Firefox 1.0.6-Installation Guidelines & Common Questions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Chiefbutz

Post by Chiefbutz »

Ok well, I disabled it load up ff and it worked. Then i enabled it and tried to lod it again, i think it only showed me the cached page. I have my firewall setup like it is supposed ot be in this topic: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... highlight=
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

If you find that Firefox tends to load from the cache instead of downloading, try this:

Type about:config into the address bar, find the preference browser.cache.check_doc_frequency and set it to 1.
Normally, Firefox will continue to use a cached file and only check for a new one 'When Appropriate' (whatever that means). Changing this setting to 1 will mean that Firefox will always check for a new verison before using the cached version.

If that doesn't work, then I don't know. I don't use NIS so I can't help you. I would recommend you post in the NIS guide thread, saying that you followed the guide but still can't get Firefox to access the net unless NIS is disabled.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Quick Question:

I currently have FF and Thunderbird 1.0.4 and both are running fine. Do I need to upgrade to 1.0.6 for both? And if I do, do I need to uninstall them first or can I just upgrade by downloading the installer and going from there? (I ask because on the "known issues" page I found the following--"Prior to installing Firefox 1.0.6, please ensure that the directory you've chosen to install into is clean and doesn't contain any previous Firefox installations"--and the directory the installer picks is the same one that my current version of FF is in.)

Thanks for the help.
Hi Ivanm:

No you don't need to unistall previous version. It is safe to unload on top of your present version. If you read several messages from this forum you will see that many users are taking this approach without a hitch. I feel it's better to have the latest version of both programs to ensure that future plug-ins, themes, etc. will be compatible.

Regards,

Omar.-

Post by Guest »

I was using 1.0.4 without problems. I have just upgraded to and installed 1.0.6, but now I get a time out whenever i try to connect. My Sygate Firewall is configured to allow 1.0.6, and IE is working fine. Therefore I know it's not a DNS issue, and I know it's not a firewall issue, as I have disabled that, and I still get constant time-outs. Any other suggestions?

Post by Guest »

as above. Save mode times out as well.
montymagpie

timed out every time

Post by montymagpie »

I also have the same problem. 1.0.6 won't connect in either safe mode or full. Have also gone back to 1.0.4 and I have the same problem with that. I have disabled my firewall just incase (which I know is properly configured for 1.0.6). DNS is working fine on IE6, so I know it's not an ISP issue. It must be something else. Please help.
orealius

Upgrade to FF 1.0.6 from 1.0.4

Post by orealius »

Q: Do I need to uninstall the older version first? There seems to be some confusion about this.

Also, how many extensions am I likelly to lose......ballpark figure.

Thanks,

Marcus
montymagpie

Post by montymagpie »

According to the moderators, you should be able to install over your exsisting version.

The only extentions i have read that are having issues are 'No-Script' and 'Walnut theme'. I use both, and both are starting fine in 1.0.6. My problme is FF now times out in all versions!
Marcus M Monaghan

Post by Guest »

I upgraded to 1.0.6 and now, I have lost all of my extensions as well as all of my bookmarks...where did they go?!?!?
montymagpie

Post by montymagpie »

Anonymous wrote:I upgraded to 1.0.6 and now, I have lost all of my extensions as well as all of my bookmarks...where did they go?!?!?
It seems like 1.0.6 has not registered your exsisting profile. Did you uninstall your old version before installing 1.0.6?
If not, you should still have your profile just need to select it.
Marcus M Monaghan

Post by Guest »

I didnt uninstal...and , it appears to be using my profile

Post by Guest »

Is anyone else having a problem with tabs? I can only open a new blank tab; when I right-click to open one from a link, nothing happens.
subhendu

Post by subhendu »

Hi...

After I installed 1.0.6 javascript window.open() not working. It was okay with 1.0.5.
Please help...

Subhendu
subhendu

Post by subhendu »

Hi again...

In fact, I find now that 1.0.6 doesn't allow to open a new window at all -- neither from file menu, nor any other ways.

Please help.

Subhendu

Post by Guest »

TIP: I updated, shut down and still had the critical update going on starting a fresh instance of FF, first time I can recall this happening. Clicking this a second time got "No Updates Found" popup. Clicking finish then removed the lingering icon.