files deleted

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

<b>Uh, no, the rule is, please don't add comments to bugs unless you have information that actually fixes the problem. That's not the place for lobbying. It just clogs up the bug reports and pisses off the developers.</b> Don't even add case reports there unless they add new facts.

That may be why bug 270705 got off to a rocky start. It started off with an attitude. As Joe Friday said, "Just the facts, ma'm".
Last edited by AnotherGuest. on July 31st, 2005, 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I just meant you should vote for the bug, not that you should add comments. Shoulda been clearer I guess...
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 125.0.2, Developer Edition 126.0b5, Nightly 127.0a1.

Post by Guest »

I think it will get fixed all right. 270705 is recent and it's assigned to Blake Ross, the Esteemed Creater. But there does seem to be a conflict with program design. Votes wouldn't hurt. Some of those bugs have no votes, and that one only has 6.

Post by Guest »

Bug 278230 has been marked a duplicate of 302087. Go figure.

It now appears that none of these bugs is going to be fixed except by volunteers. So feel free to take one if you can provide clean code.

I think 302087 involves less coding. It involves an almost trivial change to an existing dialog box, so it should be pretty easy to change and get checked in. It also has some official blessing. Allowing Fx to delete only its own profile files seems like a bulletproof way to fix the problem, but the bug is officially "resolved" at the moment, and it might require a bit more coding.

Post by Guest »

P.S. I should have written that 278230 was assigned to Blake Ross, not 270705. However, it may be a moot point if the bug is "resolved".
kenace0

Post by kenace0 »

do a find files/folders for ( *.bak ) and look for mozilla firefox there sould be a profile.bak
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

kenace0,
It's not the profile data we're worried about. Under some conditions, user files could be deleted, possibly resulting in severe data loss.
kenace0

Post by kenace0 »

if the man deleted his profile it may still be there as a bakup file!
if so he can recover from it
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

He didn't just delete his profile. The Profile Manager deleted his entire "My Documents" folder and all its contents. You can easily verify this bug if you like.
kenace0

Post by kenace0 »

AnotherGuest. wrote:He didn't just delete his profile. The Profile Manager deleted his entire "My Documents" folder and all its contents. You can easily verify this bug if you like.

can you let hem answer?
ajayluks

Post by ajayluks »

You haven't read this thread properly Kenace0. The user selected a custom location for their profile data (in this case 'My Documents') but didn't realise that they needed to create a special folder for it within My Documents. That meant that when they deleted that profile, Firefox wiped their entire 'My Documents'. It is a known 'bug' as has been explained. 'AnotherGuest' do know what they're talking about and if you (kenace0) did (i.e., you'd actually read the whole thread) you wouldn't have wrote your suggestion since you'd have realised it was irrelevant. :)
Last edited by ajayluks on August 24th, 2005, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Ajayluks,
I don't know what suggestion you are referring to, but as for having read this thread, I <i>wrote</i> a significant part of it. :)

Edit: Oh, you probably mean his suggestion to verify the bug. I thought verifying it would be a pretty vivid way of finding out what the bug was about. Just a mischievous suggestion. :D
Last edited by AnotherGuest. on August 24th, 2005, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenace0

Post by kenace0 »

ff makes bakup of the profile and puts theme in the same place if u did not delete the backup it is still there
ajayluks

Post by ajayluks »

AnotherGuest. wrote:Ajayluks,
I don't know what suggestion you are referring to, but as for having read this thread, I <i>wrote</i> a significant part of it. :)

Edit: Oh, you probably mean his suggestion to verify the bug. I thought verifying it would be a pretty vivid way of finding out what the bug was about. Just a mischevous suggestion. :D

I was referring tyo KENACE0 not you! :)

I was suggesting to KENACE that it was their suggestion that was wrong NOT yours. I'm sorry if you have read and misunderstood my post. LOL
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Oops. Speaking of not being able to read. :turn-l: Kind of funny, actually.
Last edited by AnotherGuest. on August 24th, 2005, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.