Firefox hangs while opening Tools -> Options menu

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
cjhsa

Firefox hangs while opening Tools -> Options menu

Post by cjhsa »

Hello. I have had this problem for several years and have given up on Firefox as a result. I would like to be able to use it. I have never had TortoiseCSV or any variant installed. I have deleted files, blown away ff and reinstalled, even tried some of the shell debuggers, all to no avail. This is horribly frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please - no fixes that start out as "Choose Menu/Tools - Options". That ain't gonna work.
Last edited by DanRaisch on July 28th, 2015, 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from original thread which died 4 years year ago. Original thread locked.
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox hangs while opening Tools -> Options menu

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
cjhsa

Post by cjhsa »

I have done both. No difference. As noted, this problem has been ongoing for several years. I now use Chrome, or IE if I must.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It's been happening with your installation of Firefox for years but not mine and apparently not many others. Just sayin'. As long as your happy with Chrome, that's what counts.
cjhsa

Post by cjhsa »

I'm not trying to be rude, but that doesn't seem like much of an attempt to answer my question. This issue has been all over the boards for years, and typically the solution was to remove "TortoiseCVS" or similar. I don't have that. Never did.

Here's one example:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/758736

Google "firefox hangs options".
therube

Post by therube »

Firefox

What version?

I have done both.

Then try the new, clean Profile, disable ALL Plugins, & then also start FF in Safe Mode.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
cjhsa

Post by cjhsa »

I used shellexview to disable every non-Microsoft shell extension on my laptop without success.
cjhsa

Post by cjhsa »

38.0.5. But as noted this has been going on for a long time, over many versions. And I did try clean profile/disable plugins/safe mode.
cjhsa

Post by cjhsa »

I just updated to 39.0. No change.
therube

Post by therube »

You specifically disabled Plugins, as Safe Mode does not?

And if that doesn't work, restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking & try again.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
cjhsa

Post by cjhsa »

All of my plugins/add-ons are set to "activate on request" or disabled. I hold down the Shift key and start Firefox in safe mode. Chose Options and... "not responding".
therube

Post by therube »

> Firefox hangs while opening Tools -> Options menu

All other menu items open as expected, as well as right-click context-menu items?

And you've already mentioned ShellExView - Shell Extensions Manager so you've been to Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers, so I'm out of ideas, but it sure smells like A/V or something funky like that?

Any "odd" settings in FF? Proxy? No auto-detect? (But a new Profile likely wouldn't have those set.)

And it doesn't matter if Options are opened in a tab or if you change the option to open it in a stand-alone windows?
cjhsa

Post by cjhsa »

Our site uses a third party proxy service. I can get rid of that by trying it at home, but that doesn't make any difference. But perhaps the larger issue is how do I see what firefox is actually trying to use if I cannot see the Options?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

You may be able to get the 'Old Style' Options window back by changing pref > browser.preferences.inContent < to false and restart .... may not work with all of the other interface change hacks already applied
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
sugdix28

Post by sugdix28 »

I too, have had this problem when opening Tools > options menu. I've noticed that it 'freezes'
after you set the options the initial time (I cannot even change my 'home screen' after I set it
one time).
The only 'solution'(?) I have found is to uninstall Firefox and then re-install Firefox whenever
you want/need to change the 'options'.
Incidentally this problem also exists in the Firefox variants - Cyberfox, Waterfox, Palemoon
and IceDragon (I have tried them all) - and - it seems to have started when Firefox switched
to the newer 'A ______' format a couple of versions back.