Various things (help a noob out?)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Neurosi

Various things (help a noob out?)

Post by Neurosi »

I've only been messing around with css or really anything concerning coding for the last week or so, so I have no idea what I'm doing. I've been looking through different themes and looking online to see what I could do on my own.

I got my orange button removed, took out tab icons and changed tab text size and a few other things, but I'm having a lot of trouble with some other things. I want to change my active tab color to a flat black, which whenever I try, only changes the text color of the active tab. Is there a way to remove the 1px border on inactive tabs? I'd also like to change the size of my url bar and take out the icon in it, though I haven't tried taking out the icon, yet. I only have the navigation bar on and I want to change the color of that, instead of it being a gradient, but I haven't been able to get a working code. When I try to change my tab sizing, I can get it down to I'm guessing the default size, which is with the icons, but I can't go any smaller. I'd like to do 12px, is that possible? There's also this tiny little indention to the very, very left of the first tab, yet I can't find anything on that. When I changed the length of my tabs, something stopped happening: when I have multiple tabs open, and close one of them, the tabs to the right of that tab do not readjust like they usually would. They just stay pinned. I think the code line says to not have tabs pinned, but I'll try messing with that in a bit again. Also, when I open a new tab, it's way the hell wherever it wants to be instead of the being at the most immediately available space to the right of my last tab. I'd also like to have my tabs at the bottom, instead of the top, though the code I have doesn't work.

Sorry if I'm not coherent enough, I'm kinda annoyed with having very little success in the last couple hours. (if you need a picture of what things look like right now, I can do that.)

Code: Select all

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
/* set default namespace to XUL */

.tabbrowser-tabs *|tab {
font-size: 10px !important;
height: 12px !important;
}

/* Tabs: no icons */
   .tabbrowser-tabs .tab-icon-image {
   display: none !important;
   }

/* HIDE ORANGE MENU BUTTON */
    #appmenu-toolbar-button, #appmenu-button-container { display: none }

.tabbrowser-tab:not([pinned]) {
max-width: 150px !important;
min-width: 25px !important;
}

/* Tab bar: hide new tab button */
.tabs-newtab-button
{
}

/* Show Tabs at Bottom */
#content > tabbox {
   -moz-box-direction: reverse !important; }
patrickjdempsey

Re: Various things (help a noob out?)

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Are you actually building a Theme or is this a userStyle? Also, be aware that in a few versions a new interface will land called Australis that will require different code for both Themes and userStyles.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Neurosi

Post by Neurosi »

It's userChrome. I don't have Australis, either.
Neurosi

Post by Neurosi »

I got some new things done, yet I ran into a couple more things. Most notably, when I changed my OS theme, the right corner made itself visible. (pic included) I had black for both my OS theme and browser, so I couldn't tell at first, but I don't know what those little button area would be called. I thought by taking off the close button on tabs that the tabs would then be able to go smaller than their default size, but they still don't go smaller, yet they'll go bigger. Then the tabs not readjusting or whatever the right word is called. I looked into different ways to change the tabs, but the on-bottom-of-browser ones didn't work, and I didn't really feel like seeing if I could make them vertical, just tried to change some of coding I found to go for bottom. Nothing. (I don't want bottom of url through about:config.)

I'd like to get rid of the 1px border on the tabs, but I don't think it's actually a border but something else since every border removing code I found did nothing. I'll edit this post with some of the coding I found last night that didn't work for bottom tab browsing.

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
/* set default namespace to XUL */

.tabbrowser-tabs *|tab {
font-size: 10px !important;
height: 10px !important;
}

/* Tabs: no icons */
   .tabbrowser-tabs .tab-icon-image {
   }

/* HIDE ORANGE MENU BUTTON */
    #appmenu-toolbar-button, #appmenu-button-container { display: none }

.tabbrowser-tab:not([pinned]) {
max-width: 125px !important;
min-width: 75px !important;
}

/* Tab bar: hide new tab button */
.tabs-newtab-button
{
}

#tabbrowser-tabs { background: #000000; border: 0 !important; margin-left: -5px !important; }
    #navigator-toolbox { background: #000000; border: 0 !important; margin-bottom: -1px !important; }

#nav-bar { background: #000000 !important; }
   #urlbar { color: #ffffff !important; font-size: 10px !important; background: #0d0d0d !important; }
    textbox#urlbar { background: 0d0d0d !important; -moz-appearance: none !important; border: 1px !important; }

#identity-box { display: none !important; }

tab{ -moz-appearance: none !important; } tab[selected="true"] {
background: #ffffff !important;
color: #000000 !important; }

.tabbrowser-tab:not([selected="true"]) {
-moz-appearance: none !important;
background: #000000 !important;
color: #ffffff !important; }

.tab-close-button {
}

.tab-throbber {
display:none !important;
}

For the bottom tab coding:

#content > tabbox {
    -moz-box-orient: horizontal;
}

.tabbrowser-strip {
    -moz-box-orient: vertical;
    /*
     * You can set this to -moz-scrollbars-vertical instead,
     * but then the scrollbar will *always* be visible.  this way
     * there is never a scrollbar, so it behaves like the tab bar
     * normally does
     */
     overflow: -moz-scrollbars-none;
}

.tabbrowser-tabs {
    min-width: 20ex;   /* You may want to increase this value */
    -mox-box-pack: start;
    -moz-box-align: start;
}

.tabbrowser-tabs > hbox {
    -moz-box-orient: vertical;
    -moz-box-align: stretch;
    -moz-box-pack: start;
}

.tabbrowser-tabs > hbox > tab {
    -moz-box-align: start;
}

I tried taking things from here and changing orient to direction and a couple of other things, but I get nothing.
Last edited by Neurosi on January 6th, 2014, 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Please do not post images wider than 600px as this will break the forum and make it annoying for users with old screens. Also I should probably have this moved as it's not relevant to Theming.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support where more folks knowledgeable on the subject may see it to offer assistance.
Neurosi

Post by Neurosi »

Okay, I fixed the image and made it into two smaller images. Thanks for moving this where it belongs, hopefully I can get some help.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

There's a risk that when the next version comes out, some of your work could be undone. In particular, the appearance and placement of tabs is undergoing extensive revision right now. Refusing to update is not, or should not be, an option, and we don't really like to hear whining about how an update broke everything. Have fun with it, but you should know that sometimes it's more reliable to keep it closer to the default configuration.
Neurosi

Post by Neurosi »

Uhmm.... Okay?
Neurosi

Post by Neurosi »

I found this:

#TabsToolbar { background-color:transparent !important; background-image: none !important; position: fixed !important; bottom: -6px !important; width:100% !important }

which put the tabs at the bottom for me. The blue problem is gone, but the tabs not readjusting and the, what I believe to be, placeholder problem are still there. I tried doing a margin code for the tabs, but that made the tab scroll bar come up.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

You know, much of that stuff you are trying to do is easily done with the built-in customization options.

browser.tabs.onTop false
Menu button: see View menu
UI text size: best done with operating system settings
New tab button: just use the customization context menu and drag it off
Neurosi

Post by Neurosi »

The .onTop only puts the tabbar under the navigation bar, which is what I don't want. I want right above my OS taskbar which is at the bottom of my screen. I have it now, and I like it. The menu button thing, I can't find what you're talking about. Is it in the menu bar or about:config? About the text, I just simply like smaller text for things I rarely look at. Thanks.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Neurosi wrote:The menu button thing, I can't find what you're talking about. Is it in the menu bar or about:config?

No, of course you can't, because Mozilla in their wisdom has abandoned consistency in their menus. Keystrokes: <alt>v t. See if there's anything there that strikes your fancy.

You can definitely get rid of the New Tab button just by dragging, though.
Neurosi

Post by Neurosi »

I know how to access the menu bar and select things from there. Are you talking about the orange button? That's the only thing I can see in my list that has "menu" in it. I've already dragged the new tab button off after reading your post. Again, thanks.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Neurosi wrote:Are you talking about the orange button?

Yes.