Close Tab Option on Right Click Menu Dissappeared

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
joanburkhead

Close Tab Option on Right Click Menu Dissappeared

Post by joanburkhead »

Using Firefox 42.0 on Windows 10. Several weeks ago I lost the ability to have "Close Tab" on the right click main context menu. I have tried Menu Editor, Menu Wizard and Menu Filter in an attempt to get it back, but no luck. If I right click on a tab the option is there, but I would like to be able to do this from any point on the page like I used to be able to do. Any Ideas what might have gone wrong?
LIMPET235

Re: Close Tab Option on Right Click Menu Dissappeared

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I don't have that closing options in this profile because I turned it off via Tab Mix Plus... but just tested that funciton out in my clean test profile, opened two tabs, focused on Tab1, right-clicked it and that function was there.

See what happens ...

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
joanburkhead

Post by joanburkhead »

Unfortunately, safe mode did not do the trick. After backing up my profile, I did a refresh on Firefox and that did not work either. I get all the options I should if I right click on the tab itself, but I used to get the "Close Tab" option when right clicking on the page itself. I still get the "undo closed tab" option but not the "close tab" option. Anymore ideas? Thanks for your help.
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

joanburkhead wrote:Unfortunately, safe mode did not do the trick. After backing up my profile, I did a refresh on Firefox and that did not work either. I get all the options I should if I right click on the tab itself, but I used to get the "Close Tab" option when right clicking on the page itself. I still get the "undo closed tab" option but not the "close tab" option. Anymore ideas? Thanks for your help.
Do you have Classic Theme Restorer installed? That might help you get that back, because, as, dfoulkes stated, I, too have that option, as well. Otherwise, not sure what else to try. 8-)
joanburkhead

Post by joanburkhead »

Found it! Didn't realize Tab Mix Plus had an option to adjust the context menu in addition to the tab menu. Don't know how "close tab" got unchecked here, but that fixed my issue. Not sure why Safe Mode and refresh Firefox didn't bring it back, but at least I found the problem. Thanks for the ideas.