files deleted

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ajayluks

Post by ajayluks »

kenace0 wrote:ff makes bakup of the profile and puts theme in the same place if u did not delete the backup it is still there

Oh dear. You still don't get it - the entire directory where the user placed the profile data and its back up was wiped clean. :)
kenace0

Post by kenace0 »

ff makes backups and they are not stored in MY DOC'S!!!!!!
c:\window\application data\mozilla\profiles\defalt\???????????
ajayluks

Post by ajayluks »

You still don't get it. That is the DEFAULT location when installing but the user chose a DIFFERENT ('custom') location so that an application data file was NEVER created. Clear now? :)
kenace0

Post by kenace0 »

ff like any other good program makes backups in its owen folder i have not heard back from the person who started this
ajayluks

Post by ajayluks »

OK Kenace0, I give up 2+2 really does make 5! :)

Oops no! I've just done a test install of Fx 1.06 on my E drive and directed profile data to 'My Docs' (in a specially created folder) and lo and behold, NO back up profile data created in application data directory! :)
kenace0

Post by kenace0 »

did you do a find files/folders
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

kenace0: Firefox does not make a backup profile.
It does make a backup of bookmarks.html (called 'bookmarks.bak') in the profile folder, but that is it.

If your Firefox is creating backups then it must be through an extension.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0

Post by Guest »

Getting back to the point, is anyone interested in fixing this bug (302087)? It's supposed to be just a simple change in one dialog box, which you can do with a markup language.

If no one is interested in fixing the bug, I can't blame the Mozilla people for not wanting to.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Apparently there is some interest in fixing this bug, its gotten 13 votes (including mine). The filer of this bug has filed a related bug about the lack of warning when creating a profile in a non-default location:

Bug 305551 - No warning before creating user-specific profile directory
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=305551

I suggest voting for that one, too. I already have.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 125.0.2, Developer Edition 126.0b4, Nightly 127.0a1.

Post by Guest »

this would seem to be a good solution if the bug is addressed:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18927

It details how Fx should not outright delete files, but put them in the recycle bin or trash can (mac)

Post by Guest »

Make no mistake about it, Mozilla is not interested in fixing this bug, but they will accept a fix.

With respect to bug 18927, the trash can requires OS-specific code, and is therefore much harder to implement than a one-line warning. It is a very old bug, however.

In addition, the trash is a poor way to protect against catastrophic loss because you can never be sure it's big enough. Mine is limited to 10% of the disk. What if the bug tries to delete the entire hard drive?

Post by Guest »

BUG CONFIRMED for firefox 1.0.6!!! this is the worst $%$%$££$ nightmare i've seen in quite a while!!!

this is what happened in my case: to create a new profile, i used the commandline but at the point where i wanted to enter a backslash, i hit the enter key, because the keyboard was not US englisch but British english. this yielded to the commandline:

firefox.exe -createprofile "name d:
[..yes, it's my fault up to here... i know. to add: i'm lucky to have a backup]

what happened next, you can easily imagine: i went to the profile manager and hit 'delete profile > delete files'... after a few seconds or so i thought that the deletion took uneasily long and killed the process. until now, i found parts of my hd gone (actually only half of a very large font folder...), but i assume the profile manager would have continued happily ever after....

i dont blame the writers for this code-nightmare, i only blame me to have trusted them...
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Just another example of a bug being reported over and over again and no one seeems to bother to fix it. Uninstall should not delete files that has not been created by the software. Basic.

Post by Guest »

See also bug 234680, comment 20, "Uninstall should give the option to remove profile data". It was pointed out that allowing user to select which data to remove would automatically protect user files by removing only targeted profile files.

If you like to think big, this one might fix all profile problems, but bug 302087 is a much quicker, easier fix.. Mozilla has NO plans to fix either, however.
Aunty

Nope. Sorry there gone

Post by Aunty »

Anonymous wrote:Nope. Sorry there gone :(

So do we have to now trash our five year old computer? Nothing is able to be installed, not even Internet Explorer, nor are we able to even use Opera browser. The only way we can do anything is to use one of our Firefox profiles, then go on line without the use of our anti viral program. Can't even use spell check!