MozillaZine

Firefox connects to Amazon and Edgecast servers. Why?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Grumpus

Post Posted April 1st, 2017, 6:57 am

@Lotsdelere and Benjamin Markson - the link from Ben was on the right track but incomplete.
This Firefox phoning home (solved) finishes it out.
In this case it's the same detect portal issue but notes where to deal with it ion Linux.
It may be Windows has a similar situation but be careful.

Wsky

Post Posted September 30th, 2017, 8:58 am

JayhawksRock wrote:I guess the chronic paranoid will have to use their local Library to get information :shock: :D

You have GOT to be kidding me? After the Equifax breach leaking 143 million social security numbers and birth dates you STILL naively trust the authorities/corporations/browser makers with your data when they are doing unexplained things that there are no options to stop? http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/08/technol ... index.html

Now paranoia is characterized as highly agitated behavior with the feeling people are following you and trying to kill you. For example, even though people ARE following you in your car every day and sometimes can kill you, wearing a seat belt is not characterized as "paranoid", it is everyday caution and safety. The same thing with keeping unknown connections from leaving your computer ESPECIALLY when using credit card numbers, logging into health accounts and patient records. Now chronic naivete in this country, that's a problem.
I use several versions of firefox (portable, etc.). The older versions work JUST FINE without making unknown connections. So why must the new ones spread your data out on Amazon servers, Akamai, Google servers and who knows where else?

Brummelchen

Post Posted September 30th, 2017, 9:10 am

o why must the new ones spread your data out on Amazon servers, Akamai, Google servers and who knows where else?

if you had read this thread carefully you probably would know that amazon-cdn, akamai, google server are only used to have a fast access or balance the load for all over the world. it makes no sense to connect around theworld while it has a local server with same data. mozilla uses that servers to get update infos or updates.

the equifax breach is a whole complete other story whic is based on their security which is complete off cdn services. means your accusations are totally wrong due lack of knowledge.

btw older firefox versions behave same - not because the address changed - because the cdn redirect (you cannot change) is now serving data.

Reflective

Post Posted September 30th, 2017, 9:49 am

Wsky wrote:
JayhawksRock wrote:I guess the chronic paranoid will have to use their local Library to get information :shock: :D

You have GOT to be kidding me? After the Equifax breach leaking 143 million social security numbers and birth dates you STILL naively trust the authorities/corporations/browser makers with your data when they are doing unexplained things that there are no options to stop?

Install this extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ntraleyes/ It'll put your mind at ease I'm sure.

Brummelchen

Post Posted September 30th, 2017, 11:06 am

DecentralEyes (also "Local CDN") offer the option to use common used javascript source from local disc. ofc it is faster, but people also use it to prevent tracking - although this is a pretty weird thinking.

Reflective

Post Posted October 1st, 2017, 6:59 am

Brummelchen wrote:DecentralEyes (also "Local CDN") offer the option to use common used javascript source from local disc. ofc it is faster, but people also use it to prevent tracking - although this is a pretty weird thinking.

I use a free portable tool called CrowdInspect which shows all the outbound connections on my system on the fly.

For Firefox I've never seen more than three of them, one of which is to the localhost 127.0.0.1 so I figured Decentraleyes is responsible for minimizing the number of outbound connections FF makes.

Return to Firefox Support