I cannot ask thousands of websites to stop using Flash

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jcobban

I cannot ask thousands of websites to stop using Flash

Post by jcobban »

I cannot ask thousands of websites that are used by millions of people all around the world to stop using Flash just because Firefox doesn't like it. I have applied EVERY security fix to the latest available version of the Flash plugin as they are made available through the Ubuntu repos. There is no longer a Firefox plugin available through the Adobe site. How am I supposed to utilize all of those thousands of sites if there is no working relatively safe version of the Flash plugin for Firefox? I have asked several of my favorite sites, for example the www.familysearch.org site run by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, to switch to using HTML5, pointing out that even Adobe recommends that they stop using Flash, but all they will say is "Thank you for your input." This is ridiculous. These are all business that have better things to do than deal with the refusal of Mozilla to support the required interfaces to run the current Flash plugin.
JayhawksRock

Re: I cannot ask thousands of websites to stop using Flash

Post by JayhawksRock »

Where does www.familysearch.org use Flash... there is none on the page link you posted
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

JayhawksRock wrote:Where does http://www.familysearch.org use Flash... there is none on the page link you posted

That's question #1.

Question #2 -- Why are you griping about Firefox when the problem stems from the Flash plug-in provided by Adobe and not by Mozilla?
Question #3 -- What version of Flash do you currently have running in Firefox? Check that under Tools->Addons->Plugins.
James

Post by James »

jcobban wrote:I cannot ask thousands of websites that are used by millions of people all around the world to stop using Flash just because Firefox doesn't like it. I have applied EVERY security fix to the latest available version of the Flash plugin as they are made available through the Ubuntu repos. There is no longer a Firefox plugin available through the Adobe site. How am I supposed to utilize all of those thousands of sites if there is no working relatively safe version of the Flash plugin for Firefox?

By using the latest Flash Player 11.2.202.491 (a 9, not a 8) as the previous version which is 11.2.202.481 is soft blocked.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/security.html

If you are getting the click to play on Flash, you have are either still using one of the previous versions or have two or more versions and Firefox is making use of a older one.

Type about:plugins in Location (address) bar to see what version Firefox is making use of and where it is located.
evanfardreamer

Post by evanfardreamer »

Uh, am I missing something? My version is Version: 18.0.0.209 which came straight from the distro link there.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Yep you are missing the user agent
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/39.0
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

evanfardreamer wrote:Uh, am I missing something? My version is Version: 18.0.0.209 which came straight from the distro link there.

No idea what that version number refers to.

But I'm on Linux using SeaMonkey and Flash Player 11.2.202.491 and Flash is fine on all sites. Firefox should be the same.

Get Flash Player direct from Adobe, as the repositories are always behind, I've found.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

evanfardreamer wrote:Uh, am I missing something? My version is Version: 18.0.0.209 which came straight from the distro link there.

Yeah... that's the correct one for Windows ... are you having problems or just commenting?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
James

Post by James »

dfoulkes wrote:

Yeah... that's the correct one for Windows ... are you having problems or just commenting?

You missed the mention of Ubuntu and the useragent used to post with?

Adobe does not provide a plugin based version of Flash player 18 branch for Linux though they do for Pepper flash for Chrome. There is a wrapper plugin you can use Pepper version with Firefox/SeaMonkey but it is not perfect.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I was responding to evanfardreamer who is on Windows... so all I was saying was that he/she was using the correct version on that system...
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

dfoulkes wrote:

I was responding to evanfardreamer who is on Windows... so all I was saying was that he/she was using the correct version on that system...

Yeah, yeah, whatever, you missed the mention.

:P
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
evanfardreamer

Post by evanfardreamer »

No, I think he meant I missed the mention. I'm still new to the forums - and not terribly experienced with non-windows OS's. But I've also had Flash issues, or maybe something else masquerading as Flash, so like a good little lurker monkey I also check the other threads with similar problems :)

Sorry to have caused the confusion, though, folks.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

For the most part you can set flash to "Never Activate" an loose nothing more than the sort of ads that are worth missing. If you run into something that you really want to see that requires Flash it will let know. At that point, simply allow Flash.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
James

Post by James »

dfoulkes wrote:

I was responding to evanfardreamer ;)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

There is a cute bunny moment to be had here.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."