Chinese characters superimposed

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
HiBuzz52

Chinese characters superimposed

Post by HiBuzz52 »

Since Firefox updated itself (34.0) Chinese characters are superimposed randomly on browser window. This does not happen on every page, and if a page it's on is closed and opened again they usually disappear. Checked for virus ... none. Anybody? Thanks for your help.
LoudNoise

Re: Chinese characters superimposed

Post by LoudNoise »

Is Chinese one of the languages you use?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
HiBuzz52

Post by HiBuzz52 »

No, don't use Chinese at all. This only started happening since the update.
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
HiBuzz52

Post by HiBuzz52 »

Allow page to choose fonts was already enabled ... if that's what you're referring to.
therube

Post by therube »

Screenshot?

Does the problem persist if you restart in Safe Mode?
(Help | Restart with addons disabled)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

If it continues in SafeMode, try disabling all of your Plugins in the Addons Manager > Plugins tab by setting them to Never Activate.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
alanlw

Post by alanlw »

I've got this too. I can't seem to attach my screen print alas. :(
Like the other guy I do not use or read Chinese. It has disappeared for the moment after a restart of Firefox.
alanlw

Post by alanlw »

Spoke too soon - it's just started again.
James

Post by James »

This may be due to the McAfee SiteAdvisor extension so try to disable or remove it.

https://support.mozilla.org/forums/contributors/710905?last=63085#post-63083
HiBuzz52

Post by HiBuzz52 »

Thanks for your reply. I will see if SiteAdvisor is the culprit. Here is an example of what I'm talking about ... see the symbols above the thumbnails on this Words With Friends page. (But this is not the only place it happens. Also, when I refreshed the page, the were gone.) http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e27/s ... dcf9c2.jpg

therube

Post by therube »

URL of the page that screenshot is from?
Jerry Greenberg

Post by Jerry Greenberg »

HiBuzz52 wrote:Since Firefox updated itself (34.0) Chinese characters are superimposed randomly on browser window. This does not happen on every page, and if a page it's on is closed and opened again they usually disappear. Checked for virus ... none. Anybody? Thanks for your help.

--

I have five computers in our family with Firefox. On all the computers we can see Chinese or Asian characters mixed in with the tabs at the top. If Firefox is restarted they go away for a while until provoked to come back.

I found these can be often provoked to come back, by dragging out a tab to become a new window. Another way is by manually selecting to open a link in a new window. Letting Firefox open the new link however it wants to reduces the frequency of this problem.

When contacting McAfee tech support I was told by their tech support person that this should problem should be taken up with the Firefox developers since the fault started after the last update.

From my observation this problem seems to have appeared shortly after the last update of Firefox. Mozilla does not support rolling back their updates. I would have done this. I am not so concerned about the security issue with rolling back because I am very particular about the sites I visit, and I keep current images of all the computer in case I have to re-load back a computer due to a serious problem. If I did not have so many file changes on my computers, I would load back an image from before the last Firefox update.

I have a very fast computer and very fast internet speed. It can load Firefox in about 4 seconds or so. I have a restart button I simply click on to reload. Most of the time I don't have this problem, but when it does come it is very annoying.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Jerry Greenberg wrote:When contacting McAfee tech support I was told by their tech support person that this should problem should be taken up with the Firefox developers since the fault started after the last update.

Nope, it doesn't work like that. All extensions and themes for Firefox, like the McAfee extension, have to work satisfactorily with Firefox, not the other way around. How could it be any different? There are over 12,000 extensions and the dog wags the tail, not 12,000 tails wagging the dog.

They need to fix their extension.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

Well if you think it is McAfee related, then the first thing I would do is disable any McAfee extension/plugin (Tools | Addons Manager), restart FF, & see if the issue has stopped.