Firefox 1.0.6-Installation Guidelines & Common Questions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bradiop

Firefox 1.0.6

Post by bradiop »

Just installed 1.0.6 and update for Roboform. I deleted 1.0.4 but not profiles. Everything seems to be working great.
thanks,
brad
naddude

Post by naddude »

is it necessary to do a clean install when updating firefox (ie from 1.04to 1.06) or can I just install over top of older version?
Cheers

Post by Guest »

You can, although backing up your profile is recommended

Post by Guest »

I am trying to install fx 1.0.6 on a mac w/ OS 10.3.9. I am new to fx. After it downloads, I have a fx "volume" icon and a fx 1.0.6.dmg icon on my desktop. Trying to follow the 2 sets of install directions I've found (one in support that talks specifically about OS and the other in "getting started") nothing quite matches up w/ these 2 icons and how fx behaves. I can aparently browse w/ fx, but when I go to File menu>Import to import all my IE stuff, I get a dialog box that says "import favorites, etc. from:" and there's nothing listed, so I can't import anything. I have IE and mac's safari browsers and they work fine.
I have re-downloaded several times now, have tried following the conflicting instructions for installing, and I think I've just copied fx to my harddrive, not actually installed anything--it just put it there instantly, didn't ask me to agree to any licensing agreements or any questions/registration.
Part of instructions say to double click the .dmg icon and it will open fx in finder--when I do that, it blinks twice and nothing happens. I have dragged it to my HD and then there's instantly a fx icon there I can click and open fx w/.
Any advice and help is greatly appreciated!!

Post by Guest »

I tried It, went back to 1.0.4 ....
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

naddude wrote:is it necessary to do a clean install when updating firefox (ie from 1.04to 1.06) or can I just install over top of older version?
Cheers
All you should need to do is download and install the latest versions.

You shouldn't need to uninstall the old versions first, and your settings should not be affected.

Although, it is always wise to back up your profile, just in case.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
ROKInfidel

Post by ROKInfidel »

I upgraded from 1.05 to 1.06. I got a message telling me the program was not allowed to close, so "Please restart". I rebooted three times, but I couldn't continued to get the same menu. I unistalled , and reinstalled 1.02. I got the same message. I rebooted twice. Still. I'm now using IE to post this, and I'm really pissed off, because the pop-ups are flying. I was laso doing something. I've never had an installation problem, with nightly builds or upgrades. What do I do before these pop-ups drive me insane?
John in NZ

Downloading, but getting excel spreadsheet

Post by John in NZ »

I tried to download the latest version of Firefox 1.0.6 (I don't have it on my system at all) on to my MAC and all I got was an excel spreadsheet with a whole lot of goobledeegook. What did I do wrong?

Post by Guest »

I just upgraded to 1.0.6 a few minutes ago & it disabled my extensions! How can I re-enable them or do I just have to reinstall them? (I made a backup of the FF folder, can I just get them out of there?
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

ROKInfidel wrote:I upgraded from 1.05 to 1.06. I got a message telling me the program was not allowed to close, so "Please restart"
Are you referring to the "Program must terminate to allow a previous installation to continue" message?
Thats what happens if you cancel the update before it finishes. Go to the program installation folder 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox' and delete the file 'xpicleanup.dat'.

Anonymous wrote:I just upgraded to 1.0.6 a few minutes ago & it disabled my extensions! How can I re-enable them or do I just have to reinstall them? (I made a backup of the FF folder, can I just get them out of there?
Right-click on all of them and select 'Disable'. Then restart Firefox.
Then, right-click on all of them and select 'Enable'. Then restart Firefox.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
ewels

Post by ewels »

Also having troubles on Windows XP - everything installed fine, it's copied across all my old settings etc fine, but since upgrading my 'Real Alternative' Real player is no longer functioning and many online forms seem to be giving grief... (at least, the forms break with Firefox but work fine with Internet Explorer now).
ROKInfidel

Post by ROKInfidel »

Thank you, Vectorspace!

I've had so much luck with M. FF., I forgot my login for this site!

But, I'll keep Mozilla now just in case.
chiefbutz

Post by chiefbutz »

Last night I upgraded to Firefox 1.0.6 from 1.0.5. I have reconfigured my firewall and everything, and I still can't connect to the internet! It is lookign like i will be downgrading back to FF 1.0.5, how do i do that?
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Try disabling your Firewall first. If you can then access the net, then the Firewall is still your problem.
Bfu

Post by Bfu »

Ok i had v1.0.4 for a while now and i accidentally deleted it this morning, and now i am getting 1.0.6 but whenevr i download it or Thunderbird it says the are Microsoft Excel files and they open and are jibberirsh in my excel program. So, i was wondering if there was anywhere i could just get 1.0.4 back because that works better for me.