MozillaZine

Update to 29.0.1 a UI disaster

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pdrummond

Post Posted May 9th, 2014, 3:04 pm

After updating to 29.0.1 I could barely use Firefox. I have customized my toolbars and addons to optimize my screen space. Suddenly toolbars were changed, and my search bar disappeared. Tabs suddenly reverted to using the Windows Title bar color (dark teal) making background tabs impossible to read. The Addon bar is GONE and all its icons moved to the Menu bar, which was already full. It's taken me an hour to get the UI back to a usable state and I'm more than a little annoyed.

This is the second time recently that a UI change (font sizing) has caused a loss of productivity. Firefox should respect my choice of Windows theme at a bare minimum (window style, titlebar color, menu fonts, ..) I've been a geek for decades and can usually find a work-around. Most people don't post here, they just start using another browser.

DanRaisch

Post Posted May 9th, 2014, 3:16 pm

No, a great many people post here and are advised to check the stickies at the top of the Firefox Support Forum. There are extensions (Classic Theme Restorer for one) to help with changing the look of the new UI so it is more like older versions.

Keep in mind that we are not Mozilla. MozillaZine is a user-helping-user support forum which is not formally affiliated with Mozilla. We're happy to help those who are sincere in seeking support to use Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, etc. but we don't have any stake in what browser folks choose to use.

pdrummond

Post Posted May 11th, 2014, 5:30 pm

Appreciate the nice reply. I didn't realize that this form is not connected to anyone at mozilla who's responsible for this huge change - which I casually enabled thinking it was a security update.

I disabled all my addons but my Bookmark toolbar was still blank. So I had no choice but to create a new profile and started the painful process of recreating all my customizations. The hardest part is recreating the bookmarks which I need. It should take several hours. I decided to pass on the Theme Restorer as I thought it would be the same amount of work.

billko

Post Posted May 11th, 2014, 6:24 pm

That's the problem with their version numbering system. You can't tell if an update represents a major upgrade or not. It used to be that if FF changed the major revision number, you'd expect wholesale changes. Now, who knows?

LoudNoise

Post Posted May 11th, 2014, 6:38 pm

pdrummond wrote: I decided to pass on the Theme Restorer as I thought it would be the same amount of work.

So, are you going to bitch about V 29 rather then solve your problems?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

BDProductions

Post Posted May 12th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Excuse us?

Why not bitch about an important feature for those who have enough addon buttons and details to NEED the bottom Addons bar?

Maybe YOU don't need it, but that's no reason to force everyone who DOES need it to resort to third party addons.

How hard can it be to restore if a ~22KB addon can fix it temporarily?

I say temporarily because this is not the first time Mozilla has tried to take away the addons bar at the bottom of the browser... Devs seem to think those of us that want it just don't matter... Honestly, F them. We DO matter.

What legitimate reason is there to remove it and not have an option in "customization" that lets us put it back if we want without having to run another addon? Native would be FAR superior.

As an addon, the addons bar could be disabled with yet another Firefox "update."

Native would be far less likely broken by a future update to the browser.

How many people need to file a complaint, here, and via the Help Menu option to "Submit Feedback" before Mozilla devs will see they were wrong to remove the addons bar completely, instead of just disabling it and leaving an enable option in customization?

Seriously, it looks like devs are trying to piss off the Firefox user base by crippling often used functionality.

I know I am not the only one who does not have enough room on the end of the menu bar to handle all my addons, most importantly my weather addon...

Many of us would rather have small status updates on the bottom than being forced to run extra addons to fix something that never should have been removed... much less should we be told by Loud Noise not to bitch about it..

Who gave LN the right to tell anyone what they may bitch about or not? NOBODY did.

I am starting a campaign to get as many disgruntled users to complain about loss of features we care about in all of Mozilla's official complaint departments... Certainly here and in the browser feedback links, as a start.

We are tired of Mozilla devs killing off major compelling reasons to use Firefox over any other browser.

I guess Management at Mozilla will have to direct the devs, or risk Firefox losing market share and trust of it's user base. Why should we have to lose features and run more and more addons to PATCH an artificial problem?

That will only make Firefox LESS stable, and prompt people to move to Opera, Chrome, or another browser that doesn't make stupid anti-customer decisions...

[edit]
Can you supply one good reason the native addons bar was removed? Further, can you supply a good reason it was removed without an option to restore it for those who want it, possibly in the "cutomization menu?"
[/edit]

the-edmeister

Post Posted May 12th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Why not? This is a Firefox support forum, not a "gab / bitch" fest.

Dan wrote:Keep in mind that we are not Mozilla. MozillaZine is a user-helping-user support forum which is not formally affiliated with Mozilla. We're happy to help those who are sincere in seeking support to use Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, etc. but we don't have any stake in what browser folks choose to use.

The proper place to provide feedback to Mozilla is here: https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/feedback

Bottom line is this ain't Mozilla!

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Frank Lion

Post Posted May 12th, 2014, 2:24 pm

BDProductions wrote:Who gave LN the right to tell anyone what they may bitch about or not?

I did.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

LoudNoise

Post Posted May 12th, 2014, 2:36 pm

I wasn't telling you that you don't have the right to bitch. If you are not interested in solving your problem I am going to avoid returning to the topic unless called.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

DanRaisch

Post Posted May 12th, 2014, 2:53 pm

Frank Lion wrote:
BDProductions wrote:Who gave LN the right to tell anyone what they may bitch about or not?

I did.

And, more to the point, the forum Administrator did by making him a moderator.

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted May 12th, 2014, 3:26 pm

pdrummond, just install CTR, check the preferences you want, and all will be well. Takes 5 minutes. Really, it's great.

But spare us the histrionics. We're users giving our time to help users, and we haven't got time for crying towels.

Return to Firefox Support