Firefox ESR, how long will ESR be without the australis?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
LoudNoise

Re: Firefox ESR, how long will ESR be without the australis?

Post by LoudNoise »

As noted about three thousand times around here, Palemoon is nothing more then Firefox with some accessibility, child protection and reporting items removed and compiled for 64 bit processors. They simply don't have the number of people necessary to maintain this for very long and certainly don't have the number of folks needed to maintain a true fork.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

asdfgf wrote:... it looks as though Palemoon going to be the best choice out there.

...until the one guy doing it croaks or gets a life.

Please stop pimping this stuff here, it's getting very old now.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
asdfgf

Post by asdfgf »

With all due respect to the apologists, all my post said was that if you don't like Australis, you can switch to Palemoon when the 24ESR runs out-this is true. Everyone knows that Palemoon is nothing more than a stripped-down Firefox-why so defensive? I think the fact that Firefox is hemorrhaging users has got this board a little jumpy. BTW, Palemoon has been around since January of 2010. There's so little difference that it could be maintained by almost anyone with basic coding skills if they wanted to. Chillax, guys, they're all free browsers-if we don't like one, we can go to another.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Not defensive at all we are, just getting tired of the fanboy nonsense, " (name that mild Windows spend off) has decided not to adopt Australis". It won't happen simply because it will be impossible to maintain for any length of time.

Also, it took me about five minutes to get Firefox 29 to way I wanted it to. I didn't use Classic Theme Restorer either.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

asdfgf wrote:With all due respect to the apologists...

Duh......try looking at the UA strings at the bottom of the posts.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

JoeG wrote:
James wrote:... then use those preview builds which are not meant for public use (even with testers) in mind.
OK, thanks. Ummm, what are these builds meant for, please?

The primary function of the ESR Nightly builds is to have a place to port over new security patches from Nightly. Because those patches are designed for a completely different version, it's possible that there may be regressions or unexpected conflicts. It's really not a good idea to recommend it.

And as far as the title of the OP goes: we are now looking at 4 months till ESR also gets Australis. Because of this, recommending people who are upset with Australis switch to ESR is mostly just a big waste of their time at this point.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
patrickjdempsey

asdfgf wrote:BTW, Palemoon has been around since January of 2010. There's so little difference that it could be maintained by almost anyone with basic coding skills if they wanted to.

The fact that there is so little difference between PaleMoon and Firefox is *exactly* why it's going to be difficult to support a non-Australis version into the future. It's not like Mozilla is just going to sit still and stop making changes. Just ask the SeaMonkey developers... the Firefox devs LOVE making changes for no particular reasons and the changes will just keep coming. Also, Australis has been 4 years in the making. What was once "cutting edge" design is now old hat and I'm sure Mozilla is already thinking about the next big iteration of changes.

And as I've mentioned before in these discussions, a true UI fork with a different interface is going to start encountering serious compatibility problems with extensions and themes designed expecting the Firefox interface. And even if an extension or themes author wanted to support PaleMoon... kind of hard to support a different program that uses the same GUID to pretend it's Firefox.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

patrickjdempsey wrote:
And as far as the title of the OP goes: we are now looking at 4 months till ESR also gets Australis. Because of this, recommending people who are upset with Australis switch to ESR is mostly just a big waste of their time at this point.

Patrick,

Four months is more than long enough for them to get whatever bugs exist in Australis out of there. Until then, 24 ESR is good enough for me. Tks.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

patrickjdempsey wrote:The primary function of the ESR Nightly builds is to have a place to port over new security patches from Nightly. Because those patches are designed for a completely different version, it's possible that there may be regressions or unexpected conflicts. It's really not a good idea to recommend it.
There's an Arabic proverb that can be loosely translated "Ask the patient and not the doctor". All I can say is that I've been using the ESR non-Nightly Nightly since Australis hit the Trunk Nightly, and I've never had even the slightest hiccup. Of course your mileage may vary.
patrickjdempsey wrote:And as far as the title of the OP goes: we are now looking at 4 months till ESR also gets Australis. Because of this, recommending people who are upset with Australis switch to ESR is mostly just a big waste of their time at this point.
This, Patrick - with all due respect - I'd say is a judgment call.
Last edited by joeg on June 5th, 2014, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
patrickjdempsey

ndebord wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:

Patrick,

Four months is more than long enough for them to get whatever bugs exist in Australis out of there. Until then, 24 ESR is good enough for me. Tks.

4 years should have been long enough to put out a version without those bugs. And most people aren't trying to get away from Australis because of "bugs" they are trying to get away from Australis because of planned features, which Mozilla is NOT going to roll back. James is running Firefox 32 right now and he'll tell you if you ask... there are no dramatic feature changes or revisions. What you see in Firefox 29 is what you will see in ESR when it updates.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

The analogy is certainly well out of line so let's not expand on it.
Post wrangler
patrickjdempsey

Stricken from record.
Last edited by patrickjdempsey on June 5th, 2014, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

LoudNoise wrote:The analogy is certainly well out of line so let's not expand on it.
It's gone. Sorry. :oops:
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

patrickjdempsey wrote:
ndebord wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:

Patrick,

4 years should have been long enough to put out a version without those bugs. And most people aren't trying to get away from Australis because of "bugs" they are trying to get away from Australis because of planned features, which Mozilla is NOT going to roll back. James is running Firefox 32 right now and he'll tell you if you ask... there are no dramatic feature changes or revisions. What you see in Firefox 29 is what you will see in ESR when it updates.

I understand... I'm not happy about Australis, but I am not going to use Chrome. If it proves unworkable, there is always SeaMonkey. Meanwhile, 2.4.5.0 is working for me.

Tks.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Split the Palemoon etc stuff off here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2841281
Post wrangler