I can no longer log in to PayPal. Why and what to do?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mbeychok

I can no longer log in to PayPal. Why and what to do?

Post by mbeychok »

I am using the latest FireFox (updated last week to 30.0, I believe). Since the latest update, I can no longer log into my PayPal account. When I phoned PayPal, they told me to try using the Internet Explorer browser, which I did ... and I was easily able to log into Paypal using that browser.

But why am I no longer able to log into PayPal using FireFox? From my search of recent FAQs, it appears that others have the same problem. Why has this happened and what can I do about it?

Someone suggested clearing my cache before logging in, but that did not solve the problem. Someone also suggested deleting the PayPal cookies, but that also did not work. What else can I try?

In the FAQ, someone named dfoulkes said that allowing all scripts to pass cleared up the problem for him. Will that work? If so, how do I allow all scripts to pass?

Once again, can anyone please tell me how to log into PayPal using my FireFox 30.0 browser??

Milt Beychok
woodrowGrant
Re: I can no longer log in to PayPal. Why and what to do?

Post by woodrowGrant »

. Someone also suggested deleting the PayPal cookies, but that also did not work. What else can I try?

have you added PayPal to your cookies Exceptions list?
as Allowed cookies
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Well, I just logged into my PayPal account with FF30 no problem. Adblock Plus with the Easylist subscription is the only blocking type extension I have installed. Didn't have to do anything. First time I've logged into it in a long time.
mbeychok

Post by mbeychok »

woodrowGrant:

Thanks for your comment. After re-visiting the PayPal site once again, the cookie list now includes PayPal cookies again, so I assume they are allowed.

As for allowing cookies in the Exceptions list, please tell me the path to the Exceptions list?

Milt Beychok
woodrowGrant

Post by woodrowGrant »

in the Menu bar, click Tools, click Options, click Privacy tab

in the Firefox will box, select Use custom settings for History

now you can see the [Exceptions] button
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

In the FAQ, someone named dfoulkes said that allowing all scripts to pass cleared up the problem for him. Will that work? If so, how do I allow all scripts to pass?

I'll assume that that was not a FAQ in reality... but just one of the Topics running around in here.

My point with allowing scripts to pass meant that I use the script blocking extension NoScript and once I allowed scripts to activate PayPal worked fine. Because Scripts can "run stuff" in a computer I like to activate them on a as-needed-basis. I do have PayPal cookies in here all the time though.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Anyone thought of just deleting those cookies and letting them re-set?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

And good, old fashioned Safe Mode couldn't hurt....
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

mbeychok wrote:woodrowGrant:

Thanks for your comment. After re-visiting the PayPal site once again, the cookie list now includes PayPal cookies again, so I assume they are allowed.

As for allowing cookies in the Exceptions list, please tell me the path to the Exceptions list?

Milt Beychok

From the post by the OP above I'm not sure if the issue has been resolved or not.
mbeychok

Post by mbeychok »

Malliz:

I did just what you said ... deleted the Paypal cookies and let them reset. It did not solve the problem. I still could not log in to Paypal.

Surely on of the forum moderators like DanRaisch has an answer to this problem. How do we get him to take a look?

Milt Beychok
mbeychok

Post by mbeychok »

To all who have responded so far:

I have been using the FireFox browser for about 6-7 years and I have had a business account (not a personal account) for over 10 years with PayPal. Up until this last FireFox update, I have used FireFox to access my PayPal business account about 2-3 times a day to check the status of payments sent to me by buyers of the book that I sell through my website.

I simply fail to understand why I can still access my PayPal account with the Internet Explorer (IE) browser but I cannot access PayPal with my primary browser which is FireFox. Can some of our FireFox moderators and/or administrators take a look at how the IE browser manages to access PayPal? That might be helpful.

Milt Beychok
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

JayhawksRock suggested safe-mode and that's exactly what Dan would suggest.

Try running Firefox in safe-mode...
...this is a testing procedure only and not to be used for normal browsing.

On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled.... Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does
Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled.
* The default theme is used, without a persona.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled.
* The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default toolbar layout is used.
* Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

... and a big FYI ... many people who have posted around here have a ton of more experience that Mods when it comes to some of the tech stuff... I'm not taking away from their knowledge here ... but, Mods main function is to ... well ... moderate the health of the board.... others like malliz and JayhawksRock (hope I didn't miss anybody :-" ) are extremely knowledgeable about this stuff.
therube

Post by therube »

> I ... fail to understand why ... I cannot access PayPal with my primary browser which is FireFox

What does happen when you try?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
woodrowGrant

Post by woodrowGrant »

. Someone also suggested deleting the PayPal cookies, but that also did not work. What else can I try?
what cookies settings are you using?

try this setting
Keep until I close Firefox

access my PayPal business account about 2-3 times a day
for such situations I would use LastPass and have it set on Auto Login
Last edited by woodrowGrant on June 24th, 2014, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbeychok

Post by mbeychok »

therube:

What happened before the recent FF update:

The http://www.paypal.com initial display would ask for my business account login id and my login password. I would enter those. The display would then show a moderately large continuously revolving circle and the word "connecting". After about 5 seconds, I would then be connected.

What happens since after the recent FF update:

The http://www.paypal.com initial display asks for my business account login id and my login password. I then enter those. The tab shows the words "logging in" and the display shows a somewhat larger continuously revolving circle (i.e., larger than before the recent FF update) and the words "one moment". But I am never connected ... the circle continues to revolve and the words "one moment" continue to be displayed. I have waited as long as 5 minutes before I finally close the tab.

Milt Beychok