Blurry Fuzzy Text In Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
SeberHusky

Blurry Fuzzy Text In Firefox

Post by SeberHusky »

This started when I upgraded from 31 to 35. It still persists when I downgraded to 33. ClearType is on, and hardware acceleration is disabled. This mainly is noticable on Google searches and YouTube.

Text is either faded, or has weird jagged stuff above the letters. Like dots.

Can anyone help?

SeberHusky

Re: Blurry Fuzzy Text In Firefox

Post by SeberHusky »

Nevermind guys, fixed it myself. It was Windows Update KB3013455 that caused this.
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Hmm.. glad I wait till the end of the month to install Windows Updates so all these things are found out. Here's a thread I found about it: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 13c05107d3
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

No font problems here on the 64-bit Windows 7 installation after running Windows Update. It seems indeed to be restricted to 32-bit machines (and not all Windows OS flavors either).
gregmlang

Post by gregmlang »

SeberHusky wrote:This started when I upgraded from 31 to 35. It still persists when I downgraded to 33. ClearType is on, and hardware acceleration is disabled. This mainly is noticeable on Google searches and YouTube.

:?: This is not exactly the same problem/solution, but the issue I have is similar, and it was driving me crazy until I found out about the ClearType fix... it was harder than hell to read that on the internet search I then did, with the lettering so damn fuzzy. It's occasionally recurring; see below.

:? No idea why it suddenly started doing this - it never happened until after an upgrade to FF 34.0.5. Any connection? Why does it randomly get squint-provoking either on starting or sometimes well after? Anyone else notice or experience the issue I've had on the computer I use? The font blurriness may have seemed better in some places than others - but was basically over all websites.
"Do computers dream of electric u's?"

The Byrds: "CTA 102"
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Latest Microsoft update released on patch tuesday created a problem with fonts but I thought it was only on Vista.... Did you read the link in MarkRH post above?
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
gregmlang

Post by gregmlang »

JayhawksRock wrote:Latest Microsoft update released on patch tuesday created a problem with fonts but I thought it was only on Vista.... Did you read the link in MarkRH post above?

:| Not yet - but not relevant to my issue (I don't think). Could do some checking when I have more time. Not a serious problem now; only happens once every few weeks. Then I just use ClearType in Windows 7 Pro, and problem solved. I'm more concerned about the possibility of this being related to a FF upgrade. The new Vista thing wouldn't be related. The upgrade on the computer I'm using was done several weeks ago - that's when the occasional problem started. Thanks for your interest and advice, though. :)

malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Please stop hijacking other peoples threads with off topic stuff
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
gregmlang

Post by gregmlang »

malliz wrote:Please stop hijacking other peoples threads with off topic stuff

No intent to hijack; similar problem. Should this be split; or I start another thread?

SeberHusky

Post by SeberHusky »

Just to verify, it had nothing to do with FireFox. I am on Vista on a 9 year old laptop, and it was the Windows Update that came a couple hours after installing Firefox (that's why I assumed Firefox did it).

I uninstalled the Windows KB update, but I forgot to block it. It reinstalled again today, and it's back to the weird text, and now I gotta do all this over again. ](*,)
unbeleevabull

Post by unbeleevabull »

Uninstalled but ... How do you block it?

P.S. Is there another standard monospace font besides Courier New (that's all I've ever used)?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

unbeleevabull wrote:Uninstalled but ... How do you block it?

P.S. Is there another standard monospace font besides Courier New (that's all I've ever used)?

Hmmm... If you are set to auto-update ... then I'm not sure... but in this Win7 system I have that turned off and when I Check for updates (and if there are any) ... and if I remember correctly... a right-click on an indiv. update has some options to block it... I believe... currently ... there are no updates needed here so I can't be sure... but I'm sure a Google search will give you the answer.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
unbeleevabull

Post by unbeleevabull »

Yea, manually applying updates would work but turning off updates is not an option here.

I installed a font manager and found a few monospaced fonts that I will try changing to.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

unbeleevabull wrote:Yea, manually applying updates would work but turning off updates is not an option here.

Yeah... that's a problem... the only way that I know off to block an update is to actually set the Update process to block it ... during a manual update check.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

You would think MS would have a fix sooner or later as it affects nearly every browser using Microsoft system fonts on Vista... Not just Firefox. The Support forums over there are filled with WTF postings by Vista IE users.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln