[Linux]Firefox does not open the Save Dialog for a Download

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
s-light

[Linux]Firefox does not open the Save Dialog for a Download

Post by s-light »

Hi MozillaZine-Community,

i have posted this question some days ago in the mozilla support but did not get a solving answer -
so i thought i try it here:

I moved from Windows to Linux and just copied my Firefox profile and added it to the profiles manager..
that worked all nicely - all my open tabs and bookmarks and addons just worked...
but i have one problem:
if i try to download a file in Firefox (for example clicking on the 'Download .deb' Button)
i first get the 'opening thisfilename' Dialog (text: you have chosen to open: thisfilename..... would you like to save this file? ) if i click the 'Save File' button nothing happens.

i have set General - Downloads to 'Always ask me where to save files'. and i think that is the problem:
Firefox stores the location where it saved things for this website - so in this information there are my old windows paths - but this parts are not available on linux...
and so the save dialog crashes on trying to show me this path.
i have opened the browser console and the error gets logged:

Code: Select all

09:21:58.513 NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH: Component returned failure code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH) [nsIFile.initWithPath]1 DownloadLastDir.jsm:166:0
09:21:58.513 [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH) [nsIFile.initWithPath]"  nsresult: "0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/DownloadLastDir.jsm :: DownloadLastDir.prototype.getFileAsync/<.handleCompletion :: line 166"  data: no]1 ContentPrefUtils.jsm:50:0

if i change the Download option to Save files to 'my Download-folder' this is working.
but if i have a file (for example http://ccmixter.org/content/AlexBeroza/AlexBeroza_-_Shallow_Waters.mp3 ) that opens in the browser and i try to save the site to download the file (with context menu 'Save Page as...' or the Menu File->Save Page as... or Ctrl+S) i again get

09:26:36.371 NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH: Component returned failure code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH) [nsIFile.initWithPath]1 DownloadLastDir.jsm:166:0
09:26:36.371 [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH) [nsIFile.initWithPath]"  nsresult: "0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/DownloadLastDir.jsm :: DownloadLastDir.prototype.getFileAsync/<.handleCompletion :: line 166"  data: no]1 ContentPrefUtils.jsm:50:0

so iam not able to download this file...
i used both web-sides in windows (and saved files from them..)
if i try on a site i have not used in windows to download something all works..

so is there an option somewhere to reset the web-side-specific download locations?

in about:config filtered by 'browser.download' this are all 'userset' things:

browser.download.panel.shown: true 
browser.download.panel.firstSessionCompleted: true
browser.download.manager.alertOnEXEOpen: true

browser.download.useDownloadDir: false
browser.download.lastDir: /home/stefan/Downloads
browser.download.dir: /home/stefan/Downloads
browser.download.importedFromSqlite: true (is this related?)
browser.download.save_converter_index: 3

eventually this is more a bug than a support request - if so please move..

i hope someone can help me with this - i do not want to setup my profile from scratch...
iam fine if there is a possibility to manually search and replace the old file strings - but i don't know if there is an easy/safe way to manipulate the sqllite files?!

sunny greetings
stefan
Last edited by LIMPET235 on May 26th, 2015, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Linux to the Title.
Diane Vigil

Re: Firefox does not open the Save Dialog for a Download

Post by Diane Vigil »

Not sure about the old Windows download locations ... would setting a new location fix that?

Also, have you tried setting your options in Tools > Options > Applications?
For instance, for PDFs ("Adobe Acrobat Forms Document"), you can set it to "Always Ask" rather than only saving or only opening, or any of the other options.
s-light

Post by s-light »

Hi Diane Vigil,

if i can set a new location for every side-specific location that would be the fix!
but i don't know where to do this.
As i have tried to explain - most of the things are working if i set the configurations to use a fixed download path.
and most of the Apllication things are set to Always Ask -
and if i try to save http://ccmixter.org/ - so just hitting Ctrl+S on the main page the file save dialog does not open but in the error console pops this error up:

10:37:46.984 NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH: Component returned failure code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH) [nsIFile.initWithPath]1 DownloadLastDir.jsm:166:0
10:37:46.984 [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH) [nsIFile.initWithPath]"  nsresult: "0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/DownloadLastDir.jsm :: DownloadLastDir.prototype.getFileAsync/<.handleCompletion :: line 166"  data: no]1 ContentPrefUtils.jsm:50:0

(thats the same as in the above examples..)
and i just checked - it is the same behavior in SafeMode!

sunny greetings
stefan
Diane Vigil

Post by Diane Vigil »

Ah, okay. It's time to wait for the pros to arrive, then. :)
therube

Post by therube »

about:config, set the Filter to 'C:' (assuming you didn't have other drives where saved things to, otherwise do the same for E: or whatever).

That would be one place to start looking.

Otherwise, thinking Data Manager (or FF equivalent) would be the place to look.
I see in there, 'browser.upload.lastDir' & suppose there might be a 'browser.download.lastDir' for some?
(Unless that happens to be stored elsewhere, or even for particular mime types?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
s-light

Post by s-light »

hi therube,

i have done the about:config with filter variant (- i searched for C: in the pref.js - this tip was given by one mozilla-support guy) - and i only had a C drive..
i had included the global 'browser.download.lastDir: /home/stefan/Downloads ' from the about:config. that is set to a working path.
what do you mean with Data Manager?
as i mentioned - i think the per web side 'DownloadLastDir' are stored in someway in the places.sqllite

so the question is - how to edit this file / or is there a hidden userinterface in Firefox for this?

sunny greetings
stefan
therube

Re: [Linux]Firefox does not open the Save Dialog for a Downl

Post by therube »

> Data Manager?

Looks like the closet thing in FF is about:permissions.
Not sure if anything in that will have wanted information or not?

place.sqlite, essentially a black box, unless some interface to it has been built.
Some built in to FF. Some possibly with an extension? Otherwise there are (GUI) sqlite "editors" (or always the command-line, SQLite.)

(Not much here, Sharing a profile between Windows and Linux.)
Last edited by therube on May 26th, 2015, 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Is the Download.deb from an extension?
I don't see this in Ubuntu or Linux MInt.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
s-light

Post by s-light »

Hi :-)

@therube thanks! i did not know about the about:permissions..
i will have a look for an editor.. and will you let know how it is going on..
(can take some time - have to do some other things first..)

@Grumpus i don't think i have a addon that does something..
but i have looked in firebug net panel:RequestHeader User-Agent: "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0" so i think the website finds the 'Ubuntu' and changes the link to pointing to the .deb.
i have not installed firefox - but with the default installation there comes the 'Ubuntu-Addon' - so eventually this addon changes the User-Agent? - i don't know.

thanks so far -
sunny greetings
stefan
gdot179

Post by gdot179 »

Well, I had no problem with downloading .deb atom after being asked where and directing it to /home and extracting.

And this is with NoScript blocking everything it is capable of which was a surprise.

Unfortunately I then learned it is Gnome based and not my KDE and too much trouble to get the required dependencies, so it was dispatched just as quickly as it was acquired.

Every time I see someone whining about trying a new profile for troubleshooting I wonder if they should even have a computer.

We're talking a few seconds here people to acquire, check something and then get rid of it if not needed.

Sheesh!

P.S - Debian is now up to 5 revisions on 38.0.1, now 38.0.1-5. I can keep up with Mozilla but can they.
A proud user of Mozilla Python's Flying Circus software!
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Try renaming content-prefs.sqlite.

Also, it was really not a good idea to transfer an entire profile onto a different machine/OS. This is just the first thing you've discovered broken but there are likely other corrupted files or problems lurking. In the future, try to follow the guidelines in this article:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
therube

Post by therube »

content-prefs.sqlite

Ah, so that's where it is.
kmike

Post by kmike »

FYI I just stumbled upon this problem (can't download anything when set to ask for a download dir) after migrating a Firefox profile from Linux to Windows using the guide above. It suggests copying content-prefs.sqlite and it's the source of the problem.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Then the article needs to be changed.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
kreemoweet

Post by kreemoweet »

The article does not mention anything at all about cross-platform migration. Probably because the author assumed that anyone likely to be doing such a thing would be fully aware that all filesystem references
and application references would be completely broken. Myself, I'd create a new FF profile and move any necessary non-broken stuff to the new profile.