Way to move forward and back buttons in FF 29?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
aeronca1

Way to move forward and back buttons in FF 29?

Post by aeronca1 »

Is there a way to move the forward and back buttons in Firefox 29? I am used to them being at the leftmost part of the toolbar. Having them where they are is driving me crazy, lolol.
DanRaisch

Re: Way to move forward and back buttons in FF 29?

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.

See the stickies at the top of the Firefox Support forum, specifically the reference to the Classic Theme Restorer extension in the first.
annoyedwith29

Post by annoyedwith29 »

Coincidentally, over in the Features forum I just posted a suggestion for improving the keyboard shortcuts for forward and back. Supposedly 29 was based on some lessons learned from a heatmap study that measured “how frequently our users interact with various elements in the Firefox desktop interface”. The “back” was the most used feature and yet they did nothing to make “back” easier to use. They were too busy making it look pretty. They don't got yo back! (sorry)
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

aeronca1 wrote:Is there a way to move the forward and back buttons in Firefox 29? I am used to them being at the leftmost part of the toolbar.

The leftmost part of the navigation toolbar is where they still are, unless you placed add-on icons there or you have Firefox in a right-to-left language. Anyway, if you want to move the buttons wherever,
  1. Install Classic Theme Restorer.
  2. Open the Add-ons Manager (Ctrl+Shift+A; Mac: Command+Shift+A), Extensions category.
  3. Next to Classic Theme Restorer, click the Options button.
  4. On the right, check "Movable back-forward button", then close the options window.
  5. Right-click an empty area of the tab bar and choose Customize.
  6. Drag the "Back Forward" icon out of the palette and place it next to the address bar.
  7. Click the Exit Customize button in the lower right when done.
annoyedwith29 wrote:Coincidentally, over in the Features forum I just posted a suggestion for improving the keyboard shortcuts for forward and back.

No developer will ever read that. If you want to submit feature ideas, either open the Help menu and choose Submit Feedback, or file a bug report if a relevant one doesn't already exist.
https://input.mozilla.org
https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Mozilla/QA/Bug_writing_guidelines
aeronca1

Post by aeronca1 »

Thanks, will give it a try. VERY ANNOYING however. There was NO need to "anchor" ANY buttons!! The way I had 28 set up was perfect for me. That exact setup is now impossible with 29. Even the developer of my favourite extension threw in the towel and is no longer going to update the extension.........

EDIT: Thank you! I now have FF29 as close to my 28 setup as possible. Still, annoying as it cost a lot of time...