unwanted home page change

Post by bquelvog »

How can I get rid of a pop-up message that says:

Firefox Homepage Change Notification
Your homepage has been changed by another application
0 revert to my previous homepage
0 continue with the new homepage
OK
Distributed by Mindspark Interactive Network Inc International Speed Tracker Toolbar

Counter intuitively, continuing with the new home page keeps your old homepage. Reverting to my previous homepage takes me to Ask.com
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: unwanted home page change

Post by malliz »

Let me guess you have installed some "Free" software lately. You will need to get rid of that before you can sort out the homepage thing
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Here's my suggested procedure for tracking down and cleaning up bad add-ons, hijackers, and ad injectors. I know it seems long, but it's not that bad.

(1) Open the Windows Control Panel, Uninstall a Program. After the list loads, click the "Installed on" column heading to group the infections, I mean, additions, by date. This can help in smoking out undisclosed bundle items that snuck in with some software you agreed to install. Take out as much trash as possible here.

(2) Open Firefox's Add-ons page using either:

* Ctrl+Shift+a
* "3-bar" menu button (or Tools menu) > Add-ons
* in the Windows "Run" dialog, type or paste firefox.exe "about:addons" and press Enter to run it

In the left column, click Plugins. Set nonessential and unrecognized plugins to "Never Activate".

In the left column, click Extensions. Then, if in doubt, disable (or Remove, if possible) unrecognized and unwanted extensions. Bear in mind that none of these came with Firefox, they are all optional.

Often a link will appear above at least one disabled extension to restart Firefox. You can complete your work on the tab and click one of the links as the last step.

Any improvement?

(3) To check for other issues, you can supplement your regular security software with the scanning/cleaning tools such as those listed in https://support.mozilla.org/kb/troubles ... ed-malware. These on-demand scanners are free and take considerable time to run. If they finish quickly and especially if they require payment, you may have a serious infection. I suggest the specialized forums listed in the article in that case.

Success?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
The procedure posted above should remove it but if not, then MalwareBytes will do so, as per the Firefox/Mozilla Support site page.
It's free, so just install it, update it & run it.
> https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
AdwCleaner will also remove the nasty....but be careful, coz it's mucho powerful. ;)

When strange things occur, a quick Google should bring the "required fixes."
Just read the blurb on each page/suggested (the programs to run) beforehand coz there are some that will scan & detect but will not remove anything unless you purchase the program.
&...This is NOT necessary.

Oh yes. & read all of those splash screens before hitting the O.K./Install button.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
togbonna

Post by togbonna »

The culprit is right there in your message: "International Speed Tracker Toolbar". Look for that extension in your add-on extensions list and disable it.
janmac53

Post by janmac53 »

Jscher2000: Followed your instructions and was able to fix the problem. Thanks!!
natascore

Post by natascore »

jscher2000 that was cool i followed your instructions and it worked! i believe that is a first for me,i have tried many other instructions for many other problems and never had success for any till now THANK YOU.