MozillaZine

Viewing options on Craigslist not working - help

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Twelda

Post Posted January 8th, 2015, 5:10 pm

When you browse any category on Craigslist there are 4 viewing style options you can select from at the top of the page - List, Thumb, Gallery, & Map. Earlier this week they stopped working for me. Also, if a listing includes multiple pictures you can normally hover the cursor over each thumbnail and it will become a full-size pic. That has stopped working as well. The first thumbnail shows in its full size, but moving the cursor to any other thumbnail results in the full-size space above the thumbnails to go blank.

I thought it was a Craigslist issue, but after several days of it not working I created a new Firefox profile and went to Craigslist and I didn't have any of these issues. I disabled all my add-ons but that didn't help. I compared my settings on both profiles but didn't see anything that stood out as the culprit. I also don't remember making any changes to my settings recently. What am I overlooking?

There are also 3 sorting options at the top of a category page in Craigslist (by date, and by price ascending or descending) and those do work with my profile that I'm having these issues with.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Firefox 34.0.5
Win XP SP3

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted January 8th, 2015, 7:09 pm

You might try clearing out your cache... could be an old version of the site is cached causing problems.

Press Alt > Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content > Clear Now.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

Twelda

Post Posted January 8th, 2015, 7:21 pm

I should have mentioned that my cache gets emptied whenever I close Firefox. Thanks though.

dfoulkes

Post Posted January 8th, 2015, 7:32 pm

I thought it was a Craigslist issue, but after several days of it not working I created a new Firefox profile and went to Craigslist and I didn't have any of these issues.

So a new profile worked OK? ...

So back to your main profile... lots of extensions either create their own prefs.js records so that their apps. work properly but some of them actually go into the prefs that Firefox created and make changes... that may be part of your issue.

When you say that you disabled all your addons (Extensions) did you manually do that or did you restart Firefox into safe-mode (which temp-disables Extensions while in that mode) ... if you didn't do safe-mode then do that to see what happens with craigslist.

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!

Twelda

Post Posted January 9th, 2015, 4:23 am

Yes, creating a new profile and going to CL I had none of the issues.

I disabled my extensions manually (I have less than 10) and restarted Firefox and still had the same issues. I just used safe-mode as you suggested - no change.

I thought it might be a javascript issue but when I searched for javascript settings in about:config I didn't see any differences between my messed up profile and the new one I created.

Since I can't figure this out, this is where a non-expert like me assumes that something in my profile has been corrupted. I'm hesitant to start using a new profile though because of the hassle of customizing all my settings.

What else do you suggest?

dfoulkes

Post Posted January 9th, 2015, 11:42 am

1st... back up your prefs.js file while Firefox is closed.

I don't know how much you know about the prefs.js data but in it are various records relating to extensions and then normally start with extension ... so if you typed that into the about:config window it will list everything in there that has that word. Now... review everything that gets listed to see if you have any 'old' records in there that were left behind when you uninstalled an extension... it's kind of a long shot but there may be old ones in there that might be messing things up and you can remove them by a right-click and a Reset of that record... and they will go away. Once that is done then restart Firefox. Again... this is a long shot about all this.

Another thing you could do is while in that same file.... click on Heading 'Status' and the records will sort by that field... and then you can look at those areas where it shows User Set in them and then see if anything 'might' have something to do with your issue... again... long shot... and make sure that you have backed up that file at the start.

Anyhow... short of building up that new profile... that's some of the steps that I would do... if nothing fixes anything... a buildup of that new profile is about the only other thing that I can come up with... it's not as hard as it sounds/seems... especially when you can have both profiles open running at the same time... by using this code in the shortcut for all profiles other than your default profile...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_a_new ... er_profile

And this doc. helps in building up that new profile... JIC.
Transferring data to a new profile - Firefox - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Twelda

Post Posted January 11th, 2015, 10:42 am

Thanks for the help. I'm familiar with prefs.js and using about: config. I used the MozBackup program I found through your link and backed up the profile I'm having issues with. Then I used the Profile Manager and created a new profile (but didn't start Firefox, so the profile is basically just a placeholder at this point), and then used MozBackup again to restore portions of the problem profile into the new one. I did this multiple times with successive 'new' profiles.

I think it's something in the prefs.js. In MozBackup, I first restored everything but still had issues with the new profile. That didn't surprise me because, unless I'm missing something, restoring everything just gives you an identical profile with a new name, right? I then tried a variety of 'partial' profile restorations without success, but when I restored everything except 'general settings,' which I assume is the contents of prefs.js, the issues on Craigslist were gone.

So apparently there's an issue in the pref.js file. One thing I remembered since I started this topic is that I recently set my extensions to update automatically. Not sure why I did that, but I did. When I did a 'view recent updates' last week I remembered seeing that the extension NoScript had been updated, and that's about when these issues started. The thing is, I've had that extension for quite a while, but I've never used it. I found out about it and thought it looked useful so I installed it but disabled it until I could read up about what it could do, and I've never done that, so it's just installed but disabled. Maybe something happened with the automatic update and a setting was changed or created in prefs.js? That's what I'll look into at this point, just not sure what I'm looking for.

dfoulkes

Post Posted January 11th, 2015, 12:00 pm

So apparently there's an issue in the pref.js file. One thing I remembered since I started this topic is that I recently set my extensions to update automatically. Not sure why I did that, but I did. When I did a 'view recent updates' last week I remembered seeing that the extension NoScript had been updated, and that's about when these issues started. The thing is, I've had that extension for quite a while, but I've never used it. I found out about it and thought it looked useful so I installed it but disabled it until I could read up about what it could do, and I've never done that, so it's just installed but disabled. Maybe something happened with the automatic update and a setting was changed or created in prefs.js? That's what I'll look into at this point, just not sure what I'm looking for.

I don't allow auto-updates in this PC for anything other than my AV database... kind of ... for reasons that you may be living with now.

Anyway... if you've never used NoScript and it's been disabled all this time... maybe just uninstall it, then (again after a prefs.js backup) ... remove all Extension-noscript related records from that file... then start Firefox to see if if makes a diff. In checking my prefs.js I see a ton of NoScript stuff in there and if I had to remove all of them I'd open up Wordpad and give that a try... but I see lots of those extension settings in there... it may be time to build a new profile :?: ... and... I use NoScript and have not had that problem... especially with your test site.

EDIT ... once you get this all back the way you want... you might want to think about installing this extension... it does much more than its title indicates. I have all its user option boxes active and all output is pointed to a BACKUP folder that I keep (outside of all app-areas) ... and its basic timing for backups is around every 6 hours (I think) but I changed its config stuff to around every hour or so. It keeps 7 days of rolling backups which would be good for situations like what you've had... in my case (always manual updates) ... if I had something go wrong with an update I could save myself lots of problems by just getting into the BACKUP area and recovering a file from there... I've done that a couple of times and it sure was easy.
Bookmark Backup - Pike's Mozilla Firefox Add-ons

Return to Firefox Support