Facebook not loading properly on Firefox 39.0.3

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Kerashi

Facebook not loading properly on Firefox 39.0.3

Post by Kerashi »

Facebook's news feed at facebook.com normally continues loading as one scrolls down. However, in Firefox 39.0.3 (and 39.0 before it) on Windows 10 it does NOT continue loading, but rather loads up to a point and then stops. This is happening on multiple computers, I have tried with a new profile, I have tried both with and without addons, and the issue persists. Other browsers such as Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge perform without issue. I would appreciate any help that could be given to help address this problem. I have uploaded a screenshot of how Firefox renders the page to http://www.senshimuyo.net/kerashi/firefox.png if that helps. The faded out portion at the bottom is where additional content should load, but doesn't.
MarkRH

Re: Facebook not loading properly on Firefox 39.0.3

Post by MarkRH »

Fine for me with FF 39.0.3 in Win 7 Pro. I can keep scrolling down and down or sometimes get a "load more stories" button.
Kerashi

Post by Kerashi »

Must be something new with FF on Windows 10, as I first noticed it after upgrading my OS.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

This is happening on multiple computers

All of those comps. are using Win10?

I read a post around here today that Firefox version 40 is supposed to take care of some Win10 issues.... and it seems that version 40 is out now... so you might want to check that out.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Kerashi

Post by Kerashi »

All 3 computers are running Windows 10. It's still happening on Firefox 40. The odd thing is it doesn't always happen at the same point when scrolling down - sometimes it will allow me to scroll down pretty far, other times I can't scroll down very much at all.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Next step would be Firefox safe-mode then... use it as-is and check out F.B.

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

...also... what Firewall/AV software do you use on all 3 comps?
Kerashi

Post by Kerashi »

Was still able to trigger the problem in Safe Mode.

As for Firewall/AV I'm using the ones built into Windows 10 for now. I previously used BitDefender, but I uninstalled it before the upgrade to Windows 10 as it was creating more problems than it was preventing.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you use the uninstall utility from BitDefender after the initial uninstall using Windows own functionality?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

... also... so far it sounds like F.B. is the only problem site... if so, you might want to clear out all cookies for that site so that it can load new ones....

.... and it would not hurt to create a test profile and use it as-is ...test F.B.
Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.
Kerashi

Post by Kerashi »

Sorry for taking so long to respond, things have been crazy the past few days.

I tried the new test profile again, same problem. It'e easy to trigger - I just hit Page Down enough times and I always run into it. If I had to make a guess, On Firefox 40 it seems to be "Transferring data from facebookexternal-a.akamaihd.net" though nothing is changing on what is displayed. It will continue doing the "transferring data" thing continuously, no matter how long it is allowed to sit for, without appearing to change anything at all.

Edit: Now instead of the continuous loading, it's acting like it's fully loaded, but obviously isn't.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Do you have anything in Firefox or in Windows apps Blocking akamaihd.net by any chance... or maybe a hosts file of some kind.. Its a CDN for Facebook and in my ABP list
https://www.facebook.com/help/community ... 0883594668
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Kerashi

Post by Kerashi »

Nothing should be blocking it, and it isn't COMPLETELY not working, which I assume it would if something were blocking. I can page through and it will load downward a few times before it stops loading.

This really is driving me crazy trying to figure it out. I've tried safe mode, a test profile, refreshing, clearing cookies and cache, all the usual steps that normally resolve these sorts of problems, and nothing seems to work. About the only thing I haven't done is uninstall plugins like Flash.
Kerashi

Post by Kerashi »

Would Facebook's use of SHA-1 certificates (due to be phased out on October 1) have anything to do with it? I downloaded the Firebug addon to see if I could pick up any errors on Facebook, and Firefox is generating a huge amount of warnings related to SHA-1 encryption. So many warnings, in fact, that it quickly climbs to a number higher than Firebug can show.
Kerashi

Post by Kerashi »

Now this is strange. Creating a new profile with no addons, running Firefox in safe mode, neither worked, but I was just now able to scroll down facebook after disabling NoScript on my main profile. No other changes between working and not working but that. Is there any reason that would make a difference when switching profiles did not? Really strange.

Guess I'll be running without NoScript for a while to see if it stays working.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Same problem again.

Edit2: Uninstalled Firefox, manually deleted my profile, reinstalled firefox. No addons. Problem still occurs.
Kerashi

Post by Kerashi »

It must be something with the way Firefox and Windows 10 are interacting. This all started immediately after the Windows 10 upgrade. Probably just going to have to wait and hope it gets fixed eventually.