MozillaZine

Way to make things that stick at the top scroll

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
slickrcbd

Post Posted November 17th, 2015, 8:10 am

I was trying to recall the exact wording of something Yoda said in Star Wars and used Google.
This was the first result
http://www.starwars.com/news/the-starwa ... oda-quotes

The stupid banner and menus take up more than 3/4 of my screen leaving me with a scant two inches to view the content before the bottom of the window and the taskbar.

Is there any way to disable the feature that allows elements like that to "stick" like a freeze in an Excel or Calc spreadsheet and make them scroll when I scroll the page across the board?

LIMPET235

Post Posted November 17th, 2015, 8:33 am

Hi,
Do you run Ad Block Plus?
There's an additional extension that you can use in ABP.
Element Hiding Helper which can remove certain sections of pages when needed.
I just used it on that site & was able to remove the offending top banner.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-70.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

slickrcbd

Post Posted November 17th, 2015, 9:03 am

Yes, that is a partial solution, but sometimes you need the frozen menus, and you have to do it on a site by site basis.

I was asking for something that would turn off the feature that allows for a "freeze" like that and make it scroll like the rest of the page.

I know there's such a thing for the *.wikia.com sites using Stylish, but I was wondering if it was possible to stick something in userstyle.css to do it across the board. I have little understanding of CSS, which I'm starting to think is more trouble than its worth due to the stupid margins and freezes (that I still think of as "titles" after what AppleWorks 2.x called the same feature in its spreadsheet back in the 1980's on the Apple II when I was a kid learning computers, so if I slip, bear with me).

An add-on, extension, plugin, Stylish stylesheet, or Greasemonkey script, I don't care, whatever works.

LIMPET235

Post Posted November 17th, 2015, 9:11 am

Sorry, but I can't help with css coding.
Someone will know how to remove any/all of those banners.
Have you searched the Stylish styles or Greasemonkey sites?

BTW, I only removed the wide top banner, not the fixed menu items.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-70.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

slickrcbd

Post Posted November 25th, 2015, 4:53 pm

I've figured out what I want, but I don't have sufficient knowledge of web design programming (or whatever you call the knowledge of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and PHP needed to make websites with these nuisances) , CSS, Stylish, Userchrome.css, etc to do it.
I want to replace any instance of
Code: Select all
position: fixed;

with something like absolute or static. I don't fully understand absolute enough to know which one to choose. Nor do I know how to use Userchrome.css or Stylish to do this.

Sorry, I decided that website creation was not for me back when Netscape 3.0 had JUST been released less than a month before.
HTML 2.0 was the current standard with Netscape Navigator 2.02, when I started learning a bit of HTML before I made decision, but by the time I finished learning a bit of HTML and made the decision, Netscape 3.0 had just come out. If I get something wrong, bear with me as I'm just a user, not a web developer.

therube

Post Posted November 28th, 2015, 8:20 am

Not a fix, & doesn't persist a page reload, but Nuke Anything Enhanced will "remove" that banner allowing a more "free-scrolling" window.

(You do need to 'Remove this object', three times, & there does remain a black "blob" at the top of the page, but at least scrolling & the viewable area are enhanced.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

slickrcbd

Post Posted June 7th, 2017, 8:55 pm

I finally found a solution
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/266 ... -web-pages

There is a bookmarklet and a greasemonkey script.
https://gist.github.com/zcyzcy88/909b77 ... 4b84e7a68b

Code: Select all
javascript:(function(){x=document.querySelectorAll('*');for(i=0;i<x.length;i++){elementStyle=getComputedStyle(x[i]);if(elementStyle.position=="fixed"||elementStyle.position=="sticky"){x[i].style.position="absolute";}}}())

The bookmarklet can be fired at need, the script sometimes causes problems on some sites, so you might have to toggle it on and off. Choose which works for you.

Cacked

Post Posted June 7th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Reduce width of the browser and it will disappear.

slickrcbd

Post Posted March 24th, 2020, 6:41 pm

Are there any updated tools to get rid of those annoying banners that waste 1/3 to 1/2 the screen?
The U.S. Senate has one http://www.senate.gov
and none of the things in this thread are working. It's not the only site that does the late appearing sticky banner at the top, just an example.

I'm not sure if I should have necroed this or started a new thread, but most of the tools described here still partially work, especially the "get rid of position:fixed" bookmarklet, but it doesn't work all the time anymore.

smsmith

Post Posted March 25th, 2020, 5:11 am

Simple solution would be to click the Reader View button in the address bar. Looks like a page of text. It turns off all the fancy effects and presents the page as just the text and images in the content. You can control the width, background color, text color, font face, maybe some others.

Or use View -> Enter Reader View. Or press F9.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

Return to Firefox Support