How to put tabs on bottom in FF 29.0?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
nisakiman

Re: How to put tabs on bottom in FF 29.0?

Post by nisakiman »

Ah, better and better! I was using version 2.2.1, but just downloaded 2.2.2 and lo and behold! My old configuration browser screen again (almost) with my favourite theme! Once again, a heartfelt thank you for your help.
rich987

Post by rich987 »

Thank you so much! I can use Firefox again!!!!
darkmessiah

Post by darkmessiah »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned about:config. There is a browser.tabs.onTop variable that can be changed to FALSE - though I will mention that with the push of 29.0.1 that was forced on me this morning this change to false now does absolutely nothing.

This is what it should look like if you don't know what I'm talking about.
http://i.imgur.com/oPF3rqS.png
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

The code for that has been removed
This theme will return the tabs on bottom look with a few other bonuses
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -tiger-sp/
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Plus....The Support Forum "Sticky" has a few helpful links, including one to restore the tabs to the bottom.
> viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2824649
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
eluniya

Post by eluniya »

Gingerbread Man wrote:
nisakiman wrote:But there has appeared a blank bar above the tabs, and the top of the web page almost completely obscures the tabs - I can see barely a sliver of the tab above the page.

First, try resetting the toolbar setup: right-click an empty area of the tab bar and choose Customize, then click the Restore Defaults button.

If that doesn't solve the problem, it may be a theme issue. Open the Add-ons Manager, Appearance category. Next to the default theme, click the Enable button and restart Firefox.

If there's no improvement, here are directions for the user style you're interested in:
  1. Launch a text editor like Notepad and paste the following in it:

Code: Select all

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

#TabsToolbar { -moz-box-ordinal-group: 10000 !important }
  2. Save the file as "userChrome.css" to the desktop. Be sure to include the quotation marks, and note that the filename is case-sensitive: that's a lowercase u at the beginning and a capital C.
  3. In Firefox, type about:support into the address bar and press Enter. On the page that opens, click the Show Folder button.
  4. In the Windows Explorer window that opened, right-click an empty area and choose New, then Folder. Name the folder chrome — note it's all lowercase.
  5. Open the chrome folder and move the userChrome.css file into it.
  6. Restart Firefox for the changes to take effect.

this doesn't work for me, and i've done exactly as you instructed in this post. please help. i'm braindead when it comes to stuff liek this but atleast i know i followed your instructions very carefully
Derek Shaw

Post by Derek Shaw »

this doesn't work for me, and i've done exactly as you instructed in this post. please help. i'm braindead when it comes to stuff liek this but atleast i know i followed your instructions very carefully

I assume that the "Tabs on Bottom" add-on did not work for, have you tried it?

It is now

Tabs on Bottom (Australis) 0.4

This however also turns off the the Window title bar and if you have the Menu Bar displayed puts that in place of the Window title bar, but the Window Title Bar can be recovered by using Customise and Clicking on the Title Bar icon at the bottom left of this screen.

Derek Shaw
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

eluniya wrote:
Gingerbread Man wrote:[…] "userChrome.css" […]

this doesn't work for me, and i've done exactly as you instructed in this post. please help.

You can get tabs on bottom with any of the following add-ons:
Sorry, I'm not going to troubleshoot issues with userChrome.css / userContent.css. There are just too many things that can go wrong; troubleshooting them isn't worth the time and effort for either one of us. Those files are for expert users and those who adamantly refuse to install "yet another add-on".
hcgoddard

Post by hcgoddard »

Just a quick report on my frustration with version 29. I finally dropped back to 28, but not without several problems. Running W 7 64 bit.

None of the add-ons to put the tab on the bottom worked. Dropped back to 28, but then the next day version 30 automatically upgraded. Tried again to drop back to 28, but this time it did not work and put me in an endless reboot saying that the previous install was not completed. Had to delete program and reinstall.

It would help if the FF developers would consult first before moving things around, or at least give us full discretion in the program to set things the way the best work for us.

I keep lots of tabs open when working as I consult several documents when working, and the visual strain is much less in focusing on tabs at the bottom than at the top.
SnoutSpout

Post by SnoutSpout »

hcgoddard, Using MozBackup liberally is always a good idea before upgrades. Keep tracking of Firefox version changes with
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases#Upcoming_Releases
Gingerbread Man

hcgoddard wrote:I finally dropped back to 28

You're exposing your system to security vulnerabilities by sticking with an old version.
https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html
hcgoddard wrote:None of the add-ons to put the tab on the bottom worked. Dropped back to 28, but then the next day version 30 automatically upgraded. Tried again to drop back to 28, but this time it did not work and put me in an endless reboot saying that the previous install was not completed. Had to delete program and reinstall.

You run the risk of corrupting your profile when going back and forth between versions like that. Chances are you already have. Try the following test.
  1. Get Firefox Portable. It won't affect your local Firefox profile.
  2. Install any of the aforementioned tabs-on-bottom add-ons in Firefox Portable. Only install one. If for some reason it doesn't work — I'd be very surprised — remove it, restart Firefox and try the next one.
  3. If you've seen that the add-ons do work, then reset your local Firefox installation.
    https://support.mozilla.org/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems
hcgoddard

Post by hcgoddard »

"You're exposing your system to security vulnerabilities by sticking with an old version."

Understood. The problem is that the FF developers forget that the reason we users like FF is that it is, or has been until now, very customizable and allows us to chose the screen environment that works best for us. Not like IE.

So this last upgrade is a big faux pas, and when the lack of choice in this version is fixed, I will return to an upgraded version.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Search for Firefox ESR. This is a version of 24 which is updated with the current security fixes. It will remain at version 24 until October.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
fireshadow

Post by fireshadow »

Thanks for the information about changing userChrome.css ... it moved the tabs immediately below the URL just like I wanted. Now I just need to be able to move the back/forward/stop/reload buttons and I will be happy.
Gingerbread Man

fireshadow wrote:Thanks for the information about changing userChrome.css ... it moved the tabs immediately below the URL just like I wanted. Now I just need to be able to move the back/forward/stop/reload buttons and I will be happy.

That can't be done without an extension. Be sure to get rid of the userChrome.css style before installing Classic Theme Restorer.