Profile in use, lost bookmarks, other bookmark questions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Filipp0s

Profile in use, lost bookmarks, other bookmark questions

Post by Filipp0s »

Lost Bookmarks/Profile In Use
Lost your bookmarks and settings?

Also, answer these questions to help the developers prevent data loss in the future.

Import Bookmarks
Firefox has an Import Wizard [under: File | Import] which is capable of importing bookmarks automatically. Only use these instructions if the Import Wizard doesn't work.
<li>Import Bookmarks from Internet Explorer
<li>Import Bookmarks from Opera
<li>Import Bookmarks from Safari
<li>Import Bookmarks from MSN Explorer

Export / Back up Bookmarks
To export Bookmarks to an .html file open the Bookmarks Manager [under: Bookmarks | Manage Bookmarks...], then File | Export...
<li>A Listing of Firefox bookmark backup extensions and utilities

Other Questions
<li>Where are the bookmarks stored?
In your profile, in a file called bookmarks.html.
<li>Is there any way to have Multiple Bookmark Toolbars?.
<li>To replace bookmark favicons, get the Favicon Picker extension

[Feedback appreciated]
Last edited by Filipp0s on August 23rd, 2005, 7:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post by Guest »

i can't make any new bookmarks. Tried re-installing, creating new profile, nothing works. I even imported the internet explorer bookmarks, but still can't make new ones.
xdoom

Post by xdoom »

i lost everything in Firefox 1.0.7
bookmarks, settings

i did what was all to do for recovering but its all empty.
I saw this after my computer crashed.
What to do?
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Guest: Would your profile be read-only? Please answer the > questions < above if you're posting to this thread. And please do use some name. It's very difficult to help grey mass of guests. People get mixed. That answer the questions goes for xdoom too. Xdoom since you're registered, you can edit your old post to include the details.
areafire

Post by areafire »

I have been using firefox for quite a while now, but today i have been having problems. My brower closed and when I tried to open a new one it said I needed an ID and that the USER Id was already being used. So I created a new one, but now all my bookmarks and everything are gone! How do I fix this? I'm not sure what happenend...
bainidhedub

Post by bainidhedub »

i'm having the same problem as areafire, and it continues after restarting. what's going on, and is there a way to get back my old settings and bookmarks?
bainidhedub

Post by bainidhedub »

aha! found the right page of instructions. running "firefox.exe -p" brought up the box to choose profiles& everything is back. thanks! (and sorry for not being able to just edit)
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

areafire, PLEASE! Look at the very first line of this thread! G'damn!

bainidhedub, registered users have improved powers set, including editing ones posts

Post by Guest »

Fat John, I did. It didn't work. And it still doesn't explain what went wrong. OKKKK???
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

So, reboot and type firefox -p to start > run. Then select default profile and start. Got em back?

It's not known what causes that, that's why there's no explanation. But next time you see that dialog, hit exit. Than start task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and kill firefox.exe process. Then start and it should use your profile.
Robin D. Owens

Post by Robin D. Owens »

I had a crash yesterday online (a blue screen of death) and all my bookmarks are gone, too! I use these as research for my writing, panel for my website, etc. I am at day job now, but will send this page to home to work with after my writing time tonight.
birthe

lost bookmarks

Post by birthe »

I deleted my profile and now all my bookmarks are gone. Is there any chance to get them back?
12341234sadf

Post by 12341234sadf »

How do you change the existing favorites to an HTML document ro import them? I had AOL, and now I was to take them and import them into internet explorer. How do you change it to HTML?

Post by Guest »

Firefox for Linux question :

"Import bookmarks from Opera" , wizard , where does firefox search - what file can I hack to make firefox open the right /myfolder/opera.adr (opera.adr being the bookmark file of Opera ) ?
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

guest, try http://bookmarkbridge.sourceforge.net/index.html
- Supports IE, Firefox/Firebird/Phoenix, Mozilla, Opera, Konqueror.