What does "share this image" do? Sounds . . . dangerous

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
makaiguy

Re: What does "share this image" do? Sounds . . . dangerous

Post by makaiguy »

I'd guess that button placed a call to your operating system to open your default email program so you could email the image, or maybe just a link to it, to whomever you wanted to receive it. If the email never loaded, maybe your system doesn't have a default email program specified.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
zorro6204

Post by zorro6204 »

> or to some temp file in your Firefox profile.

That would be one danger, if there was something you didn't want anyone else to see. Because even though that temp file would go away, it could still be sitting on the hard disk with the front character removed.

> Did you ever look under Tools > Add-ons > Services and see if anything is listed there?

It says I don't have anything of that type.

> And is true that absolutely nothing happened when you clicked "share..."? No other window opened?

No, nothing happened.

> If the email never loaded, maybe your system doesn't have a default email program specified.

Apparently it does, because when I accidentally clicked on the "send this image . . ." stupid Outlook would pop up. Anyway, the only option that appears now is "save" thanks to that lovely add-on . . . except for a couple little Menu Wizard icons. Now I need an add-on to remove those? I guess I can deal . . .
Mo_D

Post by Mo_D »

Safe mode didn't make it go away for me, but apparently something different is causing your issue. Did you ever try safe mode?

Help > Restart with add-ons disabled

To re-enable add-ons, just restart.
zorro6204

Post by zorro6204 »

> Did you ever try safe mode

No, I like my add ons, they do good stuff. They're not responsible for the "share image" menu option, they got rid of it.
zorro6204

Post by zorro6204 »

> Did you ever try safe mode

No, I like my add ons, they do good stuff. They're not responsible for the "share image" menu option, they got rid of it.
harl windwolf

Post by harl windwolf »

This "bug" is still present. (in Nightly 55)
Even after removing those "services" (which seem just like glorified bookmarks to me) and disabling the corresponding "system" add-ons, that context menu entry remains visible.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

This thread died two years ago and involved long obsolete versions of the program. If you are still seeking support on the topic, please create a new topic and provide details of the issue and what you have tried thus far.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts.