Whose password manager is this?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Flycaster

Whose password manager is this?

Post by Flycaster »

Lately, when a site asks for its password (I use Lastpass and Keepass), I am also getting a drop down prompt asking if I want to save the PW. I don't recognize where this drop down is coming from. Also, I have run numerous virus/malware scans with negative results. Here's full screen capture with the drop down in the top middle...

Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
JayhawksRock

Re: Whose password manager is this?

Post by JayhawksRock »

That looks like the native Firefox password prompt... Did you tell Last Pass to disable the Firefox function in the Last Pass settings ? Dont know if Keypass has the same setting. FWIW, you may be playing with fire by having all of them active. Hope you have that stuff backed up somewhere external from Firefox
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
James

Post by James »

You appear to be using the third-party complete Theme Noia Fox and not the default theme. It seems to be in the style of the Theme. If it were fake or from website it would like look different.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

JayhawksRock wrote:That looks like the native Firefox password prompt... Did you tell Last Pass to disable the Firefox function in the Last Pass settings ? Dont know if Keepass has the same setting. FWIW, you may be playing with fire by having all of them active. Hope you have that stuff backed up somewhere external from Firefox

You are correct in that I never had seen (rather never thought of or looked for) that one needed to disable FF PW mgr. But, interestingly, the FF mgr just showed up only within the last month. give or take a week or two. Is it something new as I've been using the third party PW mgrs for a long time?

I checked FF Security and the Remember PWs and Use master PW check boxes were blank...never selected. I couldn't find any place within Lastpass that would allow for turning off FF PW mgr. BTW, I do note that FF does have many PWs in its "vault," although most of them are a couple of years old. But, still, why was FF asking to save PWs when I never checked its save PW boxes? Could you help me here?

Each PW mgr has a master PW and each mgr is fully back-up every month. Please explain where the fire could be.
Last edited by Flycaster on June 26th, 2015, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

There might not be any fire at all. However, using two utilities for a single activity can cause problems with utilities interfering with each other. This might be an example of this since I haven't seen anyone else with this problem. You might want to disable one and see if the problem goes away.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

James wrote:You appear to be using the third-party complete Theme Noia Fox and not the default theme. It seems to be in the style of the Theme. If it were fake or from website it would like look different.

Correct, I am using Noia Fox, and have been for many years. Really don't think that it is fake. Nonetheless, where is this unwanted prompt coming from and how do I stop it? BTW, I do note that FF does have many PWs in its "vault," although most of them are a couple of years old. But, still, why was FF asking to save PWs when I never checked its save PW boxes?
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

LoudNoise wrote:There might not be any fire at all. However, using two utilities for a single activity can cause problems with utilities interfering with each other. This might be an example of this since I haven't seen anyone else with this problem. You might want to disable one and see if the problem goes away.

A reasonable suggestion, but as both LastPass and Keepass have been co-existing for a few years (and haven't been recently updated) and the unwanted password mgr drop-down has only been appearing within the last month or so, I don't think they are causing this problem. In actuality, I use Lastpass as the "active" PW mgr and Keepass as an "inactive" back-up storage for my PWs.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

That doesn't mean that something in Lastpass or Keepass hasn't changed recently. I would doubt that either tests against one another.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Just noticed this thread. Few things:

First, LastPass Hacked, Change Your Master Password Now

Second. Whose password manager is this? It is the native FF password manger using the Theme Noia Fox.

Last, JayhawksRock is correct about the fire. :lildevil:

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

RobertJ wrote:.
Just noticed this thread. Few things:

First, LastPass Hacked, Change Your Master Password Now

Second. Whose password manager is this? It is the native FF password manger using the Theme Noia Fox.

Last, JayhawksRock is correct about the fire. :lildevil:

Master PW already changed...but thanks.

Any idea how I can stop FF pw mgr. As stated earlier, I have NOT checked the security boxes that enable it.
Last edited by Flycaster on June 27th, 2015, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Best guess would be to type about:config in the address bar and look at the stuff that pops up when you filter for password. You might also want to visit the support forums for both managers to see if there are any other reports. If nothing else, there will be more password manager/firefox users there than here.
Post wrangler
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

LoudNoise wrote:Best guess would be to type about:config in the address bar and look at the stuff that pops up when you filter for password. You might also want to visit the support forums for both managers to see if there are any other reports. If nothing else, there will be more password manager/firefox users there than here.

Tried the about:config password approach, but really don't understand what was generated. So, here it is:

Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

Yep, it certainly was FF's pw mgr. Even though I never checked the boxes to activate the mgr, it seemed to activate itself again as the unwanted prompt is reappearing. But, this time, the activation box is checked (I never did it, though). So, I unchecked it and we'll see if I still get the prompt. Thanks all for your help.