Pinned tabs duplicating at startup

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Pogle

Pinned tabs duplicating at startup

Post by Pogle »

I recently started using pinned tabs but every time FF37 starts they get loaded twice each. Also, I use Tab Groups and at each restart all the groups get merged into one. I fix both by loading the previous session from Session Manager. Finally realised that pinned tabs get loaded with or without Session Manager. So at startup they get loaded once by Firefox as standard and then again by Session Manager. But I don't know how to get around that. And I've no idea about the Tab Groups.
dfoulkes

Re: Pinned tabs duplicating at startup

Post by dfoulkes »

There's an option in Session mgr. in the General Tab.. then the Saving and restoring tab... it's about pinned tabs.... I don't use pinned tabs so I don't know exactly how it would affect your situation... but I just thought I'd point it out...

Below is what the S.M. help page says about that option.
When checked, loaded sessions will never overwrite existing app tabs. The sole exception to this is when restoring the previous backup or crashed session at startup since those sessions will already contain the app tabs. When not check (the default), app tabs will be overwritten when loading a session and replacing the existing windows. Note setting this can result in duplication of app tabs if the app tab exists both in the current window(s) and in the loaded session.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Pogle

Post by Pogle »

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that's the setting I mentioned. Unfortunately it doesn't make any difference in this case. (Not sure what's meant by 'app' tabs as opposed to just tabs).

Just noticed that when restarting FF by clicking Restart (after enabling/disabling addons) the problem doesn't occur.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just noticed that when restarting FF by clicking Restart (after enabling/disabling addons) the problem doesn't occur.

Was that Restart above after you 'enabled' all extensions ... or were they disabled? ... can't tell from what you posted :-" ... and/or are you saying that everything is OK now?
Pogle

Post by Pogle »

Very, very late response. Sorry, didn't get a notification and forgot about thread. But have continued having to manually reload the previous session every time I start Firefox and it's getting on my nerves. Ie. I still have the problem.

dfoulkes wrote: ... can't tell from what you posted

When you enable or disable certain plugins you get a button to restart Firefox. I'm saying that when restarting FF this way (not just quitting and restarting), regardless of which plugins have been enabled or disabled, the problem does not occur.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

When you enable or disable certain plugins you get a button to restart Firefox. I'm saying that when restarting FF this way (not just quitting and restarting), regardless of which plugins have been enabled or disabled, the problem does not occur.

'Plugins' or Extensions... there is a big diff... sounds like you are talking about Extensions....

From what you posted it sure sounds like you have a conflict between some extensions that is causing the problem... what are those Extensions that you say you disable and things work fine then.
Pogle

Post by Pogle »

My point wasn't about specific add-ons or extensions. The point was about how different ways of restarting Firefox led to different results, ie. normal close and re-open gives the problem; restarting using the restart button that appears when changing certain add-ons (regardless which) didn't lead to the problem. I was just offering this as a possible clue.

Anyway, the problem seems to have finally been fixed in some or update or other with no intervention on my part. Thanks for listening.