Profile in use, lost bookmarks, other bookmark questions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
hellene

Post by hellene »

Guest, see here http://the-edmeister.home.comcast.net/t ... g_box.html

close Firefox and reboot the computer. Don't open Firefox.

Start>run

firefox.exe -p

exactly as I have typed it.

This will start the profile manager and allow you to recover your old profile.

As you would have found if you had read the first post in this thread.....:)
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy

Post by Guest »

When i posted my first conig-skin-bookm lost someone told me to do the same,but when y choose the default profile (the only in the list) i get a clear firefox,like when i installed it for first time,my problem is that firefox deletes my config-etc when he wants and i can't get it back :(
slotnick

Post by slotnick »

hello, I just lost my bookmarks aswell due tue the firefox profile manager issue.
I tried the firefox -p trick in run, but all I've got is a older version of my bookmarks

As far as I know Firofox worked perfectly, no crashes during the day.

All of a sudden I had to choose profile whan I opened firefox. when i chose the profile with my name it said it was already in use.

I run XP and firefox 1.0.7.0

NTFS

Any other suggestions than the firefox -p???

thanks
hellene

Post by hellene »

slotnick, don't choose the profile with your name, choose the one marked "default". That's the old one.
slotnick

Post by slotnick »

wow, thanks for the fast repy

the problem is tha i had created the profile with my name before, during another one of these crashes

I have 3 to choose from: 'defaullt1' (older bookmarks), 'default user'(no bookmarks), "my name"(older bookmarks)

It seems like most of the others can find their latest bookmarks, but for some reason it seems like mine are nowhere to find. I went checking in my user profile and the bookmarks.html. says it's last modified today, so normally it should have my recent ones, but for some reason it hasn't.

do you have any suggestions how this might have happened?, and what i can do about it?

thanks again for all your help
hellene

Post by hellene »

slotnick, the only other thing I can suggest is to do a search for *bookmark*.* (with all the wildcards, and ensuring that you are searching for hidden and system files as well as the normal ones). Examine every file you find. If that don't turn 'em up, I suspect nothing will.
slotnick

Post by slotnick »

Hellene,

I just did that, and yes, I've found them!

There's another thing now though:

I chose to start firefox from 'default user' (because that's what's adviced) and then I've imported my bookmarks => this works

But now firefox is creating some files in 'my documents' (filenames like: 'compatibility'; 'components'; 'cookies'; XUL.mfl', ...)

I suppose these files are ment to be in my user profile or something???

- Any suggestions about how to solve this issue

Thanks again for your fast support!
hellene

Post by hellene »

Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!

When you create a profile in a custom location, Firefox doesn't create a subfolder for it, it just shoves all the files in the folder specified.

You must have accidentally allowed Firefox to create a profile in "My Documents". DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DELETE THIS PROFILE. It may delete your entire My Documents folder.

I would go back to using one of the other profiles or create a new one, but be sure to create a folder for it first. Once you have changed profile, you can safely delete the files it is creating.
slotnick

Post by slotnick »

Allrighty, just did as you said, I suppose it works out now.

now I have 4 user profiles (default1; default user; my name; the new one I'm using now), and I use only one => can I delete the others, or is it adviced to keep them?

Also, did I do anything wrong which caused this problem (had to choose user prifele all of a sudden) initially?

thanks again for your supperb support!!!
timwinston

Post by timwinston »

Which problem did you experience... profile corruption/loss or only bookmark loss? profile loss

Did this happen after a Firefox crash? Yes

Did your computer crash, or did this occur after a normal shut down? DSoD

Was Firefox open when your computer crashed or was shut down? Yes

What operating system do you use (and which version)? XP Pro SP2

What is the filesystem of your hard drive(s)? (how to find out) NTFS

What version of Firefox/Firebird were you using when your bookmarks were lost or your profile was corrupted? 1.0.6

If you upgraded Firefox versions, did you create a new profile or upgrade using the old one? (if you don't know, chances are you upgraded, but please say that you are unsure) Upgraded

If you upgraded an old profile, what version of Firefox/Firebird did you originally use? 1.0.x

Did you lose other files or settings in other applications (including non-Mozilla)? No

Do you use or have you installed any bookmark-related extensions? No

Firefox behaved as if it was a fresh install. The blue screen reported a problem in my video driver. Has not happened before. System is otherwise apperently fine after restart.

This is my second time. I am trying to think of a reason besides MS resistance to stay with Firefox. This has been an ongoing issue. If you can't figure out why it happens, at least automatically back up the profiles periodically.
hellene

Post by hellene »

slotnick wrote:Allrighty, just did as you said, I suppose it works out now.

now I have 4 user profiles (default1; default user; my name; the new one I'm using now), and I use only one => can I delete the others, or is it adviced to keep them?

Also, did I do anything wrong which caused this problem (had to choose user prifele all of a sudden) initially?

thanks again for your supperb support!!!
Slotnick, you can leave the other ones. They don't take up much filespace and it's safer than risking wiping your My Documents folder! If you do delete them, do it by locating the folder and files and deleting them, don't use Profile Manager delete button.

The reason it happens is that either

(1)when you tried to start firefox, a firefox.exe process was already running because the browser had failed to shut down properly. Always use File>exit when you have finished and want to close the browser. It runs a different and more thorough process than the Windows X.

(2)when Firefox is running it creates a file called parent.lock which stops your profile being opened twice. It deletes parent.lock at the end of the session. Sometimes if the browser or (more likely) the computer crashed, parent.lock doesn't get deleted.

If it happens to you again (Firefox tells you that your profile is in use), say NO to the Profile Manager and close it. Check in Windows Task Manager on the PROCESS tab for any firefox.exe processes and kill them. If in doubt, reboot the pc. If you still get the Profile Manager after a reboot, say NO again, and search for a hidden/system file called parent.lock. Delete it, and Firefox should start normally with your preferred profile.
slotnick

Post by slotnick »

hellene,

thanks for everything => it runs solid now :)

regards
hellene

Post by hellene »

You're welcome. Go good now :)
TomboAhi

Bookmarks with an apostrophe rename.

Post by TomboAhi »

All of my bookmarks that have an apostrophe in their name keep renaming by changing the apostrophe to

Code: Select all

'

For example Tom's Hardware becomes

Code: Select all

Tom's Hardware.

Is there a way to stop this?

Thanks

EDIT: Well it wont let me get the chars together ehre but its.

& # 3 9 ; all together. Its the long way of doing a simple apostrophe
hellene

Post by hellene »

Is there a way to stop this?
Don't create names with an apostrophe?