Firefox 1.0.6-Installation Guidelines & Common Questions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ace Of Base

Post by Ace Of Base »

angie82 wrote:I have firefox 1.0.4 the red arrows appears (about critical updates). When I clicked, it showed up the window that checks for update. It took more time than it used too.. then it showed the window which says about the following new updates, however it was blank! And it had the option to install the invisible updates...

Same here

Post by Guest »

I have firefox 1.0.4 the red arrows appears (about critical updates). When I clicked, it showed up the window that checks for update. It took more time than it used too.. then it showed the window which says about the following new updates, however it was blank! And it had the option to install the invisible updates...

Go to Tools then Options. Choose Advanced then go to Software Update. Remove ticks from Firefox and My Extensions And Themes then click OK. Put the ticks back again and click OK again. This should fix the problem.
Catalina Eddie

How do I make Firefox my default browser?

Post by Catalina Eddie »

How do I make Firefox my default browser? Everytime I start Netzero it turns on IE automatically. I don't need all those popups n'spyware. I'd be just as happy to have IE gone permanently, but W98 gives a lot of resistance when I try to remove it, and I'm thinking maybe I might need it for some reason someday. So how do I get my computer to just ignore IE and fire up Firefox?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:How do I make Firefox my default browser? Everytime I start Netzero it turns on IE automatically. I don't need all those popups n'spyware. I'd be just as happy to have IE gone permanently, but W98 gives a lot of resistance when I try to remove it, and I'm thinking maybe I might need it for some reason someday. So how do I get my computer to just ignore IE and fire up Firefox?

Tools->Options->General:
Enable checkbox: "Default Browser: Firefox should check to see if its the default browser when starting"
shanakay16

fx on MacOS

Post by shanakay16 »

Anonymous wrote:I am trying to install fx 1.0.6 on a mac w/ OS 10.3.9. I am new to fx. After it downloads, I have a fx "volume" icon and a fx 1.0.6.dmg icon on my desktop. Trying to follow the 2 sets of install directions I've found (one in support that talks specifically about OS and the other in "getting started") nothing quite matches up w/ these 2 icons and how fx behaves. I can aparently browse w/ fx, but when I go to File menu>Import to import all my IE stuff, I get a dialog box that says "import favorites, etc. from:" and there's nothing listed, so I can't import anything. I have IE and mac's safari browsers and they work fine.
I have re-downloaded several times now, have tried following the conflicting instructions for installing, and I think I've just copied fx to my harddrive, not actually installed anything--it just put it there instantly, didn't ask me to agree to any licensing agreements or any questions/registration.
Part of instructions say to double click the .dmg icon and it will open fx in finder--when I do that, it blinks twice and nothing happens. I have dragged it to my HD and then there's instantly a fx icon there I can click and open fx w/.
Any advice and help is greatly appreciated!!

Ditto all of the above on OS 10.3.5 - help!!! My dau. downloaded fx & it loaded pages way faster than Safari or IE (we can't get DSL yet), so I gave it a shot. She doesn't do much w/ bookmarks, but I have a ton in Safari & I refuse to copy them all manually. I also tried to copy the app to my apps folder & get it off my desktop, but it stays in both places.

Post by Guest »

Here's what seems to be a new one ... I download the installer (Firefox Setup 1.0.6.exe fom the home page). When I run it, it tells me it's installing Netscape 7.2. I thought this could be just a glitch, but the installer has various problems (text not appearing, etc) and then it crashes.

Anyone got any ideas?
graham.tapper

Post by graham.tapper »

I am trying to upgrade Firefox to the latest release on top of Fedora Core 4. The installer tells me it can't find libstdc++.so.5. In /usr/bin I have found libstdc++.so.6.0.4. How do I get Firefox installer to use libstdc++.so.6.0.4 or does it actually need libstdc++.so.5 and if so, where do I get a copy?
Andy341

Post by Andy341 »

I just upgraded from 1.0.5 to 1.0.6 via the integrated update function 2 days ago and everything went fine.

Now I had to reinstall my system and can't manage to apply the old profile (xp home, fresh install, nothing else).

I tried like in FAQ (editing the path to my profile in profiles.ini file in %appdata%), I also used the profile manager to make a new profile and copy full contents of my old profile, then I tried to just copy all files of my old profile in the default profile that was created automatically. none of these work. FF is just blank, bookmark toolbar is empty, menus don't open, search bar doesn't work etc.

it works if I copy parts of the old profile like bookmarks.html + .bak, key3.db etc but I need my full profile with the extensions and their data. any ideas someone?

same problems appear in Thunderbird btw! => the whole window is blank
this has been the situation in all previous upgrades...
polly88888

Post by polly88888 »

I installed 1.0.6 this morning over the top of 1.0.5.
Now when I run Firefox, it won't connect to any site. Norton Firewall tells me "firefox.exe is trying to access the internet" and I select "permit always", but it still doesn't connect.
Also, manually configuring it in Norton Firewall to "permit always" doesn't make a difference. Nor does temporarily disabling the firewall.

Another curious thing is that now I have several firefox.exe processes running that I cannot end by "end process", and I cannot switch off my computer except by turning off the power :/

I don't have any extensions, and I have backed up my profile.

It seems to behaving like a "bad install" but I did check that nothing else was running when I installed it and have also tried uninstalling and re-installing.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful!

Thx, Polly
Old enrgy21

Post by Old enrgy21 »

Polly, do the clean install procedure. Make sure you uninstall every instance of fx in your add/remove programs.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=294709

Sounds like you know about Norton but just in case see the threads about NIS here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=258042
Last edited by Old enrgy21 on July 26th, 2005, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

I just upgraded to Firefox 1.06 on Windows XP and it disabled all my extensions. Ho do I reenable them?

Thanks,

Mike Butler
Andy341

Post by Andy341 »

ron7377 wrote:Uninstall every instance of fx in your add/remove programs. Do the clean install procedure
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=294709

Sounds like you know about Norton but just in case see the threads about NIS here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=258042

I did exactly as written in point 6: "copy key settings back from your prior profiles". So it works when I copy parts of my profile (it's easy to guess for some files) but I always have a hard time restoring my full profile (in both firefox and thunderbird).

could this be an issue with the 'chrome' folder or anything?

also, it doesn't work as written in the FAQ (editing profiles.ini)
Old enrgy21

Post by Old enrgy21 »

Mike, start fx in safe mode. You may have a problem extension
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/ ... oot-addons
See also: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox ... extensions
orealius

Post by orealius »

This all sounds like a friggin' mess. I'm afraid to upgrade anything from 1.0.4! The Firefox folks ought to issue an alert, and develop a truly bug-free upgrade process. We didn't switch from IE for these headaches!

Marcus
EOBeav

Post by EOBeav »

Hey everybody, check out Mozilla's "Known issues" section to see if your problem lies therein:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox ... tml#issues
<a href="http://www.anotherstorm.com">AnotherStorm, the personal weblog of Rick Scheibner.</a>