"Unresponsive Script".....

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Joe ds

"Unresponsive Script".....

Post by Joe ds »

I recently performed a clean install of windows 7; I'm prevented from restoring my old bookmarks back to firefox because I keep receiving the following message;

"A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue".

"unresponsive script" message: script:chrome://browse/content/places/editbookmarkOverlay.js:915 ( or 6733 etc)

I have thousands of bookmarks that I fear are lost forever. I backed them up to a .json file. I've read all of the support articles in the data base and tried all of the fixes; Nothing works.

Can anyone please help? Thank you.
DanRaisch

Re: "Unresponsive Script".....

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support as this is not a MozillaZine site question.

Have you tried deleting the Firefox program directory and reinstalling the application?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Joe ds wrote:I recently performed a clean install of windows 7; I'm prevented from restoring my old bookmarks back to firefox because I keep receiving the following message;

"A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue".

"unresponsive script" message: script:chrome://browse/content/places/editbookmarkOverlay.js:915 ( or 6733 etc)

I have thousands of bookmarks that I fear are lost forever. I backed them up to a .json file. I've read all of the support articles in the data base and tried all of the fixes; Nothing works.

Can anyone please help? Thank you.

Did you click on the script-message 'Continue'?

It's hard for us to make suggestions ... if we don't know what fixes were tried.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Do you get this dialog when you try to restore a JSON backup?

What is the file size of this backup and do you know how many bookmarks are in the file?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Is Firefox running or not when you are moving this stuff around/into your profile. Firefox needs to be closed to replace a file that is in use. If you are using one of the 15 bookmark backups that Firefox creates automajicly, that method is done inside Firefox with Firefox open/running,
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
dusabrive

Post by dusabrive »

Sometimes I get the option to continue; Either the entire page/browser freezes immediately or after choosing "continue" the page hangs and then freezes. Usually, I attempt to recover my back ups either from the dated restore file in the nested menu or I'll manually try to insert the .json file (that I saved onto my external hard drive) into the "Profile" folder-while Firefox is closed. However, the page freezes and the script pops up before any changes can occur. Eventually, I have to press "ALT-CONTROL-DELETE" to start all over
therube

Post by therube »

> What is the file size of this backup and do you know how many bookmarks are in the file?

?

Any change if you restart in Safe Mode?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dusabrive

Post by dusabrive »

13.4 GB ; 24,497 Bookmarks;
dusabrive

Post by dusabrive »

*************Correction********* 27.6MB
therube

Post by therube »

So it is the .json (.jsonlz4) file that is 27 MB?
If so, that's huge.

Why not just over places.sqlite itself?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dusabrive

Post by dusabrive »

This is how I finally resolved this problem.
1. Type "about:config" in the address bar
2. Type "dom.max_script_run_time"
3. Right click this entry to modify and change the value next to it from 10 to 1000
4. Now the "continue button" on the "unresponsive Script" message didn't freeze and allowed me to click it.
5. I clicked "continue" about 15-16 times (every time it re-appeared) until my bookmarks finally loaded.
6. Finally, I repeated steps 1,2 and 3 and changed the value back from 1000 to 10.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I forgot all about that setting... I changed mine to 300 years ago. 'But' I could have sworn that the message had something about time-out or something to do with 'time' ... not the 'unresponsive' part of the message... maybe they changed it or my memory of that situation is faulty... probably the latter.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!