Cant install firefox 43 HELP windows XP

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
DanRaisch

Re: Cant install firefox 43 HELP windows XP

Post by DanRaisch »

theoldthug, you can create a new profile rather than deleting the old one. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager and http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

If Firefox runs properly with the new profile you can then copy over the bookmarks from the old one -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
theoldthug

Post by theoldthug »

Can anyone tell me where the profile is to delete? I have XP
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The KnowledgeBase gives the location for the profile on an XP system as:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile folder>

The Application Data folder is a hidden folder; to show hidden folders, open Windows Explorer and choose "Tools → Folder Options → View (tab) → Show hidden files and folders".
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

for all windows:

go START and execute this line

%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\
that will show you the profiles(.ini) and if not re-aranged like hiere you will find \Profiles as Dan pointed out.

%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

simplest way is to open firefox, then enter about:support and click on the button to open the profile folder - after that close firefox.
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
theoldthug

Post by theoldthug »

Pls remember that I do not have Firefox installed because it will not install for me, keeps giving error. That is why previous answers said to delete profile. I cant do anything that says to open firefox and proceed. So I am just not sure how to exactly proceed. Don't want to screw up my system either. Not exactly sure if I need to delete or what. Sorry for I am not real savy on the computer.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

We've posted information (July 25th, 2016, 9:54 am) on the location of the Firefox profile. You need to follow the directory path to find that profile and delete it, including everything in the sub-directories.

Then follow this procedure -- Close all applications and reboot the computer.
Delete any downloaded or partially downloaded Firefox installer files. (Names like Firefox Setup 43.0.1.exe or similar referring to "Firefox Setup..."
Clear the browser cache (of whatever browser you are using to download FF) and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.
theoldthug

Post by theoldthug »

DanRaisch

I followed your instructions posted July 28 6:10 am. After installing firefox and running it an error box came up saying " Your firefox profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible." I then restored the profile and got the same "well this is embarrassing page, which after 15 seconds goes to a crash report box. The profile folder I I deleted was called t1yh671t.default-1450276573750. This was in the folder Profiles. From the path Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\t1yh671t.default-1450276573750
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Installing Firefox should create a new profile that you would be able to use initially. Repeat the above process to try installing Firefox again. If it will not load, try navigating to the default profile location I identified above (July 25) and see if a profile has been created there.
theoldthug

Post by theoldthug »

I will try again but the first time I did navigate to profile and a new one was not created, I checked
therube

Post by therube »

Profile folder - Firefox

Likewise, your profiles.ini may still have remnants of your old (crashing, & now removed?) Profile.

If in fact you have deleted it, or renamed it, use Profile Manager to remove it from the profile list, then create a new Profile.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14466911
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript