Firefox 1.0.6-Installation Guidelines & Common Questions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
cpuklutz

Multiple icon in MAC dock

Post by cpuklutz »

Using MAC O/S 10.3.9; had been using Firefox just fine; then downloaded 1.0.6 and all kinds of problems:

After launching 1.0.6 and ready to exit; select "Keep In Dock" option - this works; BUT, then on my next relaunch, a second, unwanted Firefox icon appears in my dock; gets activated; and puts a Firefox "disk image (.dmg)" on my desktop - now upon exit, I have to throw away one of the icons in "dock" PLUS eject the disk image - all of a sudden; using Firefox is a major pain.

Also, hype says to add search engine to toolbar; pull down search engine tab to "add engines" and all's that happens is another window, with more hype, and when I select "download plug-in" for intended additional search engine, download window pops up; says it's downloading; BUT can never find it, and search choices remain unaffected.

HELP!
Old enrgy21

Post by Old enrgy21 »

Charles Seiple

Firefox startup

Post by Charles Seiple »

Firefox was recommended to me. I downloaded from web. Start page was Google. Worked great for a few days, then got msg. Cannot find start Mozilla. So, purchased Manual and CD. Reinstalled from CD. Does not load. Went to Options, said start with Google - get msg. cannot find Mozilla .org. Any help available? Get no help from FAQ or articles.
C. R. Seiple
Old enrgy21

Post by Old enrgy21 »

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=258042
The following is from the above thread -

"Turn off the IPv6.
type about:config in the Navbar/address bar and hit Enter then look for
network.dns.disableIPv6 - right-click and toggle to true
Restart Firefox"

The solution might be this or something else in the above thread but you might not recognize it. That's why I've asked for more info.

Just so I'm very clear - nothing loads now - not even google, right?

Please provide more info about your system:
Machine?
XP SP2, Win98SE, Linux...?
Firefox version is 1.0.6?
Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant?
Your knowledge/skill level with computers?
What other browser(s) are on your system?
Have there been any other browsers on your system that have been uninstalled?
What firewall, other applications and type of connection?
(from http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=260935)

I've had no problems (6 versions) due to Fx and have done what I can to help others. Since you're new to Fx, I'm thinking it'll be easier to find the solution with the info.
Fuu

Post by Fuu »

I had Firefox before but because of space I had to delete it to clean up my computer a bit.
I now can't download the program again! Everytime I try I get this error:
Error Occured During Installation-Firefox Browser 5.
When I've tried to download Mozilla I got the same error, and while trying to download the Beta of Firefox [1.5] it said "Error Occured During Installation-en-US-Language pack: 5.

I've checked up and down the site and forums and I don't believe I've seen this problem anywhere else.
Help?!
Old enrgy21

Post by Old enrgy21 »

On what system, what method did you use to "delete," what version did you uninstall, did it run perfectly before you uninstalled and how many versions have you had?
Fuu

Post by Fuu »

I'm on Windows XP, I think I just deleted the folder with the files in it , I can't remember which one I had installed, it was about a year ago but I am sure it was before 1.0.3, it ran perfectly before it was uninstalled and I only had that one version.
Old enrgy21

Post by Old enrgy21 »

Fuu wrote:I'm on Windows XP, I think I just deleted the folder with the files in it , I can't remember which one I had installed, it was about a year ago but I am sure it was before 1.0.3, it ran perfectly before it was uninstalled and I only had that one version.

What's your situation now? Why not use 1.0.6 instead of the beta 1.5. You need to be experienced in Fx - beta always has some bugs.
Fuu

Post by Fuu »

I've downloaded all of them, it just won't work on my computer. It says there is a problem with installing it.
Old enrgy21

Post by Old enrgy21 »

Are there any Mozilla products in add/remove programs?
MacOS

Post by MacOS »

When I download firefox for the mac all I get is a file named

mozilla.download.org

and I have no idea what to do with this file. I tried zip, stuffit, compress,
gzip, nothing seems to work. What do I do with this 8.5 mega file?

Thanks
Old enrgy21

Post by Old enrgy21 »

Have you reviewed this info? "Mac OS X
Once you have downloaded the Firefox 1.0.7.dmg file, double click the Firefox Disk Image to open it in Finder..."
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox ... 1.0.7.html
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox ... es/#issues
mtz1of4

Post by mtz1of4 »

Fuu,

1.does your system have the minimum requirements for Firefox? http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox ... quirements
2. Are you installing in an Admin account?
3. Are there any Mozilla programs in your Add/Remove list?
4. Open your OS temporary directory (Windows 98/ME: Start -> Run -> Type C:\Windows\Temp -> OK, Windows 2000/XP: Start -> Run -> Type %temp% -> OK) and delete all files and folders contained therein.
5. Do you still have a Mozilla folder in the Program Files directory?
6. Have you deleted your Profile Folder yet? If not, do it. Your profile folder is located here.
C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\<Profile name>\********.slt\ If you cannot find your profile folder: Windows 2000 and XP sometimes hide the profile folders because "Application Data" is a hidden folder. In Explorer (i.e. double-click My Computer) click: Tools → Folder Options → View (tab) → Show Hidden files and folders.
7. Exactly what is the error message you get?
Have you followed the directions here?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diag ... Firefox%29 or Here
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 15&start=0

Post by Guest »

From a newbie to Mandrake: Downloaded Firefox 1.0.7 today, ran the install (no problems) but I can't seem to be able to find it. I want to put it in my menu with the Konquer. Help!

Post by Guest »

Hi everyone:

I'm just looking into Firefox, and thought I'd check out this website to find out the various intricacies involved with Firefox.

I noticed Guest's lengthy response to NegativeZero above, where s/he goes on about AOL. There's no question in my mind that AOL should be removed, and AOL should be dropped as an ISP.

When removing software, remember that you can also use regedit to edit the Windows registry. Do a search for AOL, and America Online, and you'll be surprised how many occurances you'll find. Deleting these entries may help Windows be quicker to load. Back up the registry first.

Others on this forum will caution you that changes to the registry may corrupt Windows, and that is a valid concern. However, I've removed other programs before, then gone thru the registry and removed references to them without harm to the operating system. However, be careful in this endeavor.

Thought this might be helpful