on Beta channel. There is usually six to twelve betas for each version.

The old download manager backend code has been removed as of Firefox 26.0 and on. The new download manager has been in Firefox by default ever since Firefox 20.0

Extensions that were compatible with the old download manager were not actually compatible in Firefox 20.0 to 25.0 unless the user used the temporary toolkit preference to override for old manager.

As per the image I quoted above, there should be a down arrow on a toolbar (new manager) and if not then it may be on a hidden toolbar or sitting in Customize window.
Springtime

Post by Springtime »

Downloaded the portable version of Firefox 28 and tested it's download button, and lo and behold the popup still exists. I then upgraded my beta stream and found it was All-in-One Sidebar that was disabling the feature, even though I had unselected 'Show downloads in sidebar'.

So the popup does still exist in the latest versions, thankfully.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The downloads button has re-purposed to load a small box that shows the most recent downloads. It links to the Library. The original downloads popup is gone.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
pag77

Post by pag77 »