Profile in use, lost bookmarks, other bookmark questions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can try this: Importing AOL Favorite Places to Bookmarks - MozillaZine Forums (it's an old link so I don't know if it's still working)
LZRamsay

bookmarks toolbar

Post by LZRamsay »

My <bookmarks toolbar> bookmarks do not show up on the third line of the browser, even though that option in checked when you right-click the first or third lines of the browser. How can I fix this?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Try this: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_custo ... on_startup

Deleting localstore.rdf will reset all the toolbar settings, so you might first try to rename (e.g. localstore.rdf.org) to test if that solves it.
ag-systems

Bookmark files are all just a few k in size

Post by ag-systems »

*sighs* I am having a different, yet similar issue. I opened firefox a day or so ago to go check some email. And was startled when I saw the bookmarks toolbar was blank. Looked at my bookmarks manager, also no bookmarks. My history is still intact. I have followed directions in the past pages, none apply. My profile is still there, but my bookmarks files are all tiny, and all contain only the basic intial links, such as links to mozilla/firefox places.

I have run chkdsk under Windows XP Pro [I can only find a simple dos window popup] and it seems to think everything is fine. Help?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If you are running Fx 1.5 or 1.5.0.1 you can check the bookmarkbackups folder in your Profile Folder

See: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks
ag-systems

Post by ag-systems »

No--I've read all of that already as well, but the issue is that I have bookmark files named bookmarks.htm and bookmarks.bat, but they are only a few k in size, and I've been using this pc longer than that.
ag-systems

Post by ag-systems »

Ah--forgot to add I am using firefox 1.07
LZRamsay

bookmarks toolbar

Post by LZRamsay »

Thanks dickvl for helping me put my missing bookmark toolbar shorcuts back.

I did the safe mode start, reset the toolbars and controls, and everything popped back up. And in the process of customizing the toolbar afterwards I accidentallly managed to make everthing fit onto two lines instead of three, which is nicer. Thanks for your help.

double bookmarks

Post by Guest »

i have 2 computers and i want to keep the same bookmarks on each. i exported my bookmarks to a file and emailed it to myself but when i import them i now have 2 of everything. is there a way to stop duplicates and is this the right way to keep my bookmarks current on each machine? i am using ff 1.0.7.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Guest. You can simply copy the file instead of importing it into the existing file. You will find the file in your profile folder, which is probably in folder %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles . (Or see my signature for profiles.)

Post by Guest »

i copied the bookmark html file and mailed it to myself. then i copied the bookmark html file on the second machine for a backup. i then copied and pasted the one i mailed myself but after re-starting firefox my bookmarks remained the same. what am i doing wrong?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Did you copy the file to the correct location?

You can use this to find/verify the location of the profile:
(from: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder#Other_profiles)

Open: Tools > JavaScript Console and click 'All' and 'Clear' to clear the display and copy/paste this code in the field near the top.
Presss the Return or Enter key, or click the Evaluate button.
The console displays the location of the profile that is currently in use.

Code: Select all

Components.classes["@mozilla.org/file/directory_service;1"].getService( Components.interfaces.nsIProperties).get("ProfD", Components.interfaces.nsIFile).path

Close Firefox and find the Profile Folder.
If you use windows XP/2K then use this: (%APPDATA% is a hidden folder)
Start > Run: %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ (copy/paste)

Go to the xxxxxxxx.default or default.xxx folder (random name).
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Here's your profile: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#backup .
And here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder .

You can view the bookmarks files by opening them with your browser, so you can see what you are doing.
laughingvoid

Post by laughingvoid »

I had the profile thing pop up and like an idiot thought it would be best to delete the default and then just create a new one. Of course, I lost all my files and now I can't get them back again. Doing the firefox -p thing doesn't work because I have a new default one...

Is there any possible way to get back bookmarks and such after the default profile has been deleted? Thanks a lot :)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Depends on whether you checked "Delete files" when you deleted your profile. If you didn't, the profile directory with all its files are still there.