Firefox keeps crashing - won't open anymore

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
supern0va728

Firefox keeps crashing - won't open anymore

Post by supern0va728 »

All of a sudden my firefox won't open. I get a crash error every time. Can anyone help with how I can fix this? Thank you!

AvailablePageFile: 6602674176
AvailablePhysicalMemory: 5431185408
AvailableVirtualMemory: 4060299264
BIOS_Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
BlockedDllList:
BreakpadReserveAddress: 44040192
BreakpadReserveSize: 67108864
BuildID: 20150415140819
CrashTime: 1429826751
Email: **removed email address--Dartman**
FramePoisonBase: 00000000f0de0000
FramePoisonSize: 65536
InstallTime: 1429825829
ProductID: {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
ProductName: Firefox
ReleaseChannel: release
SecondsSinceLastCrash: 227
StartupTime: 1429826750
SystemMemoryUsePercentage: 35
Throttleable: 1
TotalPageFile: 9810075648
TotalPhysicalMemory: 8467898368
TotalVirtualMemory: 4294836224
URL:
User32BeforeBlocklist: 1
Vendor: Mozilla
Version: 37.0.2

This report also contains technical information about the state of the application when it crashed.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Firefox keeps crashing - won't open anymore

Post by malliz »

Did you try starting in Firefox Safe mode?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode#Windows
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
supern0va728

Post by supern0va728 »

HI, thanks for your help (Love your dog!)

I can't even open Firefox, I double click and it doesn't open it just throws the crash error. I tried holding shift and double clicking, same result.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
supern0va728

Post by supern0va728 »

Nope, I no longer have the issue. I can open it without a problem. Is there something I can do to get my old profile working again or do I have to use this new one and reinstall?

Thank you!
supern0va728

Post by supern0va728 »

I can open it but it eventually still crashes
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

supern0va728 wrote:I can open it but it eventually still crashes

Do you mean your old profile or your new one is crashing? ... If it's the old one then you
should probably move some of your files from your old one to the new one... and then re-add your extensions.... just move data files...
Transferring data to a new profile - Firefox - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Also... every Friday I make profile backups in case I hit some problems ... you might want to think about doing something like that...
Profile backup - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
supern0va728

Post by supern0va728 »

Hi, sorry I should explain further. So with my old profile I wasn't even able to get firefox to open at all; with the new profile it opens but crashes within a minute or two of being open, even if I don't do anything. Please let me know what further information you need. Thanks for your help, I'm using Chrome and not loving it as much as Firefox.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

OK... in that new profile... have you made any changes at all? ....

Also... when you first open it and assuming that you have the time to do this... type in the location bar about:crashes and Enter... copy/paste (links only) to here... the top most crash report...

And... what Firewall and AV products do you use?
supern0va728

Post by supern0va728 »

I didn't make any changes to the new profile. I was able to get to the about: crashes and grab the most recent crash report. . I could probably grab the raw dump if needed, I clicked on the extension tab and it said none. Also I have Nortion but nothing has changed with it recently

Mozilla Crash Reports
Search

Product:

Select Version:
Report:

Super Search
Firefox 37.0.2 Crash Report [@ CertBlocklistItem::CertBlocklistItem(CertBlocklistItem const&) ]
Search Mozilla Support for Help
ID: e93e8188-4514-4406-b220-96fd62150424
Signature: CertBlocklistItem::CertBlocklistItem(CertBlocklistItem const&)

Details
Metadata
Modules
Raw Dump
Extensions

Signature CertBlocklistItem::CertBlocklistItem(CertBlocklistItem const&) More Reports Search
UUID e93e8188-4514-4406-b220-96fd62150424
Date Processed 2015-04-24 02:13:23.825735
Uptime 0
Last Crash 8 seconds before submission
Install Age 15769 since version was first installed.
Install Time 2015-04-23 21:50:29
Product Firefox
Version 37.0.2
Build ID 20150415140819
Release Channel release
OS Windows NT
OS Version 6.3.9600
Build Architecture x86
Build Architecture Info GenuineIntel family 6 model 69 stepping 1 | 4
Crash Reason EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION_READ
Crash Address 0x7aca4951
User Comments
Processor Notes sp-processor01_phx1_mozilla_com.10198:2015; MozillaProcessorAlgorithm2015; earlier processing: 2015-04-24 17:10:34.304159; skunk_classifier: reject - not a plugin hang; sp-processor03_phx1_mozilla_com.25607:2015; MozillaProcessorAlgorithm2015; skunk_classifier: reject - not a plugin hang
EMCheckCompatibility

False

Winsock LSP

Adapter Vendor ID

Adapter Device ID

Total Virtual Memory

Available Virtual Memory

System Memory Use Percentage

Available Page File

Available Physical Memory

Bugzilla - Report this bug in Firefox Core Plugins Toolkit
Related Bugs

Crashing Thread
Frame Module Signature Source
0 xul.dll CertBlocklistItem::CertBlocklistItem(CertBlocklistItem const&) security/manager/boot/src/CertBlocklist.cpp
1 xul.dll nsTHashtable<nsGenericHashKey<CertBlocklistItem> >::s_InitEntry(PLDHashTable*, PLDHashEntryHdr*, void const*) xpcom/glue/nsTHashtable.h
2 xul.dll nsTHashtable<nsBaseHashtableET<nsCStringHashKey, nsAutoPtr<DataInfo> > >::PutEntry(nsACString_internal const&) xpcom/glue/nsTHashtable.h
3 xul.dll CertBlocklist::AddRevokedCertInternal(char const*, char const*, CertBlocklistItemState, mozilla::BaseAutoLock<mozilla::Mutex>&) security/manager/boot/src/CertBlocklist.cpp
4 xul.dll CertBlocklist::AddRevokedCert(char const*, char const*) security/manager/boot/src/CertBlocklist.cpp
5 xul.dll NS_InvokeByIndex xpcom/reflect/xptcall/md/win32/xptcinvoke.cpp
6 xul.dll XPCWrappedNative::CallMethod(XPCCallContext&, XPCWrappedNative::CallMode) js/xpconnect/src/XPCWrappedNative.cpp
7 xul.dll XPC_WN_CallMethod(JSContext*, unsigned int, JS::Value*) js/xpconnect/src/XPCWrappedNativeJSOps.cpp
8 xul.dll js::Invoke(JSContext*, JS::CallArgs, js::MaybeConstruct) js/src/vm/Interpreter.cpp
9 xul.dll Interpret js/src/vm/Interpreter.cpp
10 xul.dll js::RunScript(JSContext*, js::RunState&) js/src/vm/Interpreter.cpp
11 xul.dll js::Invoke(JSContext*, JS::CallArgs, js::MaybeConstruct) js/src/vm/Interpreter.cpp
12 xul.dll js::CallOrConstructBoundFunction(JSContext*, unsigned int, JS::Value*) js/src/jsfun.cpp
13 xul.dll js::Invoke(JSContext*, JS::CallArgs, js::MaybeConstruct) js/src/vm/Interpreter.cpp
14 xul.dll Interpret js/src/vm/Interpreter.cpp
15 xul.dll js::RunScript(JSContext*, js::RunState&) js/src/vm/Interpreter.cpp
16 xul.dll js::Invoke(JSContext*, JS::CallArgs, js::MaybeConstruct) js/src/vm/Interpreter.cpp
17 xul.dll JS_CallFunctionValue(JSContext*, JS::Handle<JSObject*>, JS::Handle<JS::Value>, JS::HandleValueArray const&, JS::MutableHandle<JS::Value>) js/src/jsapi.cpp
18 xul.dll nsXPCWrappedJSClass::CallMethod(nsXPCWrappedJS*, unsigned short, XPTMethodDescriptor const*, nsXPTCMiniVariant*) js/xpconnect/src/XPCWrappedJSClass.cpp
19 xul.dll nsXPCWrappedJS::CallMethod(unsigned short, XPTMethodDescriptor const*, nsXPTCMiniVariant*) js/xpconnect/src/XPCWrappedJS.cpp
20 xul.dll PrepareAndDispatch xpcom/reflect/xptcall/md/win32/xptcstubs.cpp
21 xul.dll SharedStub xpcom/reflect/xptcall/md/win32/xptcstubs.cpp
22 xul.dll NS_InvokeByIndex xpcom/reflect/xptcall/md/win32/xptcinvoke.cpp
23 xul.dll CallMethodHelper::CallMethodHelper(XPCCallContext&) js/xpconnect/src/XPCWrappedNative.cpp
24 xul.dll NewObject js/src/jsobj.cpp
25 xul.dll js::DefineNativeProperty(js::ExclusiveContext*, JS::Handle<js::NativeObject*>, JS::Handle<jsid>, JS::Handle<JS::Value>, bool (*)(JSContext*, JS::Handle<JSObject*>, JS::Handle<jsid>, JS::MutableHandle<JS::Value>), bool (*)(JSContext*, JS::Handle<JSObject*>, JS::Handle<jsid>, bool, JS::MutableHandle<JS::Value>), unsigned int) js/src/vm/NativeObject.cpp
26 xul.dll js::NativeObject::getChildPropertyOnDictionary(js::ExclusiveContext*, JS::Handle<js::NativeObject*>, JS::Handle<js::Shape*>, js::StackShape&) js/src/vm/Shape.cpp
27 xul.dll JSObject::getGeneric(JSContext*, JS::Handle<JSObject*>, JS::Handle<JSObject*>, JS::Handle<jsid>, JS::MutableHandle<JS::Value>) js/src/vm/NativeObject.h
28 xul.dll UpdateShapeTypeAndValue js/src/vm/NativeObject.cpp

Show other threads
Mozilla Crash Reports - Powered by Socorro - All dates are UTC

Server Status Source Docs API Privacy Policy

Sign in
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Well... the best way to get crash stuff to here is to right-click on one of those crashes and copy link location... and paste here... I'm not much up on crash stuff so others who are more into it will come along... but that link(s) would be best...

Also... Norton has had some recent issues around here... with Firefox and I thought that Norton had resolved the issues... or Mozilla? ... not sure about that. But one way to test some of that ... and only when you feel that you have time... is to reboot your PC into safe-mode with Network and start up Firefox... maybe do a little 'safe browsing' ... if it doesn't crash in the allotted time... it's probably Norton or some service within that App that's causing the problem... I don't use it... have not for many years... so I'm not familiar with it... and it wouldn't hurt to do some searches here on this board and/or Norton to see if you find anything about it.
KADC

Post by KADC »

I have this same problem, except my original profile crashes within a minute or so (even if I just load it then do nothing) and the new profile lasts about five minutes before it crashes. It's the same in safe mode. Either profile will crash immediately if any kind of script is run.

This is on two different computers, one Windows 7 and one Windows XP. Both problems started yesterday. Firefox updates are disabled so that wasn't the problem. I did a system restore to a week ago with no success. I've reinstalled Firefox (not a clean install -- I'd rather identify and fix the problem than lose all my settings), disabled anti-mailware, done a full system scan with a different anti-malware program (Malwarebytes), all drivers are up to date, and neither drivers nor anything else updated on the XP machine except malware definitions in months.

It must be an add on that silently updated, but then why would it crash in safe mode?
85rx-7se

Post by 85rx-7se »

Similar issue came up here yesterday. I think it is Mozilla's way of silently forcing us to update to the latest browser. I went to FF37.0.2 and all is stable, except Adobe Flash and Shockwave sites won't load the content. Also still trying to get the look just right for me, otherwise, ok.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

KADC
What are your basic Firewall and AV products? Also... creating a new profile just for testing tells you/us something about your problem... so you might want to give that a try... it doesn't affect your default profile.

85rx-7se
From what version did you update from? ... because the latest release didn't change my look and feel..

Also... in case you have an extension causing your Flash issue...try safe-mode...

...and... is your Flash updated?
85rx-7se

Post by 85rx-7se »

I updated from FF28 (an old diehard fan of it) As to Flash and Shockwave they are at the latest versions ... Flash is at: 17.0.0.169 and Shockwave just today went to: 12.1.8.158
As to it being an extension issue, will try when I can, but highly unlikely. Same extensions were in use in FF28 .. Look and Feel: I had Firefox 3 Theme For Firefox 4+ installed in FF28 .. the best look they ever had .. it of course, is not liked by any Firefox after V29